Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Reflections on Rome

Wallace

Nov 9, 2016
I think I really completed Europe didn’t I.

Got locked in a pub in Marseille, fell down the stairs in my hotel at Ajax, Tear Gassed in Athens and Stabbed in Rome.

I enjoyed them all in different ways (yes, even Rome).

Marseille the atmosphere was amazing, it was special and I loved the city, the food was superb and the drinking establishments greater. People gave Marseille such a bad name in the build up, but I loved the edginess, the city had a real character to it, a siege mentality, such an amazing blend of cultures and people and most importantly football.

Ajax was like a 6,000 people stag do, complete and utter chaos at times, but thoroughly entertaining. Just every pub being absolutely filled to the brim with Brighton fans was special, seeing so many people I know from school, from football, from everywhere was something I’ll never forget, a real cup final atmosphere, as we saw off arguably one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Then it was Athens, my favourite of the lot. I’d never been to Greece in my life but as many of you know, I love their food. Taking an extra day before the game to explore the city was amazing, once again seeing so many people from away travels over the years. It was really special with the distance it felt like everyone was there, felt like they had to be there. I went out drinking that with some amazing people who I’ve met on this tour, and it was thoroughly enjoyable. The match itself was a spectacle, a bare bones Brighton squad scraping a 1-0 win away from home under the cosh, with the 18 year old son of a former Withdean Stalwart starring, it was Brighton. Fatboy Slim into the early hours of the morning with some great friends, another amazing day for the club. Special shout-out to the AEK Athens fans I met, who were so passionate about their sport, and so friendly (until they lost but I’ll forgive them, we all get upset when we lose, the Greeks are just passionate), and it opened my eyes to whole new footballing world. The food was 10/10 as well!

Finally Rome, well it was going so well. I had a lovely meal on the Tuesday night, a few drinks watching the champions league, then off to bed. A beautiful day walking around a beautiful city, seeing the Vatican, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum and Roman Forum. It was beautiful, and a city in which football runs through its veins (quite literally through my veins), I hold no grudge for the stabbing, it’s all love. The reception I received on entering the ground was something I’ll never forget, it was special to know so many people cared about me, and knew me, and thought so much of me. The response me and Andy got from people on here (even from some of my adversaries 😂) has been amazing as well, it showed what an amazing fanbase we have, and the amount of stories from recognisable faces has been amazing and hilarious.

This whole experience of European football has been something I’ll never forget, and when I’m old and grey I’ll remember this as the best season of my life. Shout outs are so many, but firstly have to go out to the Jarvis Brook reserve team members who I met who consistently were the most pissed people on this entire tour. The lads and lasses who run Dogma magazine and NSK for always finding somewhere decent to drink. The clever people who stocked up on Agricultural Rhum in the Marseille hotel and drank long into the night. My mate Adan who’s a county league referee, who had 3 separate people in Athens come up to him and moan at him about decisions he’s made, and so many more. But mostly @Bozza and @Guinness Boy for setting up Andy’s fundraiser, that has really warmed my heart, I’ve said previously I’ve known him since Year 7, and I’m so happy you helped my friend. Finally shout out to My Long Suffering Mother and @Bombardier for putting up with my nonsense and accompanying me to Ajax and Rome.

One final final final final shoutout to my Dad, John Stephenson, some of you may have known him. He gave me the middle name Albion and gave me this bug, he sadly died in 2004, and never got to see the Amex, or the premier league, or the Europa League, but I know he’d have loved every minute of this. So on Thursday let’s go and win 5-0 for him, or at least, let’s give it our bloody best shot. As I said after I’d been stabbed, Up the F****** Albion.
My son has the same middle name (Albion) as you!

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I think I really completed Europe didn’t I.

Got locked in a pub in Marseille, fell down the stairs in my hotel at Ajax, Tear Gassed in Athens and Stabbed in Rome.

I enjoyed them all in different ways (yes, even Rome).

Marseille the atmosphere was amazing, it was special and I loved the city, the food was superb and the drinking establishments greater. People gave Marseille such a bad name in the build up, but I loved the edginess, the city had a real character to it, a siege mentality, such an amazing blend of cultures and people and most importantly football.

Ajax was like a 6,000 people stag do, complete and utter chaos at times, but thoroughly entertaining. Just every pub being absolutely filled to the brim with Brighton fans was special, seeing so many people I know from school, from football, from everywhere was something I’ll never forget, a real cup final atmosphere, as we saw off arguably one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Then it was Athens, my favourite of the lot. I’d never been to Greece in my life but as many of you know, I love their food. Taking an extra day before the game to explore the city was amazing, once again seeing so many people from away travels over the years. It was really special with the distance it felt like everyone was there, felt like they had to be there. I went out drinking that with some amazing people who I’ve met on this tour, and it was thoroughly enjoyable. The match itself was a spectacle, a bare bones Brighton squad scraping a 1-0 win away from home under the cosh, with the 18 year old son of a former Withdean Stalwart starring, it was Brighton. Fatboy Slim into the early hours of the morning with some great friends, another amazing day for the club. Special shout-out to the AEK Athens fans I met, who were so passionate about their sport, and so friendly (until they lost but I’ll forgive them, we all get upset when we lose, the Greeks are just passionate), and it opened my eyes to whole new footballing world. The food was 10/10 as well!

Finally Rome, well it was going so well. I had a lovely meal on the Tuesday night, a few drinks watching the champions league, then off to bed. A beautiful day walking around a beautiful city, seeing the Vatican, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum and Roman Forum. It was beautiful, and a city in which football runs through its veins (quite literally through my veins), I hold no grudge for the stabbing, it’s all love. The reception I received on entering the ground was something I’ll never forget, it was special to know so many people cared about me, and knew me, and thought so much of me. The response me and Andy got from people on here (even from some of my adversaries 😂) has been amazing as well, it showed what an amazing fanbase we have, and the amount of stories from recognisable faces has been amazing and hilarious.

This whole experience of European football has been something I’ll never forget, and when I’m old and grey I’ll remember this as the best season of my life. Shout outs are so many, but firstly have to go out to the Jarvis Brook reserve team members who I met who consistently were the most pissed people on this entire tour. The lads and lasses who run Dogma magazine and NSK for always finding somewhere decent to drink. The clever people who stocked up on Agricultural Rhum in the Marseille hotel and drank long into the night. My mate Adan who’s a county league referee, who had 3 separate people in Athens come up to him and moan at him about decisions he’s made, and so many more. But mostly @Bozza and @Guinness Boy for setting up Andy’s fundraiser, that has really warmed my heart, I’ve said previously I’ve known him since Year 7, and I’m so happy you helped my friend. Finally shout out to My Long Suffering Mother and @Bombardier for putting up with my nonsense and accompanying me to Ajax and Rome.

One final final final final shoutout to my Dad, John Stephenson, some of you may have known him. He gave me the middle name Albion and gave me this bug, he sadly died in 2004, and never got to see the Amex, or the premier league, or the Europa League, but I know he’d have loved every minute of this. So on Thursday let’s go and win 5-0 for him, or at least, let’s give it our bloody best shot. As I said after I’d been stabbed, Up the F****** Albion.
Your Dad was a really great bloke and he’d have been unbelievably proud of you.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I did Marseille, Ajax and Rome

I enjoyed Marseille, went on my own, just for the experience of being at our first European away game, the atmosphere and the come back. The city had some nice areas and the people outside of football were very nice

Ajax I went with a couple of friends so that was nice, I loved Amsterdam and want to go back even if there no football. But the match was more like a premier league atmosphere, but it was great to see us win.

Rome, was amazing city, I loved the whole trip apart from when conceded the goals. I don’t drink and I am reasonably savey when it comes to travelling as I do it a lot for work. I also think being a middle aged woman is an advantage as we are an invisible species, unless we are being deliberately lairy and I did not wear any colours. The hotel I stayed in near Termini station was really nice and the reception person was so friendly and helpful. Walking around seeing spectacular site around every corner was amazing. I walked so far so I could get a Ducati T shirt from Rome as a gift for my very understanding husband. I ended up get a public bus back to Termini that was was driven by someone with formula one ambitions the locals didn’t seem bothered, but the other tourists on the bus seemed a bit alarmed 😄

So all trips were very different if I could had the atmosphere of Marseille with the result at Ajax and in the city of Rome that would have been the Carlsberg of football away days.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I only had tickets for Marseille and Rome(couldn’t go to Athens regardless of ticket availability).
Loved both experiences. Although the sights of Rome were stunning Marseille was my favourite - the phenomenal atmosphere and noise in the stadium - plus the comeback, the weather, the Mopman experience - more than compensated for just how long we waited for those buses!!

Having only done the two most recent trips, I don't have as many pros and cons to dig into, but both Athens and Rome are trips I'll never forget for various reasons.

Athens will always hold the strongest place in my heart. I'd wanted us to get one of teams from the city prior to the group draw, so it was a no brainer that it'd be the one game I was picking to do in the group. A city packed with with history, culture, marvellous food, great weather in December and friendly and welcoming locals anytime I got talking about football made it a marvellous experience. Just seeing Albion colours everywhere, stopping to have random chats with fellow fans and chance encounters bumping into mates across the city was an absolute delight. While I'd loved to have been in with everyone in the away end, just being in the stadium in Block 8 was special that night. Obviously the tear gassing was a grim experience in the moment, but quickly forgotten once at Fatboy Slim, which was the perfect end to probably the most surreal day I may ever have supporting this club!

Rome ended up being a great experience also for many reasons. Albion has always been something where I didn't really have one big social group for the longest time - I'd go with my dad or on my own, but would maybe bump into some people I knew - but this season that's changed. I've got to know a group in the North Stand through a mate, and it's the first time I've truly had a bigger group of friends I can count on being able to hang with whenever I'm at a game. After I'd hung with them a fair bit in Athens but done my own thing mostly, for Rome a few of us stayed at the same hotel, went to see some of the sights together and had a lovely Wednesday evening of food and drink, before all heading to the game as a group. For me, that experience of it and getting to be in the away end with so many people I've known, whether for many years or a few months, is what I'll appreciate about the trip. It was also a great opportunity to finally get to Italy, which was long overdue given some of my favourite food in the world comes from said country.

Would be remiss if I didn't mention how on edge I was at many points during the trip - especially after waking up to the news on Thursday morning re the attack on Jack, Andy and co., which happened a few minutes up the road where we were staying and in an area we'd been walking through maybe only an hour prior to the attack - and my own level of anxiety would make me think twice about going back to the city for football specifically, but I've no regrets that I went.

Last edited:

Camship

Sep 16, 2012
Couldn't make Rome unfortunately, but the three group games were all great, probably even better than I could've expected when we first qualified or even when the group was drawn. Marseilles was a nice city I thought, the weather definitely helped, as well as the food and booze. Really got a taste for pastis over the few days I was there. As with all the trips, the best thing was meeting new people, locals and Brighton fans. On the Tuesday night ended up drinking with a bunch of self described Marseilles ultras, with one of my few memories from the early hours of Wednesday morning being them repeatedly telling me 'If you get in any trouble over here, just tell them you know us and you'll be fine.' On the Wednesday I met an American Brighton fan who hadn't been to a game before but had managed to get a ticket in the home end, and had to spend a solid 10 minutes persuading him that it was definitely a bad idea to wear a Brighton shirt whilst in amongst the Marseille fans at the game. As others have said the atmosphere at the game itself was incredible, totally unlike anything I'd experienced before, and our comeback was brilliant under the circumstances. Very much enjoyed being able to drink in our seats out there and in Amsterdam, even at the risk of getting covered in beer. Amsterdam was great too with there being so many of us out there and pulling off a surreal result. Think Athens was my favourite; amazing, historic city which was brilliant to wander around, great restaurants and bars, the nicest hostel of the three, and an incredible result to qualify. Only downside was failing to bump into Dunk of the Friday, despite my best attempts. Can't wait for the next time I get to enjoy a pint of Mythos. Was especially nice visiting places my mum had told me about as she used to live out there years ago, and the views you got from climbing the various hills were incredible. The whole experience of being in Europe and following Brighton to these places has been better than I ever could have expected, and I won't ever forget this season, what we achieved getting out that group, and meeting everyone along the way. Hard to imagine it will ever get better than this, but you never know.

I did Marseille, Ajax and Rome

I enjoyed Marseille, went on my own, just for the experience of being at our first European away game, the atmosphere and the come back. The city had some nice areas and the people outside of football were very nice

Ajax I went with a couple of friends so that was nice, I loved Amsterdam and want to go back even if there no football. But the match was more like a premier league atmosphere, but it was great to see us win.

Rome, was amazing city, I loved the whole trip apart from when conceded the goals. I don’t drink and I am reasonably savey when it comes to travelling as I do it a lot for work. I also think being a middle aged woman is an advantage as we are an invisible species, unless we are being deliberately lairy and I did not wear any colours. The hotel I stayed in near Termini station was really nice and the reception person was so friendly and helpful. Walking around seeing spectacular site around every corner was amazing. I walked so far so I could get a Ducati T shirt from Rome as a gift for my very understanding husband. I ended up get a public bus back to Termini that was was driven by someone with formula one ambitions the locals didn’t seem bothered, but the other tourists on the bus seemed a bit alarmed 😄

So all trips were very different if I could had the atmosphere of Marseille with the result at Ajax and in the city of Rome that would have been the Carlsberg of football away days.
Beautifully put

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We were there from Tuesday night to Friday morning, and I absolutely loved it.

Loved the stunning city of Rome itself, which we spent hours and hours walking about, drinking coffee, taking photos and soaking up the history.

Loved the weather - what a joy after the long dreary winter at home, to be able to walk about in a t-shirt for a couple of days.

Loved the stadium and atmosphere - the whole occasion - of the game itself - despite the horrible result.

Really enjoyed Amsterdam too, for different reasons (the result, seeing my brother who came over from Canada for the game, the vibe) but Rome definitely topped it for me. I do think the weather was a big part of that - the CONSTANT rain for three days in Amsterdam really did get tiresome.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We did Marseille, Ajax and Rome.

I still have massive FOMO having handed my Athens ticket back on the Monday before the game, but I can't complain given what we were able to experience on the other trips.

Like many old-timers on here, I've done the likes of Mansfield, Aldershot and Rochdale over the years, when the thought of visiting Marseille, Ajax and Roma never seemed possible.

Setting the on-the-pitch stuff aside for now, I enjoyed them all for different reasons...

Marseille: the atmosphere. Wow! There surely can't be many better introductions to European football than that. Mopman, too, obviously.

Ajax: the city. Walking around Amsterdam on the morning of the game, before it really rained again, was a delight. I'd only visited Amsterdam once before, on my own stag do over 20 years ago. For obvious reasons I don't recall too much about that, but I really enjoyed seeing Amsterdam and bumping into Albion fans every minute or two. It really felt like an Albion family celebration of just how far we'd come.

Rome: the city, again. Absolutely stunning. Our travel plans gave us a night in Milan and part of a day in Verona, which all served to illustrate I really need to spend a lot more time in Italy, and I'll try to remedy that ASAP. Sean's walking tour was great and, again, it was lovely to see so many familiar Albion faces as we made our way round the city. Unashamedly, I ate a lot of pizza and, whilst it was all fantastic, our Milan pizza was the best.

And beyond all that. it was lovely to spend time with two very good friends I've known for over 30 years. We had a lot of fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here