Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rainbow Laces: Everyone's game [Sky Sports News]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
skysports-rainbow-flag-whitehawk-football-is-for-everyone_3836451.jpg
skysports-rainbow-flag-whitehawk-football-is-for-everyone_3836451.jpg

Fans of Brighton-based club Whitehawk FC unveil a rainbow banner at an FA Cup tie at Dagenham last December

"Hope I wasn't that boring!" tweeted Liam Rosenior, after his guest pundit appearance on Sky Sports' coverage of Brighton v Aston Villa last Friday night.
The general response? Far from it. "Talking sense", "fair and honest" and "impressive use of the word 'gesticulating'" were just some of the comments made on the merits of Rosenior's analysis. Fulham's Sone Aluko was critical - but only of his former Hull team-mate's moustache. "Used to enjoy arguing football with him," he added.
Rosenior, now 32 and currently sidelined with an ankle injury, is proving to be the proverbial 'chip off the old block', with a national newspaper column and TV appearances, and father Leroy having been a familiar football voice in broadcast and print for several years.
rainbow-laces-stonewall-homophobia-football-campaign_3790874.jpg

[h=3]Is football ready for a gay star?[/h] SSNHQ's Geraint Hughes explores whether English football is ready for its first openly gay player.

And like his dad, who is a vice-president of the Show Racism the Red Card educational charity, Rosenior is also well worth listening to when it comes to matters beyond tactics and technique.
In the build-up to the Villa game, Liam was a special guest on Brighton fans' radio show/podcast The Albion Roar. When asked what factors persuaded him to sign for the Seagulls in June 2015, he emphasised both the 'identity' of the club and the city as being crucial to his decision.
brighton-fans-sheffield-wednesday_3836615.jpg
brighton-fans-sheffield-wednesday_3836615.jpg

Brighton and Hove Albion fans have helped foster a strong sense of community and diversity at the club

"Brighton's sense of personality is very strong. There's a real way of thinking, a way of living down here," said Rosenior.
"I immerse myself in living in Brighton. It's a liberal, open place where people are respected no matter where they come from, whether they're gay, straight, black or white. I resonate with that."
Hearing diversity embraced in such clear terms by a professional footballer is still somewhat rare - and therefore rather refreshing. Rosenior's comments are timely too, as the Rainbow Laces campaign builds towards a weekend of action on November 26-27.
Now in its fourth year, the campaign seeks to raise awareness of homophobia, biphobia and transphobia in sport, and is run by Stonewall, the UK's LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) equality charity.*
16-9
liam-rosenior-brighton-skysports_3836447.jpg

[h=2]I immerse myself in living in Brighton. It's a liberal, open place where people are respected no matter where they come from, whether they're gay, straight, black or white. I resonate with that.[/h] Liam Rosenior

The respect Rosenior speaks of has become part of the culture in Brighton, often dubbed*the 'unofficial gay capital of Britain'*-*and by extension at Albion, who are*ardent backers*of the city's famous Pride parade*and whose 'Albion In the Community' charity has undertaken anti-discrimination work in local schools.
Stonewall FC coach Eric Najib discusses whether football is ready for its first openly gay footballer while still playing

Many clubs around the country are similarly supportive of such projects and*as Stonewall notes in its campaign literature for Rainbow Laces, "most fans and players do welcome and accept LGBT team-mates and fans".
However, homophobia in sport sadly remains prevalent - 72 per cent*of football fans have heard anti-LGBT remarks at games over the last five years. Homophobic attitudes and abuse continue to keep many LGBT people in the UK (an estimated 6 per cent*of the population) away from sport entirely, or prevents them from feeling able to be open about who they are, should they wish to do so.
In short, "a small but vocal minority spoil the game for everyone else".
Speaking to Sky Sports in September, Thomas Hitzlsperger said football's battle against homophobia is still in its infancy

A taboo subject for too long, developments in recent weeks have widened the debate. Parliament's 'Homophobia in Sport' inquiry has been open and hearing evidence since April; in another Culture, Media and Sport committee hearing last month, the FA chairman Greg Clarke spoke of the need to "redouble efforts" to provide a safe space in which gay players who wanted to come out, could; the Burnley striker Andre Gray received a four-game ban for historic homophobic comments he made on Twitter, highlighting growing concern around the effects of social media; and a BBC commissioned ComRes online survey produced a startling statistic that 8 per cent*of fans would stop watching their team if their club signed a gay player.
So what can wearing a pair of Rainbow Laces achieve? Well, they're a visible show of support for LGBT inclusion in sport (they cost a donation of £3, and the money goes towards projects such as anti-bullying training, and campaigns and initiatives designed to tackle discrimination worldwide). Lacing up in this vibrant way is a demonstration of shared values - that everyone is respected by you or your team, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
rainbow-laces-manchester-united-lgbt-laurent-koscielny-michael-carrick-premier_3790859.jpg
rainbow-laces-manchester-united-lgbt-laurent-koscielny-michael-carrick-premier_3790859.jpg

Michael Carrick and Laurent Koscielny exchanged rainbow laces before the Premier League match between Man Utd and Arsenal in February

There's more to the campaign than just shoes and boots, though - and to make it 'everyone's game' truly takes everyone. Non-LGBT individuals are encouraged to become 'allies' and challenge homophobia. Here's three*ways you can help...
Challenge inappropriate*'banter' - negative or disrespectful language makes people uncomfortable, regardless of their sexuality. For those who may identify as LGBT, it*likely won't be a joke and can reduce their involvement in sport, and*affect their performance adversely.
Report abuse - if you can't challenge someone directly or you feel intimidated, take your concerns to a coach, manager or senior figure. Another method is to use Kick It Out's reporting app, where you can confidentially document incidents you may have seen, heard or witnessed, at matches or on social media.
Encourage leaders and role models - whether LGBT people or 'allies', those with the power to influence and inspire others can help to build acceptance. There is a lack of 'out' sportsmen and women at the highest level, particularly in football, and visibility helps to challenge stereotypes.
Take a look at the trailer for the new short film WONDERKID, which portrays the inner turmoil of a young gay footballer

Finally, back to Brighton and Hove Albion.*Rosenior believes it's a club that will not only reach the Premier League very soon (they have lost just seven Sky Bet Championship games since the start of the 2015/16 season), but establish itself there*- and its ethos inspires him.
"I think that this football club - in terms of the Albion in the Community scheme, in terms of girls, women's, men's, Academy, disabled... the passion for each one of those categories of football is so strong," he added to The Albion Roar.
"I'm really passionate about identities of football clubs. When I've finished playing, I want to coach, I want to manage... I think you have to have a sense of who you are as a person, and who you are as an organisation."
be-yourself-wonderkid-trailer_3484165.jpg

[h=3]WONDERKID: What's the story?[/h] Director, star and Sky Sports talent of new short film about gay footballer discuss the project...

Authenticity - being true to yourself -*is being*increasingly recognised as important in professional sport. In a competitive world where 'marginal gains' can reap huge rewards, any effort expended on trying to fit in rather than fulfil your*potential is effort wasted.
The Rainbow Laces campaign reminds us that everyone*has a part to play and deserves to be respected*- "no matter what".

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

More...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here