Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Really quick throwaway maths question (I'm useless)

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
Got a "U" in maths, and all my mates are thick too

Phantom of the Opera, centre stalls seat 2004. 27 piece orchestra, original production - £45. Adjusted for inflation, £70.66 in 2020. Programme £3.

Phantom of the Opera, centre stalls seat 2021. 14 piece orchestra, "new" production - £89.50.
Programme price TBC.

Inflation averaged 2.9%, a like-for-like ticket increased in price by 26.6%.

This is a 23.7% increase above inflation.

Is this correct?

It depends what theatre it's on at.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Phantom of the Opera, centre stalls seat 2004. 27 piece orchestra, original production - £45. Adjusted for inflation, £70.66 in 2020. Programme £3.

Phantom of the Opera, centre stalls seat 2021. 14 piece orchestra, "new" production - £89.50.
Programme price TBC.

Is this correct?

Just get a Season Ticket for The Albion mate.

Hopefully the dates will clash and you'll have a ready made excuse for avoiding Phantom.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Programme price TBC.

Is this correct?

No, because you are confusing averages with absolute numbers. Not quite sure of where 2.9% comes from, but it is irrelevant to the comparison you are trying to make. The only true way to compere is to compare the change in the prices index with the change in the ticket price over comparable period.

The Consumer Prices Index in Jan 2004 stood at 75.8; in January 2020 it was 108.2, so prices have increased generally by 42% in the 16 year period (the average CPI for each year is similar to Jan figure) so if Phantom prices had merely kept pace with inflation the ticket price should be about £64.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think folk forget it is 2.9% per year, and that the calculation is based on each new yearly figure and not the original figure.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
But it's a different show, yes it's still PotO, but different orchestra, different cast and probably some script changes as it's a 'new production. So the inflation is the only factor in the price change.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here