Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ref Drysdale?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

So to clarify. When you said:

If they did the job properly they wouldn’t have death threats or the need to result to improper conduct.

I thought that sounded like you said the referee's had brought these death threats down upon themselves, by apparently not doing their jobs properly. In other words, they asked for it. If you want to explain beyond the facepalm, then I'm all ears.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Do you remember when there was a spate of coin throwing at players? Carragher got hit and then gave it some back to the crowd and the incidents largely stopped at that point - and rightly so. A referee standing up to players once means he won't need to again. Do you think Nigel Owens in rugby would be so well respected in the game if he didn't have the confidence and the personality to stand up to the players and keep them in line?

A few weeks ago, Nuno at Wolves had harsh criticism of Lee Mason who he felt was influenced by the players on the pitch and I think there's a lot of that on the pitch. The referee should be the strongest personality out there. I don't agree with Drysdale squaring up to Judge but I don't think he did much wrong in standing his ground and refusing to be intimidated. I thought it was a brilliant moment and not really worthy of needing any kind of apology.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Common sense prevails. The gobby Ipswich player instigated the whole episode, showing no respect.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56366031
Darren Drysdale is free to officiate again after being given a backdated ban for improper conduct after his clash with Ipswich player Alan Judge.

The 49-year-old locked heads with Judge while refereeing Ipswich's game against Northampton on 16 February.

Drysdale, who admitted a breach of Football Association rules, has also been warned about his future conduct.

He said the abuse he received from Judge which led to the clash was "the worst he had experienced as a referee".

At a hearing, an independent regulatory commission was told Judge swore at Drysdale and described him as "cheating" and "bald".

The commission has imposed a suspension which ran from 19 February to 10 March.

Drysdale will not officiate at an English Football League game this weekend or on Tuesday next week.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was booked for telling a referee my Mum thought he was a w anchor. I didn’t think it was fair that I was booked for what she thought.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Hang on a minute, so Judge gave him that abuse, and has faced no punishment yet the referee has a one month ban and a black strike on his record. Referees are human beings, the FA acting as though they are robots irks me, undoubtably he was wrong in how he reacted as a professional but surely the FA should be acting to stop this kind of abuse to refs?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Near universal support for and defence of a ref is something I have never known in my time of watching football ... until now

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Maybe the Ipswich fans could make a nice banner in support of their player? Like the one they brought to the Amex in their Championship days!

SAC

May 21, 2014

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Indeed. It should be punished, maybe this will make the FA realise that the abuse referees get from players with players running towards them shouting expletives and using threatening body language can’t be allowed to go on, make it an instant booking. I’m amazed with some things that referees let slide when it comes to dissent.

In Sunday league it was brought in a few years ago that any confronting or abusive words towards referees are an instant yellow card (£10 fine) and in some instances sin bins were used, not sure if they still are.

Things must have changed since my reffing days then. Back then "foul or abusive language" to a referee was a straight red. I would suggest that reducing the punishment just encourages it to happen more often.

Of course, in the professional game players have never been sent off for abusive language to a referee. Too much money in the game; refs are too scared.

But boot on the other foot for a minute. Refs often don't help themselves. Look at Mike Dean (why is he no longer a Complete & Utter Shyster??) with his "Off you pop" comment when sending off Dunk. If I had spoken to a Sunday League player like that I would have expected to have got decked. And rightly so. Respect has to work both ways

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here