Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] RIP Des O'Connor

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Played for Northampton Town football club as well. And that's not Cobblers. Seemed he was a man of many talents. Probably a reason for his longevity - would have been 89 in January.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
He also became a father at 72. Hats off Des. RIP

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I first warmed to him 40 odd years ago when I saw him "live" at the Congress Theatre in Eastbourne. Every time I hear "Upper Dicker" mentioned I think back to a joke he made on that occasion. R I P.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He was an answer on Pop Master only last week, I thought to myself then, is he still alive? Ken Bruce was so nice about him that I realised yes he was still with us. But no longer. The butt of so many jokes in the 70s and 80s which he took with such grace, many other stars should have a taken a leaf out of his book.
Yes, he had the intelligence and humility to laugh at himself. Most people (especially the famous) don't.

By all accounts a top bloke.

RIP Des.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Very underrated talk show host, extremely entertaining, testament to this is how long Des O’Connor Tonight ran for.

A classic old school entertainer, sadly part of a dying breed. 😞

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Very sad news - saw what I think was his final public appearance around 16 or so months ago (I think) which was a Q&A on a cruise ship. There were a lot of clips of him over the years, and some cracking recollections. The theatre was absolutely crammed - apart from no empty seats, all the stairways were full of people enjoying the event too. Those of you who've been on a large cruise ship will know that the theatres can be pretty big; I think he was really touched by the sheer numbers there and the love, affection and joy throughout the appearance.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
One of the greatest light entertainment presenters of all time . Yes he was that good . On tv for 45 years with his show ! He made it look effortless and all the guests looked like they were having a ball . That’s how good he was . Loads of charm and charisma.

He once joked he was the only O’Connor to have a barmitzvah as his father was Irish catholic I think but his mother was Jewish .

Jul 7, 2003
Loved the fact that he used to send in jokes to M&W about himself. A bit like Bob Monkhouse, he would look to promote young comedians through his TV shows.

As well as playing for Northampton Reserves, he also liked his horse racing and owned a few over the year. AP McCoy was talking about riding a winner for him on the TV earlier.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Bob monkhouse another huge talent

Not wishing to highjack Des's stream; Bob Monkhouse wrote and told my favourite joke.

"At school careers night I told them I wanted to be a comedian, and they all laughed.
Well they're not laughing now are they?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here