Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi To Leave Albion After Tomorrow's Game

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
The summer 23 window left us with zero non-work in progress defensive midfielders, zero PL quality cover for Velts and Estupinan. With a bigger programme ahead and an historic chance in Europe.

Not after-timing, countless posters mentioned these aspects last August.

(Dahoud played a ‘Gundogan’ esque role in Germany, not a DM or pivot).

A woefully deficient window.

@Guinness Boy famously summed it up mid season with RDZ’s having to manage “with one hand tied behind his back”.

This was inevitable once Bild mentioned Bayern really rate him.
Yeah the window wasn't good enough but we also just got really unlucky with injuries. Forgot to mention that we bought Igor too.

De Zerbi still didn't do good enough this season with what he had.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Overrated. one dimensional coach who likes to whinge and moan about not getting enough resources. Should he have been given more money to spend, probably yes but Bloom will never change in that regards unfortunately. RDZ to Bayern nailed on now Tuchel confirmed he is still leaving. Who’s next for us? Amorim would be the dream
His aspirations would be higher than Dewsbury-Hall I rekon and we couldn't even deliver him !

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I’m so sorry he is leaving.

Personally, I think it’s our loss at the end of the day in terms of the football (I think we played the best football I have ever seen in the Premier League under RDZ last season) and suggests to me that we won’t see much investment over the summer apart from the usual older/free transfer types or some young untested starlets who won’t be Premier League ready. I can totally understand why he doesn’t want to stay under those circumstances - However, it’s worked for us financially but we will never compete with the big 7 or 8 clubs spending power. ‘De Zerbi’ ball is a great system but it needs better players than the ones we have to make it work at both ends of the pitch and to compete with those better/bigger Clubs who have emulated it.

We also need a much deeper squad to absorb the level of injuries we are seeing routinely across top flight football if we are going to not only qualify but get through the knockout stages of European campaigns - Roberto warned us about that last summer but the Club thought they knew better or had the long term financial health of the club in mind more. He warned us again in January but again the Club knew better.

I’m sure we will survive as a mid table club for another few seasons but for me, this season has shown without a change of investment level, we have hit the ceiling - despite TB/PB saying otherwise (because obviously for them that’s their ‘dream’ ) - and that, realistically, without that extra investment, how far can we go when money is pouring into more and more Clubs in the EPL from Arab/foreign consortiums?

I hope I am wrong wrong in that assessment - even if I am, I think RDZ has been unfairly maligned by some fans who have not appreciated how much he achieved for us last season nor what an achievement it has been this season to finish near mid-table having competed in Europe (when we were not ready) and having most of our key players out injured.

Thanks Roberto and good luck at your new Club - your energy and ambition pushed us to be better than we were or can afford to be.😍

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe we’re after Southgate?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Haven’t read the whole thread but there have been rumours that we’ve been doing informal meetings with potential replacements for weeks.
For what it’s worth I reckon we’ve known about this for a while.
Whether people like this or not, Burnley have been rumoured to have approached mark Robbbins to replace Vincent Kompany who is one of the people we have been allegedly chatting with.
This hasn’t just been decided IMHO. We’ve planned for this for some time.
At least we can get someone in who wants to be here.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Guessing really... but after everything that's been said by Bloom and Barber about wanting to keep RDZ, surely it must be that in their recent discussions Tony found RDZ's demands on transfers just too much & wasnt willing to make promises that could financially hurt the club or get us into FFP trouble.
I think this could be close to the truth. Unless he's been tapped up by Bayern, maybe he isn't happy that the budget for this summer is not what he expected, or he's possibly not happy with the youthful policy the club continually use. Who knows? Still a slightly sad end as I thought he was going to stay for 1 more season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Haven’t read the whole thread but there have been rumours that we’ve been doing informal meetings with potential replacements for weeks.
For what it’s worth I reckon we’ve known about this for a while.
Whether people like this or not, Burnley have been rumoured to have approached mark Robbbins to replace Vincent Kompany who is one of the people we have been allegedly chatting with.
This hasn’t just been decided IMHO. We’ve planned for this for some time.
At least we can get someone in who wants to be here.
Talksport also mentioned rumours about Kompany contact.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
His aspirations would be higher than Dewsbury-Hall I rekon and we couldn't even deliver him !
So how much should we have paid for someone who didn't want to come here and who's club didn't want to sell? £50m + £150,000 a week? We were right to stop at a reasonable level and if RDZ doesn't understand how we work then he wasn't listening when he joined.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here