Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rate Albion's centre-backs from the 2020/21 season

How did you rate Albion's centre-backs last season?

• 1. Dunk 2. Webster 3. White

Votes: 104 53.3%
  • 1. Dunk 2. White 3. Webster

Votes: 71 36.4%
  • 1. Webster 2. Dunk 3. White

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • 1. Webster 2. White 3. Dunk

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 1. White 2. Dunk 3. Webster

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 1. White 2. Webster 3. Dunk

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
With a new formation and 3 CB's the season started with Webster looking the most comfortable and Dunk the weakest. However a change in Goalkeeper saw Dunk move from the worst performer to our most consistent and seeming to thrive with the confidence in his no1.

I voted for Webster, Dunk, White

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
With a new formation and 3 CB's the season started with Webster looking the most comfortable and Dunk the weakest. However a change in Goalkeeper saw Dunk move from the worst performer to our most consistent and seeming to thrive with the confidence in his no1.

Amazing the effect of not having to concentrate on what Ryan was doing did to Dunk’s game.

His best and worst performance of the season was Wolves away. Up until the red card that ultimately cost us 3 points, he was quite simply World class. It wasn’t just the goal. There was an astonishing defensive header along with a series of beautiful long passes where he switched the play with utter majesty.

With Maguire injured (and perhaps, even if he was fit), the England back 2 (we should not be playing 3 at the back with so much attacking talent) should be Dunk & Stones on current form. White gets the nod if Stones starts with the mistakes again. I hope Ben has a word with the England management about having ‘at least two better Englishman’ than Mings and Coady.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Where's the option for

1) Dunk
2) Veltman
3) White
4) Webster

Don't get me wrong, Ben White is a real talent and will certainly end up being the best of the bunch, but if we are ranking on week-by-week performances, I would certainly have him behind both Dunk and Veltman at least on last seasons performances. Webster has had a great season too and before his injury, I probably would have had Webster ahead of him.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Dunk, Webster, White for me this season but it's a very close call. I'm still not convinced by White in the air (defensively and attacking) but in Dunk and Webster, the bar has been set very high in that area.

Just hoping I get to see Lamptey, White, Dunk, Webster, March next season :clap:

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
White is still young, he will potentially be better than Dunk at the same age. Webster also.

the prospect of having weapons grade English defenders playng for Brighton AND England is almost unreal . . . . like Ronald Koeman and Ivan Nielsen, or Franco Baresi and Alessandro Costacurta. World class.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
When at their best and in purely defensive terms

Dunk
Webster
White

Most consistent

Dunk
White
Webster

Least mistakes (I think this is a bit different from most consistent)

White
Dunk
Webster

Best in the air

Dunk
Webster
White

Best bringing the ball out

White
Dunk
Webster

Most versatile

White
Webster
Dunk

Long term prospect

White
Webster
Dunk

And given the options and Webster's blips when coming back from injury, I voted Dunk, White, Webster

You say that about least mistakes (and obvs accepting its a big step up and first season), but White was guilty of ball watching on a few conceded goals. A few lapses.

On the ball/passing - he's fantastic, driving forward v.good. He is a great player but purely defensively, both the other 2 are better defenders, betting attacking headers of the ball etc.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
White is still young, he will potentially be better than Dunk at the same age. Webster also.

the prospect of having weapons grade English defenders playng for Brighton AND England is almost unreal . . . . like Ronald Koeman and Ivan Nielsen, or Franco Baresi and Alessandro Costacurta. World class.

He needs to get better with the dark arts imho, he's too nice!

The goals that Rashford and Foden scored at the amex were both brilliant, both times it was white primarily that was done.... Rashfords was in the area, so possible not much he could do, but Foden shouldve been bundled over, fouled long before he got near the box imho. If that was Dunky or Webster on him I dare say he wouldv'e. White ran almost should to shoulder with him from the half way line.

Foden is exceptional and its all good learning, if it happened again, hopefully he'd just put his arm across and bundle him over.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Dunk
Webster
White

Most consistent

Dunk
White
Webster

White
Dunk
Webster

Best in the air

Dunk
Webster
White

White
Dunk
Webster

Most versatile

White
Webster
Dunk

Long term prospect

White
Webster
Dunk

And given the options and Webster's blips when coming back from injury, I voted Dunk, White, Webster

Decent summary that. :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
One of the top 2 for sure. I still find it weird there were several posters saying Dunk started the season poorly which I really didn’t see at the time. Luckily Lewis didn’t see it that way either If you listen to his acceptance speech after the POTS award. He attributed it to his most consistent season and so did Welbeck and Webster!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Dunk
Webster
White

Most consistent

Dunk
White
Webster

White
Dunk
Webster

Best in the air

Dunk
Webster
White

White
Dunk
Webster

Most versatile

White
Webster
Dunk

Long term prospect

White
Webster
Dunk

Excellent post and agree with every one. It’s not always as simple as ‘best CB’ is it!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You say that about least mistakes (and obvs accepting its a big step up and first season), but White was guilty of ball watching on a few conceded goals. A few lapses.

On the ball/passing - he's fantastic, driving forward v.good. He is a great player but purely defensively, both the other 2 are better defenders, betting attacking headers of the ball etc.

Always going to be subjective as all defenders (Apart from Tyrone Mings obvs) make mistakes. Maybe he gets the benefit of the doubt being new to this level but he seems to have adapted very quickly.

Last edited:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
They're all clearly VERY good centre-backs, and there's not much between them at all. I think the key with White is that his ceiling is undoubtedly higher than the other two, primarily due to being that bit more mobile and therefore better suited the high line that the likes of Man City & Liverpool play.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He needs to get better with the dark arts imho, he's too nice!

The goals that Rashford and Foden scored at the amex were both brilliant, both times it was white primarily that was done.... Rashfords was in the area, so possible not much he could do, but Foden shouldve been bundled over, fouled long before he got near the box imho. If that was Dunky or Webster on him I dare say he wouldv'e. White ran almost should to shoulder with him from the half way line.

Foden is exceptional and its all good learning, if it happened again, hopefully he'd just put his arm across and bundle him over.

or tackle him and walk off with the ball leaving the fringed one on his arse.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
White will be the best of the 3 but for this season it’s been Dunk, Webster then White

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
You have to say with Solly and Tariq next to Dunk, White & Webster, we have the makings of the greatest Albion defence of all time!

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Dunk, Webster, White for me this season but it's a very close call. I'm still not convinced by White in the air (defensively and attacking) but in Dunk and Webster, the bar has been set very high in that area.

Just hoping I get to see Lamptey, White, Dunk, Webster, March next season :clap:

So am I.

Just can't forget how Tariq was just about the most exciting, dazzling and talked about player in the Premier league for the first half of last season before his injury. Hard to imagine that his talent would not have led to more of those elusive goals we desperately needed.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Genuinely believe we have a top 6 back 5 but sadly a bottom 6 attacking unit.

Dunk, Webster and White are (VVD aside) up there with the best in the division

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Brilliant poll [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], even if you did fail to randomise the order of the options meaning the obvious correct answer was obviously number 1. Confirmation bias. :wink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here