Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sami hypia all over again

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
My totally random contribution to this thread is that my sister in law comes from the same Finnish town as Hypia :)

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Need I say more
Team selections formations all looking similar to Sami
A clueless mess, and we’ve got Potter for another 6 years, by the time he’s finished we’ll be in the Swedish 4th division

I said it 11 months ago, the majority laughed and said Nah, quite a few people singing from the same hymn sheet now, and there’s an arrogance from within the club that they’ve got the right man for the job
Potter will not be sacked and will still be the manager when we’re in the championship next year

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I’ve been saying Potter reeks of Sami v2.0 for ages. The pretty passing has been a deception but now it’s clear as day.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Even the most grounded must be worried about how we score so few with so much possession but concede so often. We huff n puff take ages looking pretty then get a mental block about how to score when the opposition having been under the cosh break away and score at will.

Defence is a shadow of former seasons, midfield creates very little and we are still struggling yet again to score. Pretty on the eye yes but also more frustrating.

And have nearly the worst record at scoring from set pieces, and conceding from set pieces

What do they do in training?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Sami Hyypia was obsessed with the idea of full backs playing as wingers up the pitch. He believed the central midfielders should be able to drop in and cover those positions when we lost the ball and there was a counter attack. The problem was that despite Bruno at right back, he had the options of Maksimenko, Chicksen and eventually Joe Bennett. None of them good enough, although Bennett's had a surprisingly good career since. The formation wasn't going to work because Forster-Caskey and Ince were rubbish central midfielders for what he wanted them to do. Gary Gardner was no better. Wingers and strikers were supposed to be essentially the only attackers, supported by full backs. It was doomed, but Hyypia refused to change the formation until far too late in the day. Eventually, he politely resigned because he wasn't a good enough manager and he didn't have a good enough squad.

Hyypia didn't have the squad and that's the difference here - Graham Potter absolutely does. I strongly believe that if Potter sells off the players he doesn't want, they won't end up in non-league football. The problem is that Potter isn't prepared to change his formation or pick a team to suit his players. Webster on the right of a 3 allows him to get forward as he wants to, but he's been on the left where he's not comfortable. White has been shunted around because he's a good player but it's not suiting him to be a variety player. We have been using Trossard terribly but hoping he's going to pick up positions where he can influence the game but it's all too fleeting.

The squad might be too big for this manager and his roulette wheel policy on team selection, but it's not lacking for talent. We really ought to be playing a formation to suit the players we have, rather than playing a formation the manager likes and squeezing his players into the team. 2 wins in 16 games - wake up, or get out.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The notion of a ‘best starting 11’ is very old fashioned and antiquated. That sort of tired old dogma is the complete opposite of what Potter is all about.

Maybe follow Forest for a while if you are struggling to cope?
Well this modern manager malarkey not quite working is it, much rather go back to the old fashioned & antiquated way of a best starting 11

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Need I say more
Team selections formations all looking similar to Sami
A clueless mess, and we’ve got Potter for another 6 years, by the time he’s finished we’ll be in the Swedish 4th division

Damn a year ago and this is spot on. Except he’s far worse than Sami who had to deal with Grady and some random youth striker upfront.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here