Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIOT: How Raytheon software tracks you online

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
and then they can send a nuclear bomb induced tsumani to whoop your sorry ass!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have just turned the location devices off on my phone!

:facepalm: your phone is a location tracking device, its inherent to its ability to be mobile. what you need to do is not post on facebook every two minutes. thats what they are talking about with "check in". some other sites will seek out your location then relay it back. thre was a file on the iphone that stored your location and was accessible to apps/pages, iirc that was tightend up a while ago.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
:facepalm: your phone is a location tracking device, its inherent to its ability to be mobile. what you need to do is not post on facebook every two minutes. thats what they are talking about with "check in". some other sites will seek out your location then relay it back. thre was a file on the iphone that stored your location and was accessible to apps/pages, iirc that was tightend up a while ago.

Any mobile can be tracked in real time. But smart phones add longitude and latitude data to your photos, and I'm not sure but I think it records your location even just when you log into social media. You can turn those features off. But by the looks of the ways this technology is being exploited, you could also find yourself caught in a drag net just by having the wrong "friend" on FB.

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent news, I hope that you will be keeping your head down from now on..... well. they ARE out to get you.

People who care about their privacy are doing something wrong. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

/thinking.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
tinfoilhat-755294.jpg

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Am I missing something? I couldn't give a shit if people know where I am. For the record I am in my room in Frome, Somerset. Ooh scary.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

:facepalm: If your turn off the gps and location stuff on your phone it doesn't include the gps info on your pictures (because it doesn't know it). Or so I was told by a cyber safety policewoman last year.

Apoparently Istagram stamps the location of every photo you take and includes it in the data. (This can be turned off I believe).

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Am I missing something? I couldn't give a shit if people know where I am. For the record I am in my room in Frome, Somerset. Ooh scary.

According to a cyber safety course i went on there are increasing numbers of theives etc that are using this information to plan burglaries, muggings and groom children.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
:facepalm: If your turn off the gps and location stuff on your phone it doesn't include the gps info on your pictures (because it doesn't know it). Or so I was told by a cyber safety policewoman last year.

Apoparently Istagram stamps the location of every photo you take and includes it in the data. (This can be turned off I believe).

gps is just one method. if you go on line, certain services use either wireless or just your cell location to determine where you are for location. this can be accessible to other apps. point is the only way to stop this completely is to turn of the phone signal. or you could be more carefull about the sites used so that the location information isnt used.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
gps is just one method. if you go on line, certain services use either wireless or just your cell location to determine where you are for location. this can be accessible to other apps. point is the only way to stop this completely is to turn of the phone signal. or you could be more carefull about the sites used so that the location information isnt used.

I have turned off both my gps location services and my wireless location services. As far as i know to use the phone signal to find my whereabouts someone would need special permission and as already stated this information can only be accessed their and then rather than being saved within the code of photographs and uploaded to websites. This information can be relatively easily accessed by people.

You will forgive me for not taking your word for it but i am acting on advice gived to me by a copper with years of experience of cyber safety and cyber policing.

From my quick look at the video dingo provided it also seemed that the data that the fella was trawling through was not taken from the cell location itself but from the gps part that is used to update your location on facebook.

I have just uploaded two photos to facebook, neither of which contain any location information. I am guess this would make it much harder ( although i concede not impossible) for some dastardly fellas to track my whereabouts.

Although to be fair one was a picture of The Amex which i had labelled The Amex!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here