Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] RIP Paul Ryder

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
RIP.

Had some cracking nights out watching them.....

.....I think.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Damn.

Certainly one of my top five bands ever. I last saw them at The Dome before lockdown for my birthday with Mrs GB and a big gang of mates. Whole bunch of recognisable wasters there (but in their 40s / 50s), they f***ed up a couple of songs and Bez had a beer belly. Great night out - as always.

Seeing this on Snub TV probably changed my life (a similar "wow" moment to first seeing and hearing Blue Monday so Manchester and Factory were defo my thing), the Martin Hannet produced "Bummed" remains my favourite album of theirs and crashes into my personal top ten every time I write it out.

RIP Paul. A life very well lived.

Last edited:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Not sure how hard it is to copy a You Tube link this time of the morning!

anyway it was gonna be Sunshine And Love from the incredibly underrated Yes Please album.

This band were such a massive part of my life all through the 90s although on this latest tour I decided to “retire” from seeing them live as I felt it was time to call it a day,

anyway, back on topic, I was absolutely gutted to hear this news and hope you sleep well Paul and thanks for the music

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Damn.

Certainly one of my top five bands ever. I last saw them at The Dome before lockdown for my birthday with Mrs GB and a big gang of mates. Whole bunch of recognisable wasters there (but in their 40s / 50s), they f***ed up a couple of songs and Bez had a beer belly. Great night out - as always.

Seeing this on Snub TV probably changed my life (a similar "wow" moment to first seeing and hearing Blue Monday so Manchester and Factory were defo my thing), the Martin Hamnet produced "Bummed" remains my favourite album of theirs and crashes into my personal top ten every time I write it out.

RIP Paul. A life very well lived.

Hearing the piano at the beginning of Step On was a similar game changing moment for me. Down at Hove Park during lunchtime at school. If memory serves me correctly it was your brother that put the headphones on my head and turned my head towards 'baggy'.

Bummed is incredible, I love Squirrel and the G man too. A trilogy of really different albums (ending with Pills and Thrills, Oakenfold taking them in a different direction). Add in remixes and Eps and they have an incredible body of work.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Bummed is incredible, I love Squirrel and the G man too. A trilogy of really different albums (ending with Pills and Thrills, Oakenfold taking them in a different direction). Add in remixes and Eps and they have an incredible body of work.

All three albums mentioned are all fantastic in very different ways, it makes my favourite so hard to choose as I still play them all, however Yes Please often comes up as my favourite despite the fact it was literally thrown together however as a Talking Heads fan the input from Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth made it a winner for me. The band had a great time recording it although I think Shaun had to record the vocals in a studio near Lingfield racecourse

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
All three albums mentioned are all fantastic in very different ways, it makes my favourite so hard to choose as I still play them all, however Yes Please often comes up as my favourite despite the fact it was literally thrown together however as Talking Heads fan the input from Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth made it a winner for me. The band had a great time recording it although I think Shaun had to record the vocals in a studio near Lingfield racecourse

Yeah I agree all brilliant in their own way. Listened to Donovan a few times today and think it is just incredible.

I've not listened to Yes Please for years. I will give it a whirl though, fresh ears and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viTayMgt3WY

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
With respect to Paul, just changing the subject slightly, I’m assuming most Monday’s fans are familiar with Amateur Night In The Big Top?
A solo Shaun Ryder album with a very low key release (almost anonymously) from about 2002. If you don’t know it but like The Monday’s, it’s on Spotify and I can’t recommend it highly enough.

If you liked the Step On intro…

https://youtu.be/4TQuTSvFbYc

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hearing the piano at the beginning of Step On was a similar game changing moment for me. Down at Hove Park during lunchtime at school. If memory serves me correctly it was your brother that put the headphones on my head and turned my head towards 'baggy'.

Sounds about right. The Mondays were played pretty much every day in our house back then.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Very sad news. Lots of memories listening to them as a teen and saw them live a few times. Then in 2012 I was lucky enough to get a job photographing them performing - a chaotic but enormous fun gig.

Somewhere in the loft I've got this as a cassette single.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here