Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] REMF - A statement

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The committee of the Robert Eaton Memorial Fund (REMF) has unanimously decided to wind down all fundraising operations, with a view to closing the charity on January 31st 2024.

This will bring to a close over 22 years of fundraising in order to donate kit and equipment to youth and children’s sports clubs around the world.

The REMF committee would like to place on record its heartfelt and eternal thanks to everyone who participated, contributed, sponsored, donated, had a friendly wager and raised funds on behalf of the charity since its inception in 2001.

Robert Eaton was a Brighton & Hove Albion fan who died in the attack on the World Trade Center in New York in 2001. A charity was set up in his name, initially with a football match between fans of Brighton and Crystal Palace to raise funds for football projects within the Hispanic communities in Queens, New York.

That charity has blossomed over the past two decades, with volunteers organising many fundraising events. In this time, over £330,000 has been donated to a wide variety of youth clubs and projects, mostly in Sussex, though with beneficiaries across the UK, and further afield in the USA, Australia, New Zealand, the Far East and Africa.

However, the committee feels that the charity has now run its course. There will be one more fundraising event before the charity’s closure - the 21st and final REMF Challenge Trophy match. Details of this fixture will be announced shortly.

Angela Ridge, Judith Lake and Barbara Stephenson, Robert’s sisters, agreed that the time was right, especially with the recent passing of their father, Douglas - himself a keen support of the charity. They commented: “It has been a source of immense pride and satisfaction that, out of something so horrific, this charity would be such a force for good for so long - all in our brother’s name. We know it gave our parents great comfort with all the hard work being put in by so many volunteers.”

Mike Langridge, REMF chairman, said: “After 22 amazing years, we feel the charity has done all it can. It is time to close REMF, and I can only say, from a personal point of view, what a privilege it has been to have been chairman for such an uplifting and worthwhile cause.”

For the last word, REMF vice-chairman, and manager of the Brighton REMF team, Brett Mendoza, said: “I feel so proud to have been a part of something so great, to have raised so much money for the charity, and to have hopefully made a difference for so many people. It’s a great charity, but all good things must eventually come to an end. I will miss it.”

Youth clubs and children’s sports clubs are invited to apply for funding while the charity is still functioning, and any remaining funds will be donated to a project or charity of the committee’s choosing nearer the January deadline.

ENDS

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Fantastic work by so many. Hopefully folk can attend the final match to give it the splendid send off it deserves.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Have to say I'm surprised, but respect the wishes of those at the heart of it all. A terrific legacy for Robert.
In the words of a line edited out of the press release - 'it's time to let our dear brother rest in peace now.'

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
NSC's finest moment.

And my proudest one to play in REMF 1.

Let's give it the sendoff it so richly deserves by having a huge turnout for the last one.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
One of my prized possessions, a copy of A Few Good Men signed by Peter Ward and Ricky Marlowe after we thumped Peter and @The Brighton Ace at table football at the Dripping Pan.

Great memories courtesy of the REMF.

82FF4BE0-FB4F-4FD4-A92E-568DBCB70FA1.jpeg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Incredible fundraising and great involvement with the Palace.
Vice- Chair Brett Mendoza has helped me fund raise for The Martlets Hospice and a great lad.
One last time for a donation from us all. I await the fixture.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blimey….as one of the original founders of the charity and worked hard to set it up and ended up managing the side, I am sad it has come to this but feel immensely proud of the work we managed to achieve. Overcoming a lot of politics and people who wanted to take the REMF in different directions. I thoroughly enjoyed my time and will look back with fondness of how our vision developed. Thanks must also go in no small way to cantor Fitzgerald, without whose input the REMF would not have been able to help teams in the US where the charity originally targeted its efforts as friends and family of Robert let us know his passions lay. RIP Robert, His parents and original members, Richard (Tricky dicky) and of course Tony Langridge and Ed Bassford. It was an honour to be a part of this.

dave the gaffer
( as coined by the lovely Lady Bracknell - Ros)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
NSC's finest moment.

And my proudest one to play in REMF 1.

Let's give it the sendoff it so richly deserves by having a huge turnout for the last one.
My proudest one was meeting you at last season's game :)

Well, that and running two marathons for the charity with some incredible donations from the NSC community. Thank you again everyone who sponsored me and inspired me to beat @knocky1 :whistle:

In all seriousness I'm so proud to have been involved with a great charity, it's helped a lot of kids get into sport the world over and surely that's a wonderful legacy out of something so tragic. If the family feel it's time to let Robert rest and the charity wind down then I can fully understand it.

See you all at this season's game.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My "kids" are now 25 and 30, benefited from funding, were ball boys and played for the REMF team.

REMF was beyond any shadow of a doubt the best thing to evolve via NSC.

Loads of people have contributed so thanks to each and everyone one of them.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here