Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Santa

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
For those parents on here, how old were your kids when you had 'the chat' about Santa, or alternatively how old were they when they understood?

I ask because one of our neighbours flat-out told her four-year-old son the truth because she "doesn't want to be a mother who lies to her child", which seems to me rather harsh.

Thoughts?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Children and Grandchildren are lifes greatest gifts. Giving at Christmas is a wonderful experience and all the time they believe then life is good.
Clever kids go on believing just for the gifts.
The other thing is that kid now goes to school and tells his mates who accuses him of being stupid or similar.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
You don’t need to tell them, they find out the truth for themselves and the unspoken truth actually becomes a joke or a bond with your parents.

I think once most kids realise, they appreciate that their parents tried to make the story real for them and give them something magical. Whilst I get the not wanting to lie to them approach, you’ve also kind of robbed them of something special and fun.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A mouthy kid at school 'ruined' it for ours, at about 8.
8 ? I doubt I got beyond 6. I think by then it becomes apparent as there are so many different versions of this character running around. Most of us saw him in the Co-op anyway.

Pretty sure I believed in him, just found him rather dull and couldn't understand why my parents couldn't give me the presents.

But seeing him before Christmas made it all so bland. Bit like playing the FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley ruined it.

el punal

As an aside - I used to work as a postman and about this time of year an old dear came up to me and said :

“My, postie. Your sack is so full it’s fit to burst.”

I replied “I know, and in a couple of hours it’ll be empty and I’ll be relieved.”

Just thought I’d put that one out there. :drink:

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
You don’t need to tell them, they find out the truth for themselves and the unspoken truth actually becomes a joke or a bond with your parents.

I think once most kids realise, they appreciate that their parents tried to make the story real for them and give them something magical. Whilst I get the not wanting to lie to them approach, you’ve also kind of robbed them of something special and fun.
Perfect way to describe it imho .

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
8 year old hasn’t been told but I suspect is clued up. Younger brother (4) still very much has the magic of the cup, with his brother playing along and benefiting for his amusement

As far as presents go we’ve always explained that some are from Santa and anything of value is from us or the family, to hopefully avoid the playground / nursery suggestion that “Santa loves me more than you”

Regards

A lier

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I think my son was about 8 when he said,”Some kids at school say that there isn’t a Santa and that it is really you.” I said to him,”That’s because they have been naughty and he won’t be visiting them.”

He walked away saying “I knew they were wrong!” Got away with it for another year!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here