Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Reputable firm for building an extension in Hove

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I've had a quick trawl through the archives of NSC and nothing too recent has come up. We're looking at doing an extension to our garden flat in Hove. Can anyone recommend a reputable building firm who operate in the local area? My wife has heard good things about House Construction Ltd. (https://www.house-construction.co.uk) so we are planning to approach them, but would also like to have a chat with some other firms to get a range of prices.

Thanks!

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
We used Mat Miles from Miles Better Builds. Excellent and happy to recommend (no links). You may have a wait though!

Cheers, what sort of wait do you think likely for them?

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Cheers, what sort of wait do you think likely for them?
No idea, give him a ring for a chat (number on website). We had a long lead in time (our choice) to sort monies etc.. He has some really good ideas and can vouch for his workers who are all excellent. Quality of work is top notch (in our experience).

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
We had a quote from House for our project (kitchen extension and a new room above the garage). Their price was astronomical!

This is who we're using: http://www.ajsussexltd.co.uk/

They've been on-site since September, and the whole experience has been brilliant so far. We've got another month or so to go, but I can recommend this firm without hesitation.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
We had a quote from House for our project (kitchen extension and a new room above the garage). Their price was astronomical!

This is who we're using: http://www.ajsussexltd.co.uk/

They've been on-site since September, and the whole experience has been brilliant so far. We've got another month or so to go, but I can recommend this firm without hesitation.
Glad to hear that it's all going well.👍

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Trouble with customer recommendations is you are judging on aesthetics rather than the structural quality
That's a very simplistic viewpoint.

Also important to a customer:
Price
Accurate timeframes
Communication
Reliability
Leaving site tidy etc
No fuss rectifying snagging

Anything majorly sh|t doesn't take a tradie to spot it anyway, so a good customer recommendation should at least rule out cowboys.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
I've had a quick trawl through the archives of NSC and nothing too recent has come up. We're looking at doing an extension to our garden flat in Hove. Can anyone recommend a reputable building firm who operate in the local area? My wife has heard good things about House Construction Ltd. (https://www.house-construction.co.uk) so we are planning to approach them, but would also like to have a chat with some other firms to get a range of prices.

Thanks!
Hi mate
Happy to quote Will pm you

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That's a very simplistic viewpoint.

Also important to a customer:
Price
Accurate timeframes
Communication
Reliability
Leaving site tidy etc
No fuss rectifying snagging

Anything majorly sh|t doesn't take a tradie to spot it anyway, so a good customer recommendation should at least rule out cowboys.
Whilst you make some valid points and I hope everyone here has had a decent build trust me many haven’t. I’ve had to rip apart several newly completed jobs that look very nice on the outside with horrors buried in walls, ceilings and under floors. I can’t vouch for everyone obviously although personally I don’t work for builders now I struggle to remember one that has gone smoothly from start to finish with prompt Payment. I will only work directly for the client.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Whilst you make some valid points and I hope everyone here has had a decent build trust me many haven’t. I’ve had to rip apart several newly completed jobs that look very nice on the outside with horrors buried in walls, ceilings and under floors. I can’t vouch for everyone obviously although personally I don’t work for builders now I struggle to remember one that has gone smoothly from start to finish with prompt Payment. I will only work directly for the client.
It's unlikely those customers would then recommend the original builder on here, right? Out of interest, is it the customer that noticed the work needed re-doing in those sorts of examples?

Unless an independent 3rd party with the relevant knowledge checks and signs off work as it progresses, it's always going to be possible to hide shoddy work if someone's determined to do so.

Someone going to the trouble of giving a decent service (all the things I mentioned above) is far less likely to be a cowboy. What's the point if the poor standard of work (which will eventually become apparent, if not quickly) means you won't get repeat business or recommendations anyway?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here