Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Questions about transfers.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Had an argument down the pub. My point was that a bidding war between 2 clubs for a player was worth more to the selling club than how long they may have left on the contract. The retort was that no because the player has the say of which club they go to.

I don't know much about player contracts so how much this is true.

Also the argument that players need to move on to maximise income during their playing career which can be short is tempered by insurance against career ending injury, if thats in the contract.

Are these points true? Who knows?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I presume a player has a say in the sense he can refuse to go to one of the clubs. But this is surely all?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A player can refuse to join one of the clubs if they want. Only the bids from clubs the player is happy to go to can be considered.

As regards injury insurance, it is a thing. I heard an ex-player saying it cost him five grand a month !

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I presume a player has a say in the sense he can refuse to go to one of the clubs. But this is surely all?
And the selling club can say no to the player’s preferred destination club too

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A player can refuse to join one of the clubs if they want. Only the bids from clubs the player is happy to go to can be considered.

As regards injury insurance, it is a thing. I heard an ex-player saying it cost him five grand a month !
Doesn’t sound that unrealistic - ballpark income protection cost say £10/month for £2,000/month at age 25 through to 65, so £5k/month would buy £1m/month cover at the same rate.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I presume a player can insure against loss of earnings

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yep, same as anyone else - income protection, critical illness cover etc.
Thanks. I should have gone on to say….. but if they are on a long (Chelsea type) contact why would they? In many cases their earnings potential would eventually diminish (to nothing) with age

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
reckon the player has some say though limited in they will be persuaded one way or another (agents will benefit from the highest bider).

what i dont understand is why player's opinion makes a difference between bid war or contract length? could have a bid war with a short contracts, just starts lower.

moving on doesnt necessarily mean maximising income, if you're getting matched rates re-signing at current club. it does maximise income for the agents though...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Had an argument down the pub. My point was that a bidding war between 2 clubs for a player was worth more to the selling club than how long they may have left on the contract. The retort was that no because the player has the say of which club they go to.

Also the argument that players need to move on to maximise income during their playing career which can be short is tempered by insurance against career ending injury, if thats in the contract.

A player on a long contract is going to be harder to prise away than one on a short one, the fees for Bissouma and Trossard versus the fees for White and Cucurella reflect that. Certainly true that a player under contract does not have to go anywhere he does not want to, not even out on loan.
More money is more money, and if your insurance is against loss of earnings, you will get paid out more on an injury if you were earning more.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There are so many bidding wars my brain can't process them. Cn someone kindly list a few for me?
They don't happen, two clubs being interested just makes it easier for the selling club to say no at lower figures, once one bid is accepted, that fee will usually be all that is required from any club, though that may differ if to a direct rival.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks. I should have gone on to say….. but if they are on a long (Chelsea type) contact why would they? In many cases their earnings potential would eventually diminish (to nothing) with age
At that level the insurance contracts are individually negotiated so you can do what you want (at a price obviously). Also depends on the contract I guess, and any terms included around career-ending injury for example. If the player could see it terminated then he'd insure, if not then I'd expect the club to insure themselves.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

The selling club can tell the player that they're not going anywhere if they don't get offered enough, so they need to stay out of it while 2 other clubs bid for them. Those clubs may push the price up, and then the seller just accepts offers from both clubs at the same price, and the player chooses.

It will no doubt depend on the variables - how long left of the contract, how in demand is the player likely to be?
Harry Maguire could have a lot left on his contract, but no one will bid anything because they don't want him on his high salary.

If Caicedo only had a year left I'd expect more than one club to bid for him and the price to be fairly high because those clubs wouldn't want him going to a rival - and I'd expect him to be happy with quite a few of the top clubs, so that wouldn't reduce the fee.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
The selling club can tell the player that they're not going anywhere if they don't get offered enough, so they need to stay out of it while 2 other clubs bid for them. Those clubs may push the price up, and then the seller just accepts offers from both clubs at the same price, and the player chooses.
This is it in a nutshell - if the selling club accept the bids from both clubs then that is when the player can choose their preferred destination. If only one of the bids is accepted but the player prefers the other club then no doubt the agent will be speaking to that club to encourage them to match the offer and the player will choose them !

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

From my understanding & what I’ve been told it’s a combination of what’s best for the club and the player . The club wants the best price but the player has to be happy with the club and the salary package and length of contract etc

I suspect this isn’t likely to be a big issue when any of our most in demand players leave as they are all leaving in most circumstances to increased salaries in some cases more than double what they are being paid at Brighton.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
There are very definitley different scenarios in play here- depending on the individual player.

Lets take Cucurella and Mac Allister as the examples of two very different mindsets

Cucu it seems had his head turned by promises of wealth beyond his wildest dreams. He latched onto the first "big" club who fluttered their eyes at him, professed an life long desitre to play at the Ethiad, and was only going there- no where else. Untill of course he didnt. Along comes another suitor waving a bigger wad and his lifelong love affair changes to a different shade of Blue- couldn't wait to jump ship. Im sure if Liverpool had called, or Utd he would be equally as enamoured by the colour red.
In this case a bidding war certainly pushed his price way up, beniftted the club, and financially at least the player. He went at the first available opportuity without a second thought for his contract, his team, or in fact his playing carrer

Ali Mac on the other hand, could virtually have picked what top team in Europe he wanted to play at, and could have sat back and waited for the clubs to outbid each other. Financially beniffiting him and Brighton , however he didnt. He made it very clear his ppriority was playing football, and whislt he would be more than happy to go, he would be more than happy to stay. The club and player both had to be happy with where and when he went and for what money. Liverpool is a good fit, although Im sure he could have earned more at plenty of other clubs.
Hee waited till the time was right, he was the ultimate professional in his dealings with the clubs, the fans, and he gave his all on the pitch till the final whistle of the season, as in fairness did White, Bissouma,

In a third scenario- (Caceiado) the club showed who really holds the cards- basically suitor lined up, player eager to go, but the club simply said NO. It could have gone very wrong with Moises doing a Trossard and sulking, but the club tiook that risk, and will undoubtedly reap the rewards either in the coming weeks or almost certainly by nexyt summer

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
There are more variables to consider including.

1 Transfer payment terms. Big up front payments are generally better received by selling clubs, than scheduled payments over the term of the contract. Two equivalent bids may be structured completely differently.

2 Timing. Losing a player at the start of the season is very disruptive. It messes up pre-season and makes it extremely hard to recruit suitable good value replacements.

3 Cashflow position of the selling club.

There are times when a bidding war is helpful, but it isn' always the case. For example Ugarte to PSG is based on them paying a higher salary than Chelsea were prepared to offer. The Chelsea bid was supposed to be more beneficial to the selling club Sporting CP. In this instance both clubs were prepared to meet the release clause.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here