Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] RIP Vince Hill

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
The year they canned TOTP, it’s all down hill after that. At least we had a weekly reference point to learn who was top of the Hit Parade. (However awful it sounded)
Spot on.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Many many years ago I worked with a bricklayer who was obsessed with Vince Hill. Him and his wife used to tour the country endlessly to see him. He talked about him a LOT too. He was quite the obsessive type in general and so his nickname was Centimetre Peter as a result. Nice bloke to work with though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Only know that song from the musical. It's very light entertainment that version isn't it.
Cabaret is the word that immediately springs to my mind.

They were all at it back in the day.

We used to go to a 'do' back then as well. :lolol:

Simple times, when it didn't take much to make people happy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The year they canned TOTP, it’s all down hill after that. At least we had a weekly reference point to learn who was top of the Hit Parade. (However awful it sounded)
I disagree. TOTP and the charts reflected the most liked thing presented by the most go to outlet, at the time. A bit like the best story in The Sun. Brentford Nylons. Shadduppa your face. The week's most popular thing would be one from a clever pet, a bad trade unionist or stockings and suspenders. Nothing to do with what had value. I prefer people to reach out and look for what appeals to them, rather than lie back and have aunty beeb, or The Sun, pour whatever shite some patron sponsor wants to flog, down their throat.

Other opinions are of course available. @Mustafa II might even create a poll :sleep:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Cabaret is the word that immediately springs to my mind.

They were all at it back in the day.

We used to go to a 'do' back then as well. :lolol:

Simple times, when it didn't take much to make people happy.
In 1967 David Bowie was interviewed by the radio and was asked how he saw himself in 5 years. 'Cabaret, hopefully' he replied.

Times can change quickly.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Seemed like a nice bloke.

“Among those who have had their collars felt (been arrested) by police, he is by far the biggest name and is a national monument. My stomach turned when I heard the news today, but I'll always be there for him. This just isn't the Rolf I know. Whatever the outcome is, we won't desert him."

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can't believe the number of people who've never heard of Vince Hill! 😧

Must be an age thing. He always seemed to be a staple of Saturday night variety shows when I was a boy.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Must admit to being disappointed a few years ago to discover that Christopher Plummer’s version of Edelweiss in ‘The Sound of Music’ (and all his other singing parts) was overdubbed by another chap.
Not Milli Vanilli though.

Evidently Plummer was livid when he watched the film for the first time!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Agreed. I used to listen to popmaster and now 10 to the top and there are massive blanks in our knowledge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here