Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protest about Benfield Valley Development

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Of course new homes wont be for local people... the local people already have homes there... that is what makes them local in the first place? It is an utterly, utterly stupid argument for not building homes. More NIMBY-ist twaddle.
Err local people who don't own a home etc perhaps ... as others have mentioned, all this development would do is attract yet more already wealthy londoners who sell their London property for silly money and move into these houses for silly money. Helps no-one bar those already well off and the money grabbing developers and destroys a unique bit of countryside in our city and adds congestion to already congested roads in the process. Brilliant

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Of course new homes wont be for local people... the local people already have homes there... that is what makes them local in the first place? It is an utterly, utterly stupid argument for not building homes. More NIMBY-ist twaddle.
The younger ones don't. They're living with Mum and Dad or spending all their money on rent. You seem like a typical blinkered Boomer.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This is what gets me more than anything when it comes to all the development going on. No-one gives a shit about the infrastructure which as you say already can't cope. It's unforgivable that so much development is allowed in places such as along the a259 which is already beyond capacity. Yes we need new houses but where the f*** are the new roads etc to go with all the new houses? Utterly infuriating
Oh yes. It was probably the only thing on which me and Ed Bassford (the great Lord Bracknell) regularly disagreed. He was totally opposed to any kind of infrastructure update, from improvements to the A27 to more pie-in-the-sky projects such as BML2. For him there was no transport situation that couldn't be solved by converting existing road space into more bus and cycle lanes.

There was method in his madness though. It meant that any new residential development could be dismissed on the grounds that the local infrastructure couldn't cope. But of course new developments have been allowed and we've now got the worst of both worlds: enough new and planned development to swamp transport, schools and surgeries, but not nearly enough to satisfy the demand. (And the laws of Supply and Demand mean that the (relatively) few new properties are often hugely expensive).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh yes. It was probably the only thing on which me and Ed Bassford (the great Lord Bracknell) regularly disagreed. He was totally opposed to any kind of infrastructure update, from improvements to the A27 to more pie-in-the-sky projects such as BML2. For him there was no transport situation that couldn't be solved by converting existing road space into more bus and cycle lanes.

There was method in his madness though. It meant that any new residential development could be dismissed on the grounds that the local infrastructure couldn't cope. But of course new developments have been allowed and we've now got the worst of both worlds: enough new and planned development to swamp transport, schools and surgeries, but not nearly enough to satisfy the demand. (And the laws of Supply and Demand mean that the (relatively) few new properties are often hugely expensive).
we’ve not got enough kids for the number of school places we have in B&H, hence the new Toads Hole application removes the proposed school.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
There are 800,00+ empty homes in the UK.

Let's start by looking at those, plus second homes and landlords with multiple properties - all these keep prices higher than they should be.

We need more housing, but in the right places and of the right type.

(BTW I live nowhere near the site in question so have no vested interest)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This is what gets me more than anything when it comes to all the development going on. No-one gives a shit about the infrastructure which as you say already can't cope. It's unforgivable that so much development is allowed in places such as along the a259 which is already beyond capacity. Yes we need new houses but where the f*** are the new roads etc to go with all the new houses? Utterly infuriating
A27 couldn't cope in the 70's!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Err local people who don't own a home etc perhaps ... as others have mentioned, all this development would do is attract yet more already wealthy londoners who sell their London property for silly money and move into these houses for silly money. Helps no-one bar those already well off and the money grabbing developers and destroys a unique bit of countryside in our city and adds congestion to already congested roads in the process. Brilliant
That is why just switching to electric cars is not the answer to our transport strategy. Culturally at some point we need to realise that building bigger roads for more cars isn't the answer, owning less cars is. Population growth and car ownership congests roads - the people moving to these houses likely already own a car, it's not like suddenly you're adding to the overall traffic, it's existing traffic that just moves from one place to somewhere else.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That is why just switching to electric cars is not the answer to our transport strategy. Culturally at some point we need to realise that building bigger roads for more cars isn't the answer, owning less cars is. Population growth and car ownership congests roads - the people moving to these houses likely already own a car, it's not like suddenly you're adding to the overall traffic, it's existing traffic that just moves from one place to somewhere else.
Agreed and it's another reason why an extra 100 homes ( at the moment - watch the creep ) is such a monumentally stupid idea. The link road grinds to an almost halt for over two hours in the morning and nearly three hours in the evening already. Add another 100+ cars to that - and the fact that Hangleton Lane won't be able to cope with any extra traffic as well.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
There are 800,00+ empty homes in the UK.

Let's start by looking at those, plus second homes and landlords with multiple properties - all these keep prices higher than they should be.

We need more housing, but in the right places and of the right type.

(BTW I live nowhere near the site in question so have no vested interest)
Where are you getting that 800K figure from?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A comprehensive integrated mass passenger transport is the only answer. Regular, modestly-priced buses and trams/light railways. Everything completely integrated. Covering ALL suburbs and beyond, even if some routes are subsidised. A long-term plan that’s not reversed when councils change administration.

Only Burnham in Greater Manchester is implementing this.

These must cover entire conurbations and metropolises eg Durrington to east Brighton.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A comprehensive integrated mass passenger transport is the only answer. Regular, modestly-priced buses and trams/light railways. Everything completely integrated. Covering ALL suburbs and beyond, even if some routes are subsidised. A long-term plan that’s not reversed when councils change administration.

These must cover entire conurbations and metropolises eg Durrington to east Brighton.
I didn't come here for a lecture in communism :wink:

(I hate having to fill in for @Stat Brother, I'll be glad when he's back on here more often :down:)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I didn't come here for a lecture in communism :wink:

(I hate having to fill in for @Stat Brother, I'll be glad when he's back on here more often :down:)
It's all so logical isn't it. I was thinking along these lines 35 year ago.

Imagine a light railway/tram from Marine Gate to the Adur, set at reasonable prices, running every 5 minutes. It would replace the need for so many car journeys, as people commute, use the sections they need.

Decades of no strategic transport planning by every relevant entity, in this nation.

French cities just get on with it. By a mix of public and private sector funding.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's all so logical isn't it. I was thinking along these lines 35 year ago.

Imagine a light railway/tram from Marine Gate to the Adur, set at reasonable prices, running every 5 minutes. It would replace the need for so many car journeys, as people commute, use the sections they need.

Decades of no strategic transport planning by every relevant entity, in this nation.

French cities just get on with it. By a mix of public and private sector funding.
Many European countries also had a light bulb moment and went - 'hang on, population projection plus car ownership increase = gridlock, we need to change culturally, mentally and produce transport plans that work for everyone'. 35 years later, oh look, cars that are needed can park and get around, it's safe and efficient to cycle, it's healthier so the work force is more productive, the environments are safer and more inviting to footfall, local economies blossom. That didn't happen here obviously .

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough

Yes, I lived in Zurich for 3 years and never had or needed a car. It would have been mad to buy one. And just to rub it in, if I remember correctly it was less than the equivalent of £1000 to have an annual season ticket to travel on any of the wonderful trains, buses, trams or boats in the greater Zurich area. Always a seat, always on time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here