Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Scouting vs Player Support & Development vs Coaching

Is it mostly down to our scouting? In your view which are the TWO key things we're getting right.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
The media narrative would have you believe that unearthing these gems of players is all down to our excellent scouting.
My view is that what we do well is scout players well, support and develop them well and then coach them well.
I think of Caicedo and Mitoma as obvious examples of scouting well but then we have Solly March, Mac Allister etc.

Is it mostly down to our scouting? In your view which are the two (from three) key things we're getting right.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Bit obvious really - only someone not following Brighton would not understand the complete package TB has going on behind the scenes. It’s not possible to say which 3 of your poll choices are more ‘right’ than the other - they are interconnected and the Club would not be what it was if all 3 aspects were not considered integral to its success so far - It’s also having a sustainable business plan and an owner who is a fan.

I think you are right about the media though - other clubs too probably think it’s all about the scouts but a few are realising that even buying our scouts, or coaching teams and back room staff, it will still leave them struggling below us in the table months later 😂

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It’s all of them, but as I can’t vote for all of them I went the first two as coaching is something most professional clubs can do well, but it takes a knack to do the others

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's simple, it's culture innit. If the culture is right, all the decisions follow and, in my experience, culture comes from the very top.

And that's something that can't be bought (y)

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It's simple, it's culture innit. If the culture is right, all the decisions follow and, in my experience, culture comes from the very top.

And that's something that can't be bought (y)
Absolutely agree - Culture is the pinnacle of it all isn’t it - it’s the measure of a good football club - at Brighton, the culture it’s really distinct - our outlook, our longterm aims, the way as GP used to say, all staff see themselves as part of one team - and some key staff have been at the Club a long time, which also creates stability and a chance for the culture to be embedded. Not least, that the Club is owned by an absolute fan! Part of that culture is also the way we always are ready with backup staff and players as previous ones leave. I think the number of ex- players that PB/TB have brought into the Club as Academy staff also contributes to a culture that youngsters can see when they join - they see the values of the Club lived out by their mentors. I think this reinforces the perception that Brighton is a good entry point for young PL hopefuls who will be attracted to that culture of inclusivity, commitment to career development and ex-player mentorship.

(but not saying here anything most of us don’t already know!)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Off topic I’m afraid but I was a bit taken aback with Potter’s interview after the Forest match about new signings.
He stated 2 or 3 times that his role as coach was to develop what’s already there, implying he has no (or very little) input on player recruitment. Surely this wasn’t the case when he was at the Albion, although we didn’t sign any of his former players. Perhaps he was already writing his leaving speech

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
D – Luck.

:moo:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Expectation also plays a part.

The club and the fans are happier with how we are doing and don't expect instant success unlike many other so called bigger clubs. As a result we afford to spend a degree of time honing young talent, maybe loaning some out, or drip feeding them into the first team set up like Fergusson, Sarmiento, and Enciso, and coaching them over a period of time.

Clubs like Everton, West Ham, Chelsea etc just seem to want 'ready made' Prem players as the pressure from supporters seems far higher. A couple of defeats for clubs such as these sees a complete meltdown, whereas for us we are mostly happy to see the club develop and thrive over a wider period of time.

Much happier having a well run club like ours where the majority of fans are on the same page and we can see the bigger picture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here