[News] RIP Steve Harley

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Only saw him once live but it was brilliant. RIP

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
One of my heroes as a youngster, Sebastian was the best song I’d ever heard, at the age of 13.

Mr Raffles is now one of my top 3 favourite ever songs, the album version of course.

RIP Steve, truly sad.
Agree with this and everything else on this thread. A little known fact, Steve Harley spent a few years as a child living in Hangleton Road, Hove, a few houses up from the traffic lights at the OSR junction. Whilst living there he contracted polio “and spent the rest of my life dragging this f’ing leg around” 😀

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
RIP Steve.
We do a version of 'Come up and See Me', our guitarist couldn't be bothered to learn the guitar solo in the middle, so I do it on the sax.
It sounds surprisingly good too.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
He was born Stephen Malcolm Ronald Nice in Deptford, southeast London, on February 27 1951, the second of five children. His father, Ronald, was a milkman and part-time footballer with Brighton & Hove Albion; his mother, Joyce (née Forgham), had been a semi-professional singer with wartime swing bands in Brighton.

RIP

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well if nobody else is going to post it...

RIP Steve :down:

It’s a great song. As an aside, I have always felt the vocal style on this song doesn’t quite get the notice/credit it deserves.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I'd argue that the acoustic guitar solo on (Come Up And See Me) Make Me Smile is the finest ever committed to vinyl. Maybe the one on Maggie May runs it close.

DavePage

truly feels like I have lost a personal friend, always remember the feeling of wanting to see each show again and again. He had a great passion for horse racing and was often seen at Sussex’s courses.
Our lives improved the day he befriended us. RIP my friend

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Always admired his honesty the last time I saw him play live, ca. 2005 when The Quality of Mercy came out:

"I know you're all here for the hits, but it's taken me nine years to make this new record, so we're f**king well going to play it!"

He also had a big soft spot for the Netherlands, as it was the Dutch who gave him his big break in 1973. Sebastian was a massive hit over here, at the same time that it flopped in the UK, because BBC radio wouldn't play it, on the grounds it was "too long".

RIP

Me Atome

Mar 10, 2024
1970's is my favourite decade for music. The middle of the decade was really exciting; The Stranglers, Ramones, Elvis Costello. Great stuff, and Cockney Rebel were there too, Mister Soft and Judy Teen and of course Come Up And See Me.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
1970's is my favourite decade for music. The middle of the decade was really exciting; The Stranglers, Ramones, Elvis Costello. Great stuff, and Cockney Rebel were there too, Mister Soft and Judy Teen and of course Come Up And See Me.
I feel worse today about his passing than I did when I heard the news yesterday. I loved the 70s music and Steve Harley was a big part of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here