Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Roy Grace coming to ITV next year

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Oh. Dear oh dear oh dear! I have really enjoyed this programme but tonight’s episode was fanciful bull shit. Son of American Mafiosi woman gets accidentally killed and then said Mafiosi woman hires ex Navy SEAL pysco to polish off all involved in the accident? He wouldn’t have stopped until Brighton (and Hove) was a ghost town.
Fanciful garbage IMHO

TNBA

TTF

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Oh. Dear oh dear oh dear! I have really enjoyed this programme but tonight’s episode was fanciful bull shit. Son of American Mafiosi woman gets accidentally killed and then said Mafiosi woman hires ex Navy SEAL pysco to polish off all involved in the accident? He wouldn’t have stopped until Brighton (and Hove) was a ghost town.
Fanciful garbage IMHO

TNBA

TTF
Yeah - last nights didn't really grab me either tbh....not the best. Really enjoyed previous episodes, but it all seemed a bit too far fetched yesterday.

And I know it shouldn't - but it still really bugs me that they use aerial shots of cars going eastwards on the A259 towards Rottingdean, then they magically appear next to the pier again in the next shot. I swear at one point last night they even mirrored the shot so it looked like they were going westwards past Roedean back towards Brighton, but the cars were all on the wrong side (ie lane furthest from the cliff side?)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Padded out with non detective stuff with unnecessary scenes with Sandy, Cleo and Ari.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Really disappointed, Grace has quickly become one of those rare must watch Sunday TV events at Chez Hart, like London’s Burning 30 years or so ago, and latterly Line of Duty and Peaky Blinders on the other side.

But that was a two hour plot written on the back of a fag packet, I wonder what Peter James made of it all?

Hopefully back to business as usual next Sunday?

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Has anyone had the misfortune to see 'Wish you were dead' at The Theatre Royal ? My girlfriend and I went on Saturday. The plot was implausible, and it was interspersed with what was presumably meant to be humour. We had paid to have our intelligence insulted for 90 minutes and I felt like I'd had my pocket picked. I couldn't believe it when the audience applauded the actors when the tedium finally came to an end. It should have been the other way round !
As far as 'Grace' is concerned, constant references to and aerial photographs of Brighton, don't compensate for the lack of a decent story line. I'd rather watch a travel documentary, followed by something like 'Unforgotten'. Different league to 'Grace', I'm afraid.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Padded out with non detective stuff with unnecessary scenes with Sandy, Cleo and Ari.
TBF, theres never an unnecessary scene with the gorgeous Cleo / Zoe Tapper....*swoon* :love:

ZoeTapper_Selfie1_Small.jpg
71NQ1E5tHPL._AC_SL1321_.jpg

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Has anyone had the misfortune to see 'Wish you were dead' at The Theatre Royal ? My girlfriend and I went on Saturday. The plot was implausible, and it was interspersed with what was presumably meant to be humour. We had paid to have our intelligence insulted for 90 minutes and I felt like I'd had my pocket picked. I couldn't believe it when the audience applauded the actors when the tedium finally came to an end. It should have been the other way round !
As far as 'Grace' is concerned, constant references to and aerial photographs of Brighton, don't compensate for the lack of a decent story line. I'd rather watch a travel documentary, followed by something like 'Unforgotten'. Different league to 'Grace', I'm afraid.
We saw the first 2 or 3 play adaptations ... but found them so disappointing (just like 2 hours of nonsense on ITV) that we vowed not to go again.

I think those applauding enthusiastically are doing so in blind faith!

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
I like John Simm, but he just isn't how I pictured Grace in the books. I had him older and more GRIZZLED. A bit more like Gene Hunt in Life On Mars.
Strangely, having read all the books I had him as taller and more athletic. Ex rugger player who still does a 5 mike run before work. I like the TV program and enjoy recognising locations, but can help thinking ' Roy Grace doesn't look like that '

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
yes, sadly. Group of 4 went Friday. Not only was the line weak but the ‘lead’ actors were shockingly bad. They were obviously unable to project their voices suitably for theatre which lead to virtually every line being shouted. Reminded us of some amateur production.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
We saw the first 2 or 3 play adaptations ... but found them so disappointing (just like 2 hours of nonsense on ITV) that we vowed not to go again.

I think those applauding enthusiastically are doing so in blind faith!
For whatever reason the original theatrical tours saw TV's Shane Ritchie cast as Roy Grace, don't know if its an urban myth and I really should have asked him, Peter James, when I met him, but ITV orginally wanted to cast Ritchie as Grace and set the show elsehwere in the UK to which Mr James replied if Alfie Moon got the part he'd bury all his books up on the Downs and never let ITV have sight of anything ever again. :)

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
For whatever reason the original theatrical tours saw TV's Shane Ritchie cast as Roy Grace, don't know if its an urban myth and I really should have asked him, Peter James, when I met him, but ITV orginally wanted to cast Ritchie as Grace and set the show elsehwere in the UK to which Mr James replied if Alfie Moon got the part he'd bury all his books up on the Downs and never let ITV have sight of anything ever again. :)

Shane Ritchie was a shocking choice for Roy Grace!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Which isn't true to the books because Sandy doesn't keep sneaking back to Britain.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’m very sad to say, having enjoyed the previous episodes enough and being a big fan of the books (not so much the plays, but even then I’ve seen them out of loyalty), that last episode was balls.

Didn’t buy the acting and hoped Simm would grow into the role a bit. He is very unlike the Grace I always imagined. As someone mentioned above, he’s written rather differently in the book than how he is interpreted for screen. I really like John Simm generally, but his Grace I’m just not buying.

Wouldn’t be a huge fan of Potting or Branson either. Just not cast appropriately for me. Potting for example should be older, snarkier. More of a dick than a loveable Jack-the-lad.

I’m going to watch the rest out of principle, but I thought that was really quite poor to be honest.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
After seeing the very first episode whenever it was first shown and thinking it the worst detective drama we had ever seen, we have now watched series 2 episode 1. My goodness, that was worse. Sorry but it’s film location is not enough to make up for the weak storylines and dreadful acting. One thing I would say is that if you have read a book it will not translate to the screen for you. I haven’t read the books but still think the tv series is garbage.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
After seeing the very first episode whenever it was first shown and thinking it the worst detective drama we had ever seen, we have now watched series 2 episode 1. My goodness, that was worse. Sorry but it’s film location is not enough to make up for the weak storylines and dreadful acting.
Agree. Books are crap, tv series is even worse. It’s just very poorly written rubbish.

I really do fail to see how it’s gained such acclaim as a book series.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
After seeing the very first episode whenever it was first shown and thinking it the worst detective drama we had ever seen, we have now watched series 2 episode 1. My goodness, that was worse. Sorry but it’s film location is not enough to make up for the weak storylines and dreadful acting. One thing I would say is that if you have read a book it will not translate to the screen for you. I haven’t read the books but still think the tv series is garbage.
I’ve seen dozens - hundreds probably including movies - of book adaptations having read the novel. There are good adaptations and less good ones. I would have to agree that this adaptation isn’t the best.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I like John Simm, but he just isn't how I pictured Grace in the books. I had him older and more GRIZZLED. A bit more like Gene Hunt in Life On Mars.
It's a strange one. I wonder if the TV show actually has more appeal to those that haven't read the books for just this reason?

I recall watching the Reacher films with Tom Cruise and not being able to get past the fact that Cruise is about as far from Reacher as you can cast without changing race of gender. I just couldn't engage with anything because I found it so distracting. On re-watching it recently, it's actually a decent thriller who's main character happens to have the same name as a guy in some books I like, but it's taken 10 years to get to that point.

Now the Reacher TV series... That's how you do a proper adaptation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here