Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Rumbles between schools

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Totally random but I used to live near Balfour Road and knew there always a few skirmishes between Stringer and Fawcett but what about Varndean boys...did they have a rep?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Falmer massive would have a Luzzing ”off” against patcham fawcett every now and again

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There was occasionally something going off between the Knoll, Nevill and HGS back in the day. All nice and friendly with no knives - just a bit of a dust up here and there. I imagine they go round tooled up with machetes, knives and sub machine guns these days.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There were regular rumours of supposed OFFS between Hove Park and Blatch Mill, but so far as I remember nothing ever actually materialised.

Which for me, as a HP student who lived LITERALLY next to the gates of BM was just as well.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Used to kick off all the time in Ashton-In-Makerfield our School Brychall Grammar School against Edmond Arrowsmith Catholic School a single lane to our school separated the two schools, regular fights at the bus stops and outside at the gates, they even changed the times we left in an effort to stop it, our school had loads of skinheads when I first joined and then the Farrah boys took over.

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
There were regular rumours of supposed OFFS between Hove Park and Blatch Mill, but so far as I remember nothing ever actually materialised.

Which for me, as a HP student who lived LITERALLY next to the gates of BM was just as well.
In 96 there was offs I was a blatch mill boy

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Regular meet ups between Fawcett and Stringer, it’s what wood and metal work classes were for 👍 Varndean were nowhere to be seen in the early 80’s

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Seaford Head versus Newlands on Denton Corner in the 80s. State v private school. Prearranged. Many expulsions the next day for that one, like a North Korean show trial the following morning in assembly as the names were read out, the guilty were made to stand, followed by the headmaster's "Expelled" each time.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I can remember one snowy day when there was an epic "snowball" fight between Stringer, Varndean and Varndean XI Form. I think the snowballs got forgotten about. A few windows at Varndean got smashed. The Stringer headmaster was driving around in his car shouting at people " A black mark upon you boy, a black mark upon you all!"
Legend has it that in the 70s a similar snowball battle took place with an infamous Varndean Boys history teacher acting as if he was leading the Charge of the Light Brigade

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As a proud SLOB (St Luke's Old Boy) it was strange that Elm Grove were considered the bitter Primary rival. They never turned up though. Possibly didn't fancy the climb up Bentham Road where our MASSED ranks would be waiting outside the sweet shop with our ginger beers.

Oddly, Queen's Park were never seen as anything but a poor cousin. Shame really, we could have had some great BUNDLES in the park.

In secondary school I was at Stanley Deason which was a surprisingly calm place given the reputation of the area. Dorothy Stringer were invited over once for a biffing but failed to show. So we had to settle for beating them at Chess.

Falmer and Tideway were invited but the cards were lost in the post. Thank f*** for that.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Also a story that Fawcett were going to “nobble” Varndean’s Steve Ovett before school sports at Withdean, however in true Eton Rifles fashion the brains beat the brawn.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Regular meet ups between Fawcett and Stringer, it’s what wood and metal work classes were for 👍 Varndean were nowhere to be seen in the early 80’s
Varndean used to piss on Stringer in the 70s, and not just on the Varndean football pitches (Stringer didn't have any football pitches). It was Brazil vs. Ebbsfleet United. While Stringer's future Kwikfit fitters were in woodwork and metalwork remedial classes and then rushing home for their tea at 5 o'clock, the future leaders of industry at Varndean were posher, studying hard for their exams, before having a late supper at 8 o'clock.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

I went to Blatch from 98-03 and it only happened once in that time. It really was ultimately one lad from each school with a load more reluctantly getting involved. I was a mere bystander but it was quite a thrill hearing the Hove Park lads approach the west wing field sounding like a load of Galatasaray ultras

there was one UNBELIEVABLE fight between two lads in our year though. Genuinely wanted to do a number on each other and they ended up one on one in the unoccupied tennis courts like they were in a wwe HELL IN A CELL. The rumours were that the teachers let them crack on with it as they were actually intrigued as to which of them would win. They only intervened when one of them did a near perfect DDT on the bare concrete

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Also a story that Fawcett were going to “nobble” Varndean’s Steve Ovett before school sports at Withdean, however in true Eton Rifles fashion the brains beat the brawn.
As if they could have caught him. I tried in a cross country and finished 3rd before nearly throwing up in the changing room from running beyond my capability!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here