Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Privacy button appeared overnight

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Mine doesn't scroll with the screen can't get rid of it though, chrome on Android. Clicked it to decline
1424 partners 😱
You may click to consent to our and our 1424 partners’ processing for such purposes
I thought cookies were on their way out
This guy wouldn't be happy if that was true...

Cookie Monster Eating GIF by Sesame Street

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I like it, the more blue and white the better.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sounds like this is just me then. It's on a PC laptop, using Chrome as a server, if that helps.
accepting the cookie/privacy check usually effective way to stop privacy notices here.
if you dont, there's a check everytime you open a page with some cookie request.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Any Ideas @Bozza ? It’s not the end of the world but it’s annoying that it just appeared overnight - any way to get rid of the bugger please?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry - I'd not seen this before your PM @jcdenton08 - a lot going on right now.

Has it really just reappeared? I thought it was there all the time for me, but maybe it wasn't. But it should have been...

I don't really have any choice about that - it's best practice for ad networks to give users full control. However, thinking about it, as an NSC Patron you don't get any ads, so I might be able to tweak it so that it no longer displays for this group. I'll take a look in the next day or two.

@Machiavelli - I've not made any changes - you shouldn't get the privacy dialogue on every page render. It should just be once in a while (30 days, I think). However the privacy box sets a cookie to essentially say "the user has accepted this" so it knows not to ask you again. If browser security settings are high, it may be blocking that cookie so the privacy box doesn't know you've accepted it, so it asks again. And again. And again. Does that make sense?

So, I'd be checking your browser security settings. Maybe Chrome has had an update that has tightened them or similar.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
^^^ thanks for looking into it. If you can’t do anything I can live with it - but yeah it just came overnight a few nights ago. No rush or anything, just wondered if it was an easy tweak. Cheers.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sorry - I'd not seen this before your PM @jcdenton08 - a lot going on right now.

Has it really just reappeared? I thought it was there all the time for me, but maybe it wasn't. But it should have been...

I don't really have any choice about that - it's best practice for ad networks to give users full control. However, thinking about it, as an NSC Patron you don't get any ads, so I might be able to tweak it so that it no longer displays for this group. I'll take a look in the next day or two.

@Machiavelli - I've not made any changes - you shouldn't get the privacy dialogue on every page render. It should just be once in a while (30 days, I think). However the privacy box sets a cookie to essentially say "the user has accepted this" so it knows not to ask you again. If browser security settings are high, it may be blocking that cookie so the privacy box doesn't know you've accepted it, so it asks again. And again. And again. Does that make sense?

So, I'd be checking your browser security settings. Maybe Chrome has had an update that has tightened them or similar.
Many thanks for your response. I'm going to reveal my poor understanding of such tech things. I don't think I need to update Chrome, because my work has regular security updates, but will check with tech support on that. The scenario I described actually followed on from the latest security update, and lasted for a day or two. Thankfully, it's stopped now, but was persistent and consistent during those 24-48 hours. During that time, I did use my Android phone to access NSC and the problem wasn't there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here