Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Schelotto

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Will he start Saturday?

What we know; Potter isn't throwing players into the first team unless he thinks they're good enough and can contribute. Putting him on at 65mins was a huge endorsement from the manager that he has been seeing things he likes in training.

It's a big call, and personally would be excited to see him in the XI come 2pm. :thumbsup:

Yes, not often you see a full back subbed when there's no injury. He's looking to get Schelloto in the side

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Agree that we'll likely have a crack at Bogle again (though I hear that Derby have recently managed to reduce their wage bill so maybe won't sell!)

As we're looking to be a top 10 team, and I believe that's the genuine aim, Montoya or Schellotto would have to show more than they have done so far to stay in the side.

I rate Montoya. But we certainly need some more quality depth in the position.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I rate Montoya. .

I don't unfortunately ( when he's playing well then he can do a job but slips below the standard to often )

Agree with the rest of post

We don't need a world beater but we do need a solid 7+ / 10 a week

Montaya is far too often 7 , 7 , 8 , 3 , 4 , 7 , 7 , etc

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't unfortunately ( when he's playing well then he can do a job but slips below the standard to often )

Agree with the rest of post

We don't need a world beater but we do need a solid 7+ / 10 a week

Montaya is far too often 7 , 7 , 8 , 3 , 4 , 7 , 7 , etc

In all the appearances he has made for us, has he ever been Man of the Match or anywhere near it? It's not necessarily terrible to have a consistent 7 every week. Except some weeks, like you say he's a 4.

Having said that I could see Schellotto coming in and being 9, 2, 8, 10 , 1. I'm not sure which I'd prefer

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think that is the main issue though, his contributions in the final 1/3rd are at times simply not adding the dynamics to the team that Potter is asking for. Burn at left back has been a revelation in that regard, happily exchanging quick passes, comfortable in possession and willing to run passed players. I'm just not seeing those contributions from Montoya. I therefore agree with you, his place at present is under threat unless he does improve his final third play.

Oddly I don't think Burn utilises the attacking options he has to get the ball into the box either. Burn seems to take up positions further inside than Montoya does and he looks for a forward pass on the floor to a faster player. Montoya moves out wide and is given the ball is some deadly positions when he should then look to play the ball behind the centre backs at pace towards the space between the penalty spot and the 6 yard line where 2 nippy strikers could mop up the move.

Burn has been solid and taken his chance well but Bernardo would be a better option for Potterball

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
In all the appearances he has made for us, has he ever been Man of the Match or anywhere near it? It's not necessarily terrible to have a consistent 7 every week. Except some weeks, like you say he's a 4.

Having said that I could see Schellotto coming in and being 9, 2, 8, 10 , 1. I'm not sure which I'd prefer

I think with those scores then as a wing back I'd favour him as he'd win us points.

Less so as a RB as those scores would cost us .

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Oddly I don't think Burn utilises the attacking options he has to get the ball into the box either. Burn seems to take up positions further inside than Montoya does and he looks for a forward pass on the floor to a faster player. Montoya moves out wide and is given the ball is some deadly positions when he should then look to play the ball behind the centre backs at pace towards the space between the penalty spot and the 6 yard line where 2 nippy strikers could mop up the move.

Burn has been solid and taken his chance well but Bernardo would be a better option for Potterball

Burn has got at least one assist, crossing from a wide position this year, Connolly's first v Spurs. (There might be others but I can't remember them)

But yes, when Bernardo is fit and assuming we stick largely with a back 4, it's going to be a tight selection call at left back. I can't help thinking that although, Bernardo is more natural in that position, Burn has done enough to keep his place.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Trouble is, infuriatingly, he doesn't.

I get the feeling Potter does not agree with you on this.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Burn has got at least one assist, crossing from a wide position this year, Connolly's first v Spurs. (There might be others but I can't remember them)

But yes, when Bernardo is fit and assuming we stick largely with a back 4, it's going to be a tight selection call at left back. I can't help thinking that although, Bernardo is more natural in that position, Burn has done enough to keep his place.

Burn does have that assist but it wasn't a quick early ball in behind the centre back and he doesn't find himself in those positions in the same way Montoya does. Burn looks like a centreback playing out of position but he has done incredibly well and we aren't desperate to find an alternative even though Bong is available. I'm in no way slating Burn but I think Bernardo will be an even better fit for Potterball

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Will he start Saturday?

What we know; Potter isn't throwing players into the first team unless he thinks they're good enough and can contribute. Putting him on at 65mins was a huge endorsement from the manager that he has been seeing things he likes in training.

It's a big call, and personally would be excited to see him in the XI come 2pm. :thumbsup:

I think Montoya was substituted because he was having a really poor game. The substitution was more about him than El Galgo

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Bullshit, The Greyhound has never had that many good apperances in the space of 5 games. Thats not saying GP cant turn that around, after all it was his first game out after injury. He will have one game a season where he hits those highs. Other than Chelsea give me games where he has hit 8+.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Bullshit, The Greyhound has never had that many good apperances in the space of 5 games. Thats not saying GP cant turn that around, after all it was his first game out after injury. He will have one game a season where he hits those highs. Other than Chelsea give me games where he has hit 8+.

I can't

Chelsea was the only one

Potter has improved a lot of players though

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I can't

Chelsea was the only one

Potter has improved a lot of players though

I do remember the Chelsea game. I am not even sure he was brilliant - just really really gung ho and attacking, which cheered us all up and created some entertainment.

I also remember being at his first game (I think?) away at Tottenham. And he genuinely looked like the proverbial 'guy that won a competition to play in the premier league'. Genuinely.

I have a record of being overly positive and optimistic about all Brighton players and never I give up hope they are brilliant - right up to the point where they get sold and the manager does an interview basically saying 'they got sold because everyone could see they were sh*t'.

But I'm really not sure about Schelloto.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Will he start Saturday?

I think Montoya was substituted because he was having a really poor game. The substitution was more about him than El Galgo

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I do remember the Chelsea game. I am not even sure he was brilliant - just really really gung ho and attacking, which cheered us all up and created some entertainment.

I also remember being at his first game (I think?) away at Tottenham. And he genuinely looked like the proverbial 'guy that won a competition to play in the premier league'. Genuinely.

I have a record of being overly positive and optimistic about all Brighton players and never I give up hope they are brilliant - right up to the point where they get sold and the manager does an interview basically saying 'they got sold because everyone could see they were sh*t'.

But I'm really not sure about Schelloto.

Hope he proves me wrong.

As has been said, the fact that GP was prepared to throw him on at (from memory) 1-1 in a massive home game either speaks volumes about what he's seen of Schellotto in training or about what he's seen from Montoya on the pitch. There's reasons to be hopeful

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here