Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We could be 13th or relegated.
Looking forward to it now.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
We all see the xG. GP's first season, great start but failed to convert chances in first half of season. Second half of season, felt that we could not continue to miss that many chances and would be safe. Nope. Took it to the wire.
Last season was a similar story. xG says we were Champions league at times, reality says scrabbling around the bottom.

Unless (once again, again, again), we find ourselves with someone who knows how to score a goal or two, it will be the same.

Defence is sound, even without our Leeds trained superstar leaving us.

Midfield looks competent, but lacks goals

Strikers - will get chances, but will miss anything less than 1.5xG

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I have very little confidence in our forward options.

Not concerned about our midfield and defence, far more trust in them.

Same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
We're not fully fit, we're actually weaker than last season IMO.

Injured - Welbeck, Burn, Lamptey
Players lost - Propper, Alireza, Tau, probably Walton, Izzy, White, Ryan
First team improvements - Mwepu
Depth additions - Duffy, Scherpen, Andone, unproven youth prospects en masse

I don't really see it up for debate that we have a weaker 25 this season than we did last season, AS IT STANDS without anymore signings we simply have to hope for another season that Potter can cultivate a few more PL footballers out of players like Taylor-Richards, Ostigard, Caicedo, Karbownik.

All that being said I don't see us as one of the three faves to go down such is my faith in GP, but we are absolutely in for another nail biting season and at this stage I'd bite your hand off for 17th.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I don't really see it up for debate that we have a weaker 25 this season than we did last season, AS IT STANDS without anymore signings we simply have to hope for another season that Potter can cultivate a few more PL footballers out of players like Taylor-Richards, Ostigard, Caicedo, Karbownik.

All that being said I don't see us as one of the three faves to go down such is my faith in GP, but we are absolutely in for another nail biting season and at this stage I'd bite your hand off for 17th.

So we're actually weaker than this time last season when we bought a central defender back from loan, who had never played in the premier league, some dutch bloke nobody had heard of and 6 months before we signed Lamptey and weeks before we signed Welbeck.

We're weaker than that :facepalm:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
So we're actually weaker than this time last season when we bought a central defender back from loan, who had never played in the premier league, some dutch bloke nobody had heard of and 6 months before we signed Lamptey and weeks before we signed Welbeck.

We're weaker than that :facepalm:

I can't decide if you're taking the piss :lolol:

The central defender that was one of the best players in the Championship for a promoted side and was being subjected to bids over 20m? Yes we are weaker with Duffy now than we were with White then.

The Dutch nobody who has 37 appearances in Champions League and Europa League comps with the best team in the Netherlands and over 200 apps for them? That nobody? The same nobody with that pedigree that we signed for less than a MILLION quid?

We signed Lamptey 18 months ago, we were all eagerly looking forward to his first full season with us 12 months ago, so that's wrong.

Weeks before we signed Welbeck - Good job I literally said in my post that I was talking about the squad AS IT STANDS as opposed to "on August 31st". I mean FFS I even caps locked it specifically for people to not gloss over it and say dumb shit like this.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I went down to watch the Brighton marathon a few years back and was standing along the road to Shoreham harbour when a while ahead of the runners came a chap in a wheelchair. I thought he looked familiar and by the time he was on his way back to Hove the grey cells remembered and it was Danny Mills. So he’s not a complete ****.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

You place no value on continuity, young squad more experienced in the Prem who almost all played together for a full season under the same manager and system. That doesn't count for anything?

Many teams would kill for that kind of stability.

el punal

F*** me! Aren’t you the eternal optimist? You may be right but I doubt it. Most bookies and decent pundits generally are there or thereabouts with their predictions so I will go with them and reckon we’ll end up in 15th to 11th spot.

Aside from crystal ball gazing you get a truer sense of how a team will prevail after 10 games or so. Let’s see then.

el punal

I apologise! I misread your comment about GP - as in having no faith in him. Early morning sleepiness. :blush:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

The big change is the loss of Ben White. Given their contributions last season I'm not sure any of the other departures (Propper, AJ, Tau, Walton, Izzy, Ryan) leaves us weaker. Mwepu is a pretty decent addition, and both Moder and Zeqiri are beginning to bed in. There are others who will no doubt begin to come through (eg: Caicedo).

On balance we're probably very slightly weaker if you just look at the names, but there's upside in the fact that there's a lot of continuity in the bulk of the squad.

Overall I think we have had a pretty decent window. I'm sure the strategy was to get rid of those we've got rid of, and create a "war chest" for one or two more significant signings. There's still 3 weeks left, and plenty of time to bring those in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here