• No

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes, this is what I meant. Sorry this wasn’t clear. Let’s go and enjoy our coffee!
You confused me until I read the rest of the thread.
Sorry had to dig this one out :wink: :smile:

IMG_1165.jpeg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I thought one of you was being whooshed but I couldn't work out who!
Too tired this morning to get subtlety. I could only read that as you losing your deposit if you turned up. Took ages for the penny to drop. Makes my 300 at Blossom even better!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There’s some articles in today‘s press about restaurant deposits. In short you lose the deposit if you don’t cancel, or cancel too late. The articles are solely from the restaurant’s perspective and seek to justify their reasons. What do you as a punter feel about this? Any restaurant owners care to give their thoughts? @Yes Chef ?

For the record I fully support it but am aware others feel different.

The articles don’t have links yet, I‘ll paste when the do.
I’m pro. My living comes from the hospitality industry and I speak to owners a lot. We’re lucky there are still places to go out to after the last 4 years.

Like everything, it’s the ****ish element that cause these actions. Everyone else has to suffer if that’s the right word because of the selfish unscrupulous behaviour of a few. It’s why we can’t have bottle tops at football, or alcohol in stands.

Anyway, absolutely no problem with restaurants taking deposit. Every other industry does. Why should they lose out to flakey disorganised or immoral behaviour?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
100% take a deposit with a booking and lose it if you cancel within 24 hours or fail to show.
Tables of 4 or less may seem trivial but when 12 people fail to turn up the restaurant would have been prepared with extra staff and food.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I don’t think anyone apart from selfish idiots would book a table and then not show without unless contacting the establishment in advance to advise!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Perfectly reasonable idea and in my experience restaurants are flexible if necessary. We had a booking at Little Fish Market which takes a deposit, the morning of our booking the Mrs fell and badly damaged her ankle. Rang and explained - they were happy to reschedule and I'm sure sold our table very easily!

mile oak

May 21, 2023
I was thinking this thread was going to be more about recent news of ppl doing a runner and not paying the bill. If you collect their bank details at least you can identify and contact the police.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The problem will be people expecting some sort of appeals process because of their special circumstances. I fully support the idea but restaurants don’t have the time or resources to engage in people’s reasons for not notifying. Unfortunately that won’t stop some people.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Would be very happy to pay a deposit when booking as long as refundable if have to cancel. Big problem for restaurants if people dont turn up. Serves customer right if have not bothered to cancel. But then I am one who would charge a fee to those that don't turn up for Doctors appointment

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don’t think anyone apart from selfish idiots would book a table and then not show without unless contacting the establishment in advance to advise!
One of the articles said one restaurant had to find the financial sweet-spot which made customers ring and cancel, at £10 per person some still didnt call. At 20 they did.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I read up on this from a restaurateur who was ethically opposed to deposits but once introduced the no shows just fell off. Seems fair enough in an industry as harsh as that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
resturant booking deposits sounds like a significant problem for the middle classes, glad the Guardian is on the case :lolol:

can see why they'd want to charge, cant fill the tables at late notice etc. same as going to a gig, plane, or hotel pretty much anything where you book has some sort of no-refund or deposit payment.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Thanks for the articles @Herr Tubthumper .

Jay Rayners' piece is right to highlight the awkwardness of asking people for deposits, and if it is typically one person making a booking they are then burdened with a sizable outlay before their meal out, which can be off putting.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan, unless it's a group of 10 or more. My current place is small but busy and in the city centre, so if there are no shows there's often a reasonable number of walk ins to replace them. I appreciate that's not the case for everyone though, but patience from customers and flexibility from restaurants is possibly the way forward.

I recently had a table of 22 booked on a Monday night (when we're usually shut for food), but only 17 turned up. They still paid for all 22 meals, but had second helpings/shared the other food around. It seemed like a good compromise, and they've booked in for 2 more dates this summer.

I've heard stories about unscrupulous rival operators making large bookings at other establishments on busy nights in order to disrupt service, but it's hard to prove

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here