Sacked

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I've been self-employed since 1983 but in 1997 I sacked myself and went fishing for a month. I had no sympathy for myself really because I had had it coming for months. Once I'd taken myself back on again I knuckled down and have not looked back since although I have had to have a word with myself recently about my punctuality.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was sacked from a very will known brighton solicitors. I was set on as management accountant taking over from a woman who was leaving the job. Anyway, I was told not to go into the accounts office as it was month end and they were all too busy...so I ended up sitting outsid in the typing pool. I eventually moved into the room an was sat on the edge of her desk...as she was " just clearing my stuff" ...this went on for three weeks and eventually I had enough and said to the boss that I need to sit at her desk and start managing the dept. She moved out.....locked all the drawers....and took my place perched on the end of the desk working on her knees! I made it obvious this was intolerable and the manager called me in and said it was not working and paid me off with three months salary. I met him some months later as my dad had placed a huge contract with them and I spoke to him about my time there and it turned out that she was still there and it was a non position as she would never have given up the job.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was sacked from Joe Lyons at the bottom of St James's Street when I was 17.

I had this urge to stress test the dumb waiter that took dirty crockery up to the kitchens on the top floor and returned clean crockery to the ground floor. So, from the kitchens, I overloaded the dumb waiter with about twice its normal capacity of china and hit the down button.

The lift arrived at speed on the groundfloor and hit the buffers, the weight snapped the two wooden shelves allowing the crockery to meet with its final destiny. The manageress opened the doors to a cascade of broken plates and cups which spilled out onto the floor.

I was summoned and sacked.

I worked for Jolyons too and nearly got sacked when a spoon was put into the vast dishwasher and screwed up the works. All the people working in the kitchen were sacked, until the manageress calmed down and realised that we weren't all guilty - in fact, I think that the culprit got let off with a warning.

Wasn't there for the dumb waiter incident: that must have been before or after my time

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I read recently of a (outstanding sacking policy) mass sacking at a company in singapore.
They conducted a fire-drill, and when everybody was out of the office, advised people that if their building access cards didnt work anymore, they were redundant!...

That's brutal!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Been fired a few times.

Forgetting to set the alarm when I locked up the video shop in woodingdean one night.

Hit my boss working in a warehouse (the bloke was a ****ing ****, could only take so much crap and I snapped, not proud of it but my god it felt great)

Fired from NTL when doing the tv installs, I had a trainee that was doing the external work whilst I did the internals, I taught him how to terminate the street cabinets and checked his first few until I was happy enough with his work and stopped checking it, then unknown to me he decided to just start lashing in cables messily and stopped using mastic where the cables came through external walls, had a flurry of complaints that got me fired and some charges for damp issues in houses. That one really pissed me off as I enjoyed that job.

Been 10 years now since I got sacked from a job. Started looking over my shoulder more too to protect myself from other people cock ups. Now happily in engineering with a good job and good people around me. I have no intention of getting goonered from this one!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports