Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Scotland, west coast and/or islands

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Glencoe is not to be missed, and also a shoutout for Glenfinnan with its Bonnie Prince Charlie monument on the banks of Loch Shiel and the adjacent viaduct of Harry Potter fame.

Red Squirrel

Oct 13, 2022
The Highlands
People don't go to the West Coast for the weather (or the midges). The scenery is spectacular and that's why there are so many tourists. But you will have the threat of rain.

The North of Scotland isn't as warm as England but there are places which are nice and dry and midge free. Moray has less precipitation than most counties in the UK, there are very few midges and there are easy day trips to Loch Ness, the Cairngorms, Balmoral, Speyside, the Black Isle and beyond. There are forest walks, mountain treks, countless miles of beautiful sandy beaches, every town has a golf course, most have a distillery to visit and there aren't many people. The food is improving.

I have family on the Western Isles who do gardening in Beekeeping gear! But here is their advice: Stay out of shady places, wear bright clothing, eat marmite. Most people have a can of smidge to hand. It works. As long as you're prepared and book early, you'll have a great time on the West coast.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I fell in love with the Isle of Arran on a 6th form field trip back in the early 70s. If you like walking and scenery it is just fantastic. If you know a bit about geology, so much the better.
It‘s easy to get to - Glasgow by train to Ardrossan and a ferry over to the island. Brilliant.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Love Mull with the added bonus of Iona

Skye was good but the bridge changed everything, overrun these days

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Love Mull with the added bonus of Iona

Skye was good but the bridge changed everything, overrun these days
Our family had a brilliant week on Mull a few years ago. Tobermory is a lovely place with quite a lot going on, Iona is an amazing place, Fingal's cave is a great trip and Ulva is also a lovely little island which is easily reachable.

So wild and unspoilt - loved it.

Arran is also a super island for a family holiday and easier to get around.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
For the Highlands stay in Dornoch, lovely small town about an hour north of Inverness, stunning beach
to avoid the middies head for the Lowlands - try Kirkcudbright - The Artists town, and then you can have days out into Galloway Forestry Park, fairly quiet compared to the more tourist trip places.
Skye is beautiful but not sure there’s a weeks holiday there - we’ve been twice each for 3 days and that was enough

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Personally, I would walk five hundred miles, then I would walk five hundred more.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
as Mick Channon once said "the best thing in Scotland is the road to England" . The scenery is outstanding , the people ? , meh :unsure:

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Personally, I would walk five hundred miles, then I would walk five hundred more.

heiitse-cfc.gif

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Much of the above from other people. Skye is wonderful. We have stayed on the North end of the island two or three times, and the views in fine weather northwards up the coast and other islands are spectacular. I would vouch for Ardnamurchan, too. And the Isle of Mull.
And we have always found the people hospitable, friendly and welcoming!
edit: and Arran!

Last edited:

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
As others have said the West Coast is stunning, we did the North Coast 500 last year. I've travelled to far flung places across the world, but the NC500 is up there in my top 3 holidays, it blew us away.

Again as others have said if you can see your way to go further north you won't regret it, the scenery is stunning, the beaches pristine and you'll have to find a new word for wow, as you'll be saying it so often.

One must man made place for me was Inverewe Gardens. It's a National Trust of Scotland place, so if you're a member of the English one you get in for free. Nice 1950s house surrounded by amazing gardens, alongside a Loch, views are amazing and palm trees everywhere, just bizarre!

The views from Stoer Lighthouse are incredible. Just take the coastal road anywhere up there and stop along the way as you see things. That's all we did, you'll find plenty of gems.

Skye itself is bloody amazing, lots to see a do. We only stayed 3 nights, could've done 4 or 5 easily, so we'll be going back at some stage. Take some decent walking boots and a rain coat, the weather closes in very quickly especially around the Fairy Pools.

As to the midges, yeah July won't be great, so long sleeve shirts would be best, but Avon soft skin spray is your friend. Stopped me getting bitten.

+1 on the Avon skin spray, midges hate it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As others have said the West Coast is stunning, we did the North Coast 500 last year. I've travelled to far flung places across the world, but the NC500 is up there in my top 3 holidays, it blew us away.

Again as others have said if you can see your way to go further north you won't regret it, the scenery is stunning, the beaches pristine and you'll have to find a new word for wow, as you'll be saying it so often.

One must man made place for me was Inverewe Gardens. It's a National Trust of Scotland place, so if you're a member of the English one you get in for free. Nice 1950s house surrounded by amazing gardens, alongside a Loch, views are amazing and palm trees everywhere, just bizarre!

The views from Stoer Lighthouse are incredible. Just take the coastal road anywhere up there and stop along the way as you see things. That's all we did, you'll find plenty of gems.

Skye itself is bloody amazing, lots to see a do. We only stayed 3 nights, could've done 4 or 5 easily, so we'll be going back at some stage. Take some decent walking boots and a rain coat, the weather closes in very quickly especially around the Fairy Pools.

As to the midges, yeah July won't be great, so long sleeve shirts would be best, but Avon soft skin spray is your friend. Stopped me getting bitten.

Stoer lighthouse is indeed stunning. One of our favourite campsites is at a place called Clachtoll, from where the views to the South towards Stac Pollaidh (pronounced Stack Polly) are wonderful. But just a bit further north Stoer is magical. The first time we went there it was a glorious day and no one else around, the solitude was inspiring. Walked round the lighthouse to find the views to the North, binoculars to see the dolphins out at sea and just sitting there drinking in the peace and thinking that the next thing to the West was somewhere on the coast of USA/Canada. A glorious part of the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here