Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Rugby World cup.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just to clarify, that's the rugby league world cup, not the proper rugby one
Is that the one where the little fat bloke run straight in to another little fat bloke then wriggle like you are shagging a worm hole then another little fat bloke does the same...ad infinitum?

If so that's good isn't it, as we don't usually have a cat in Hell's chance of beating the Aussies or the Kiwis?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Is that the one where the little fat bloke run straight in to another little fat bloke then wriggle like you are shagging a worm hole then another little fat bloke does the same...ad infinitum?

If so that's good isn't it, as we don't usually have a cat in Hell's chance of beating the Aussies or the Kiwis?

I'm pretty sure "man runs straight into another man while holding a ball" basically sums up rugby in general.

We reached the final last time, and beat NZ 2-1 when they toured here a couple of years ago. The two games we won were, by all amounts, brilliant.
Guess which game I went to :facepalm:

Anyway, I expect it'll be postponed. There's no point in a rugby world cup in either code without Australia or NZ.

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
I seem to remember the names of Dave Bickers and Vic Eastwood, loved watching the scrambling.

OMG, yes, I remember both those names despite having not thought about them for nearly 60 years! Childhood memories eh?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Weird, we have shown with hosting Cricket, football .

Other than England having to pick an entirely different squad for the 50 over series against Pakistan and the Wembley covid variant, and a few positive covid results and players having to self isolate in the Euros you're 100% right

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm pretty sure "man runs straight into another man while holding a ball" basically sums up rugby in general.

Ah, now that's an interesting discussion. There's a fair bit of debate around this now. The director of coaching at our club says "Rugby's not a contact sport but an evasion one" and there's certainly a few that there are too many big hits in the game.

I really like watching women's rugby as there's far less contact and they do try to run the ball more. But, yes, I agree with your description of the men's game, as it is

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Other than England having to pick an entirely different squad for the 50 over series against Pakistan and the Wembley covid variant, and a few positive covid results and players having to self isolate in the Euros you're 100% right

Wembley was outside the players bubble, a few players testing positive is nothing - so you have found one example out of all our domestic leagues being back, numerous international tournaments - even that was shut down quickly to show the process works.

:clap2:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just to clarify, that's the rugby league world cup, not the proper rugby one

Oh ffs I did think it was a bit extreme. Nothing to see here then.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Australia & New Zealand withdraw from the Rugby World cup in the UK. Apparently they are not trusting the UK methods of containing the Pandemic.

According to most of the articles I've read and people I've spoken to, it has much more to do with NRL clubs in Australia and their complete disregard for anything that doesn't directly contribute to their coffers and power, than the covid situation in the UK.

Are there any sports that can reasonably and uncontroversially described as "well run"?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Weird, we have shown with hosting Cricket, football and Tennis we can do it safely.

It sounds more like Australia/NZ carrying on the zero covid plan.

I dont see how Australia can host the T20 world cup this year.

I would argue our hosting of the euro final shows we can’t be trusted

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Australia & New Zealand withdraw from the Rugby World cup in the UK. Apparently they are not trusting the UK methods of containing the Pandemic.

I would say it’s also down to the fact the average Aussie rugby league player cannot be trusted to act sensibly - every other day there’s some sort of NRL scandal here. A load of them got sacked by their club a few weeks ago for having a party during lockdown

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...t/news-story/234accc7143c1afb583f427b08b80910

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Rugby World Cup confirmed as being cancelled until 2022. :nono:

Given the pleasure the Euros and Olympics have given us this would have been a great spectacle as we head into Autumn and another fillip for the nation. Still we have it to look forward to next year now and with the Commonwealth Games in August and football World Cup in Nov/Dec, and T20 World Cup the second half of the year looks fully loaded with high quality global sporting events.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here