Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RIP Guo Nanhong

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
One of the best Taiwanese ministers of Transportation & Communications between 1987-1990 have left us way too soon (he turned 87 in October).

He most likely oversaw the building of some roads and stuff, he did also introduce taxi licenses in Taiwan, and also wrote unforgettable classics like "Note On The Diffraction By A Right-angled dielectric wedge" and "On The Function-theoretic technique". In a book published in 2018 called "No fear. Wuhua-Guo Nanhong's Oral History" he described his life and education, showing a softer side to himself as a father and husband.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
With all that ambition and high achievement, it sounds like he had a Taipei personality.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Got to win the award for the most pointless RIP thread ever.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I met Old Mr Guo once. He was slurping his usual order of chilli beef noodles in a shack just off section two of the Zhongshan North Road. It was thirty five degrees in the shade with 98% humidity and I mistook the cafe full of intellectuals for a speakeasy where I'd once scored some ice cold Taiwan beer after football training.

He gave me the slightest of nods, which I failed to return, but rather than plucking out my eye he realised I was no Shaolin monk and, instead, exclaimed in a broad Brummie accent "grumpy bastards, these English". I left with my tail between my legs.

Oh yeah, that was old Guo. Well respected in the right angle community but a funny fucker to boot. Terrible taste in noodle restaurants though.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
One of the best Taiwanese ministers of Transportation & Communications between 1987-1990 have left us way too soon (he turned 87 in October).

He most likely oversaw the building of some roads and stuff, he did also introduce taxi licenses in Taiwan, and also wrote unforgettable classics like "Note On The Diffraction By A Right-angled dielectric wedge" and "On The Function-theoretic technique". In a book published in 2018 called "No fear. Wuhua-Guo Nanhong's Oral History" he described his life and education, showing a softer side to himself as a father and husband.
A huge loss and will be sadly missed.
The world will not be the same without him.

Whoever he was!

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Gutted, lets hope we build a statue to him in Trafalger Square or somewhere equally appropriate to this man's contribution to the world.

No, really!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Gutted, lets hope we build a statue to him in Trafalger Square or somewhere equally appropriate to this man's contribution to the world.

No, really!
The next time you get scammed by a Taiwanese unlicensed taxi driver you are going to regret not taking Guo Nanhongs introduction of Taiwanese taxi licenses more seriously.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Doubt many people in Sussex have heard of him !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here