Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Return of fencing? Point deductions?.......

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The answer is simple.

If the law makers put in place a standard rule that in the event of a pitch invasion by a club the result they achieve (assuming it is win) will be reversed. If everybody knew that going in its sure as eggs are eggs that fans wouldn't do it. In the event of a pitch invasion by your fans if you lose, will see you deducted 3 points.

If this was in place, I'm sure this would end overnight.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I would rather there were not draconian measures taken to address a problem that has never been much of an issue previously.

Behind closed doors, fencing and points deductions are completely disproportionate to the issue but would welcome tougher sanctions on the individual idiots who behave like this

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I would rather there were not draconian measures taken to address a problem that has never been much of an issue previously.

Behind closed doors, fencing and points deductions are completely disproportionate to the issue but would welcome tougher sanctions on the individual idiots who behave like this

How do you do that if there are hundreds/thousands on the pitch, all at the same time?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
How do you do that if there are hundreds/thousands on the pitch, all at the same time?

You do what they have done this week check the hours of CCTV and angles and bring the people to justice for their actions and ban them from attending matches indefinitely

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
You don’t have to identify 100% of them.

If people thought that there was a reasonable chance of being caught and banned they wouldn’t do it.

Currently they know they won’t be punished so they do it.

You'd like to think so, but once that mob mentality kicks-in, I doubt many of them will be too worried.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
You do what they have done this week check the hours of CCTV and angles and bring the people to justice for their actions and ban them from attending matches indefinitely

Potentially banning many thousands, or just the 'unlucky' few that get caught/recognised, leaving probably 99% of them in the clear? Doesn't seem much of a preventative measure.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Potentially banning many thousands, or just the 'unlucky' few that get caught/recognised, leaving probably 99% of them in the clear? Doesn't seem much of a preventative measure.

I am not talking about the invasion of the pitch itself I see that as part and parcel of major and significant victories and always has been. This has only become an issue this year as some have used it as a opportunity to abuse or assault opposition players so these are the idiots that need dealing with.

I would not be in favour of any measure that took moments like the Wigan game away from fans

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I am not talking about the invasion of the pitch itself I see that as part and parcel of major and significant victories and always has been. This has only become an issue this year as some have used it as a opportunity to abuse or assault opposition players so these are the idiots that need dealing with.

I would not be in favour of any measure that took moments like the Wigan game away from fans

I agree, but as has been said, I do think measures will be taken to avoid the possibility of such abuse/assaults taking place, and the most effective way is to prevent said pitch invasions taking place. How that will be achieved is another issue, but I do agree that it will be a shame for them to be stopped, as the vast majority are peaceful and an expression of joy.
As always, the runts of the litter will dictate the way forward for everyone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pitch invasions have been going on for a long time, it’s only recently they have got out of hand. There’s also been an increase in crowd related issues and who can forget the recent problems at the Wembley Euro final. Part of the solution should be to look into the cause of this.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We were all against ID cards but it's pretty quite difficult to get into a PL football match without the club knowing your details.

Thousands of fans get into Old Trafford and Anfield every home game without the club having a clue who they are.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What, if anything can/will be done with the recent pitch invasions and attacks? Something will be done about it as its become a dangerous situation for players and staff of clubs. Another assault yesterday on a player at the Etihad despite the previous assaults in past week. Is it inevitable that fencing may be forced back into our stadiums?

You'll be happy to know that if you type fencing points deduction into google, the first result is a technical article about the rules of the sport fencing (including how penalties points are applied) and the second is er.. this thread.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Cup final in Sweden ended a few minutes ago, fans from both teams tried to invade the pitch. This solution worked out pretty well though.

pitchinvassio.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here