Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sanchez coming to claim crosses

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Whilst rummaging around on the Premier League stats pages (https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_high_claim), I came across this little gem:

crosses.JPG

I don't know much about goalkeeping, but I know a bit about stats. These are extraordinary for Sanchez when compared to the rest - Bradman level anomaly.

Does he just come for more balls as the are corssed into the box, or is he better at it, or is he coming for more because he's so damn good at it? I'd be interested to hear your views because this data backs up what I see in the game - a real willingness to come for crosses and a serious ability to hold on to them.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'll never forget that one in injury time at Anfield last season.

I cheered it nearly as much as the goal.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I think confidence is the main thing. He backs himself when the ball is played into the box through the air. There are some keepers that you can see don't fancy it, and go for the punch - and that can just lead to more trouble.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And there are 5 first choice keepers who only have 3 claims.

Nice Robbie. Keep coming for those crosses.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He is six foot and several inches and I wouldn’t want to get in his way:albion2:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just one of the improvements over Maty Ryan, and really good to see that he comes to catch the cross rather than punching.
After claiming the cross, he is ready to either launch a counter attack or slow the game down to ensure that the team can regroup.

I fear however that it won't be long before some of the giants in European football look to offer serious money for him.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
This time last year we were moaning about Ryan having little presence in the box. Big Bobbie is the complete opposite.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Just one of the improvements over Maty Ryan, and really good to see that he comes to catch the cross rather than punching.
After claiming the cross, he is ready to either launch a counter attack or slow the game down to ensure that the team can regroup.

I fear however that it won't be long before some of the giants in European football look to offer serious money for him.

You beat me to it, but I promise I wrote mine before seeing this!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah I commented on it after Norwich... getting this reply:

that is the basic job for a keeper

But its not a basic job. There is no basic job while playing top level football.

Collecting crosses demands a variety of technical, physical and psychological skills and Sanchez is top notch in all those departments.

The best goalkeepers will rarely have to do fantastic saves (though its good if they are capable) because before they need to do it, they've dealt with it in some other manner: intercepting through balls, collecting crosses, not leaving dangerous rebounds, positioning yourself in the goal properly... all these things are as or more important than the glorious highlight reel saves.

It might look easy and it might look basic but its sort of like Cruyff said: ”playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.”

Hopefully the club can keep him for another two or three years. Wouldnt be possible with some outfield equivalent but goalkeepers are a bit easier to hold on to.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It does seem to (more or less) remove high crosses from an opposition's armoury and that must be helping our defensive stats this season.

You do see oppo wingers in a deep crossing position and all the can see is Robbie, plus Dunky, Duffy and Burn is front of him vand making a late decision to check back and knock it backwards!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yeah I commented on it after Norwich... getting this reply:

But its not a basic job. There is no basic job while playing top level football.

Collecting crosses demands a variety of technical, physical and psychological skills and Sanchez is top notch in all those departments.

The best goalkeepers will rarely have to do fantastic saves (though its good if they are capable) because before they need to do it, they've dealt with it in some other manner: intercepting through balls, collecting crosses, not leaving dangerous rebounds, positioning yourself in the goal properly... all these things are as or more important than the glorious highlight reel saves.

It might look easy and it might look basic but its sort of like Cruyff said: ”playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.”

Hopefully the club can keep him for another two or three years. Wouldnt be possible with some outfield equivalent but goalkeepers are a bit easier to hold on to.

Well yes and if it was that basic, why would more keepers than not elect to punch and why would some keepers have reputations for either always being rooted to their line or always having a flap and missing

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The astonishing thing about that stat isn't strictly that he's top, but that he's not that far short of double the amount of 2nd place

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
He is a beast. You can count his errors this year on one pig's trotter (Leicester flap and Norwich fluff)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If opposing teams get wise to this, they'll be deliberately placing a player in an offside position to stop him from coming and claiming. Then when the resulting goals are disallowed, they'll claim that the blocking player was not interfering with play, won't they Brendan?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It must make you so much more confident as a defender, knowing your keeper is there behind you to do this. It's amazing how much our defence improved when he came in, and presumably that is why. Ryan was a great shot stopper, but he never commanded his area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here