Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] RIP Martin Peters

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I've often thought how different his life would have been if the West Germans hadn't levelled at 2-2 around injury time and Geoff Hurst going on to score his hat-trick. Scoring the winner in a World Cup final? It's something you can't even dream of because it sounds so absurd. But from what I learnt about Martin Peters is that he was a very private man and had a huge dignity about him. He wasn't a real limelight person. It's rocked me a bit. His passing away.

But football has lost one of its best ever footballers that played for England, won the World Cup and achieved so much throughout his club career.

Football results don't feel like they matter today and that's not because we lost. One of football's brightest lights has gone out.

RIP Martin Peters. A legend. It goes without saying. :angel:

Lovely words mate.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Lovely words mate.

Thank you.

I was at West Ham's next home match following Bobby Moore's death in 1993 as I went with a school friend to matches around then. It was desperately sad as Bobby was only 51 and he'd had cancer. Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters carried out a huge effigy of a West Ham number six shirt. It's often said that the Hammers won the World Cup. There were so many heroes in that 1966 squad though. Martin had such a warm and friendly face. But I could see how upset he was on that day as he'd lost such a close mate.

Hopefully he meets up with Bobby in heaven for a drink or two and a nice chat about the good old days.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
R I P indeed.... mid seventies is no great age these days, he deserved longer, but we do not get what we deserve.
A great player, I am pleased that I saw him play for Spurs....
England could use him now.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here