Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] RIP Paolo Rossi

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
That Italian team of 1982 were very, very good. Just re-watched that match. Rossi could not put a foot wrong.

And because there was no VAR, it is pure theatre. Loved it.

RIP Paolo. Legend.

Although they were dire in the first group stage and very lucky to come through what was a pretty weak group. They somehow managed to come good for the latter stage. Rossi got the goals but Bruno Conti was their best player in my opinion.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
I wouldn't say that he was largely anonymous domestically - he scored roughly a goal every two games in Serie A, that's a decent record. He wouldn't have been playing for Italy if he was a poor player.

But he was on fire in that tournament and, 38 years later, I still think that the Brazil-Italy game is the best one I've ever seen.

Maradona and Rossi within a fortnight :down: Hope Pele's feeling OK

Plus he scored goals in the ‘78 finals

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Would have been at the 1980 Euros but was serving a ban for the Totonero scandal..... Played for my mums team and a club I still try to follow - Perugia.

RIP Paulo.

It's lovely you have a memory of Rossi playing for Perugia linked to the memory of your mum, it's this sort of thing that makes us human :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sad news - very young [emoji22]

Completely eclipsed a young Maradona at the 82 World Cup.

RIP Paolo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Just looking at that Brazil/Italy game. It's sad to think that already four players from that game are no longer with us - it was fewer than 40 years ago!

5 including Dirceu in the Brazil squad . That game shone in that tournament a good friend was lucky enough to be at that game .
Ciao Paulo

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What a great Italy side that was, and Rossi gave them the cutting edge.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I wouldn't say that he was largely anonymous domestically - he scored roughly a goal every two games in Serie A, that's a decent record. He wouldn't have been playing for Italy if he was a poor player.

But he was on fire in that tournament and, 38 years later, I still think that the Brazil-Italy game is the best one I've ever seen.

Maradona and Rossi within a fortnight :down: Hope Pele's feeling OK

The amazing thing was that his ban was lifted early so he could be included in Bearzot squad for Spain 82. The press were against his selection. In the group stages he was poor, again the press wanted him removed as a starter. It was not until the 2nd stage of the finals that he turned up.

I was lucky enough to see him play for Juventus a few months after winning the World cup, they lost 2 nil away to Verona.

Another one of my idols when growing up.

RIP torero.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Would have been at the 1980 Euros but was serving a ban for the Totonero scandal..... Played for my mums team and a club I still try to follow - Perugia.

RIP Paulo.

Is your mum from Perugia, or from Umbria? We're the relegated last season?
I have been to the ground Stadio Renato Curi, saw a friendly there against my mum's hometown team Foggia.

Perugia have been reformed twice in the last 20 odd years. Makes Palarse look angelic.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here