Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Prophetic books

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Tim Marshall’s books on geography and politics are fascinating in the light of how Russia is behaving today.
Read the three of them a few years ago. Have now re-read them in light of Putins War, and now the looming Middle East crisis. Fascinating!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
1984 (Orwell)
Brave New World (Huxley)
Handmaid's Tale (Atwood)
Fahrenheit 451 (Bradbury)

All about dystopian futures which now appear sadly to have arrived.

The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists (Tressell) - published in 1915, about a group of impoverished cap-doffing workers who slavishly adore their 'kind' bosses ("they give us jobs, and deserve their wealth. We should be grateful and know our place."), and blame their poverty wages and slum housing on foreigners. Anyone who tries to educate them, or improve their conditions, is denounced as a utopian, a trouble-maker or a Commie. Some things never change.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
We are all going to die
But are we?

Friday 17th April 1981, a bungled arrest over a joint (🙈) sparked a full scale riot in Brixton, in turn it arguably spawned civil unrest in almost every major UK city, in the lead up to the Royal Wedding.

We played, and dicked, Palace at Selhurst on the Saturday and recall before leaving for the game my then 78 year old grandad looking at the photos in the paper and asking where was it all going to end?

43 years on, Brixton is probably a far safer place than it was in the wake of Thatcher’s Britain.

Are we all guilty, me included, of actually believing almost everything the main stream media now tell us, and probably worst still all the doom merchants on social media?

I got sent an on line petition last night to stop immigration for 5 years, ie close our borders. Good luck with that 🙈

I appreciate things could be better but are they actually as bad as the powers that be (or the media)would have us believe?

I wrongly believed two days before Hereford that Tony Blair was a person who could change my and my families life for the better, knocking 60, although a tad once bitten twice shy, I actually believe Starmer and co will make it a fairer society for all, which can only be a positive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here