Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] RIP Marvelous Marvin Hagler

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The fight is considered to be the three greatest rounds in boxing history, due to its constant action, drama, and violent back-and-forth exchanges.

British fight publication Boxing News called it "eight minutes of mayhem", while The Ring called the fight "the most electrifying eight minutes ever," and it won fight of the year for 1985, despite lasting only three rounds.

Still remember watching that with my cousin who was a reasonable good amateur and neither of us had seen anything like it . Absolutely incredible fight.

RIP Marvin.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Gutted to hear the news. He was one of my all time favourite fighters and one of the greatest middleweights of all-time.

As for the Leonard fight it wasn’t a robbery. In fact Leonard won fair and square and I say that as someone who wanted Hagler to win.

He gave Leonard the first four rounds and then Sugar Ray done enough to win at least 3 of rounds 5 through to 12.

I’ve seen robbery’s and I’ve seen difficult to score fights, I genuinely believe this was a straight forward Leonard victory. It was close enough but quite easy to score as bar 1 or 2 rounds the winners of each round was generally very clear.

Agree

I wanted Hagler to win too,in fairness the fight never lived up to the hype
Leonard had been out of the ring for years
Hagler looked like it was one big fight too many, after that brutal fight with Mugabi

Leonard won the fight
But didn't do enough to take the title if you like

Always thought champions should get the benefit of the doubt with split decisions
Challengers should have to win the fight no doubts

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gutted to hear the news. He was one of my all time favourite fighters and one of the greatest middleweights of all-time.

As for the Leonard fight it wasn’t a robbery. In fact Leonard won fair and square and I say that as someone who wanted Hagler to win.

He gave Leonard the first four rounds and then Sugar Ray done enough to win at least 3 of rounds 5 through to 12.

I’ve seen robbery’s and I’ve seen difficult to score fights, I genuinely believe this was a straight forward Leonard victory. It was close enough but quite easy to score as bar 1 or 2 rounds the winners of each round was generally very clear.

This. It was a fair decision, SRL boxed brilliantly, frustrating the bigger hitter and genuine middleweight.

RIP Marvin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here