Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Priti Patel thanks Front line NHS staff by increasing their immigration health surcharge

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I would imagine Ian Hislop would have a field day with two posters on this thread for defending the indefensible. They are the very embodiment of the boss of one of my favourite TV detectives who often said, just before the sleuth was shown to be bang to rights about something the boss would rather not contemplate, "Now, let's not jump to conclusions Morse" :lolol:

We shouldn't jump to conclusions though. We all back Britain and believe in Boris to get Covid-19 done and then focus on the important things like delivering the exact NHS people voted for and funding our Brexit means Brexit instead and taking back control of our laws, borders and money and signing great new free trade deals around the world with all the countries that are queuing up to do so etc, etc.

Boris appointed Priti because Boris knew that she was the best placed, best skilled and best qualified to be the finest Home Secretary this great nation has ever seen, as you rightly point out above. There's no 'may' about this. She IS.

Boris knows exactly what he's doing, just like Priti, so all this criticism is totally unfair.

Back Boris. Protect Priti. Stay at Home Office.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Vile, out of touch, unempathetic Tory is vile, out of touch and unempathetic. Is anyone actually surprised? ???

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The country has to be run like a business, and in business there is no room for sentiment. At least that's how it seems.

That's an absolutely flippant response to what was a legitimate question.

I don't say that there shouldn't be a charge. Personally I don't agree with the charge but these charges were in place when people made their employment application so they entered into this contract voluntarily.

However, what if those health workers. Let's say the little Portuguese lad and the New Zealand woman who supposedly saved Boris Johnsons life.

What if they said. "My shift is finishing now . Gotta go. Bye. I don't care if then next people due on next are off sick with Corona Virus. There are no friends in Business. Prime Minister or no Prime Minister . My shift lasts 8 hours. Not my problem"

You are right a country is run like a Business but when some staff in that business are saving the lives of other staff in that business. You reward them accordingly. Not kick them in the teeth

Edit . Sorry that re read your post. You weren't flippant. Last line seems to suggest your concern .My apologies

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That's an absolutely flippant response to what was a legitimate question.

I don't say that there shouldn't be a charge. Personally I don't agree with the charge but these charges were in place when people made their employment application so they entered into this contract voluntarily.

However, what if those health workers. Let's say the little Portuguese lad and the New Zealand woman who supposedly saved Boris Johnsons life.

What if they said. "My shift is finishing now . Gotta go. Bye. I don't care if then next people due on next are off sick with Corona Virus. There are no friends in Business. Prime Minister or no Prime Minister . My shift lasts 8 hours. Not my problem"

You are right a country is run like a Business but when some staff in that business are saving the lives of other staff in that business. You reward them accordingly. Not kick them in the teeth

Edit . Sorry that re read your post. You weren't flippant. Last line seems to suggest your concern .My apologies

Inseed, Our hero's in the NHS come from so many countries and to even think of charging them is an obscenity. No need to apologise !

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's a good job Patel wasn't in charge during wartime when those Polish and Czech fighter pilots came over. "Thanks for your efforts in the RAF lads; here's the bill for the bullets you used."

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The low skilled workers referred to don't earn £30K a year (neither do some skilled health workers) so they won't be given permits under Ms Patel's Home Office rule.

Skilled migrant workers dont need to be earning £30,000 to get a permit under the points based system

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We shouldn't jump to conclusions though. We all back Britain and believe in Boris to get Covid-19 done and then focus on the important things like delivering the exact NHS people voted for and funding our Brexit means Brexit instead and taking back control of our laws, borders and money and signing great new free trade deals around the world with all the countries that are queuing up to do so etc, etc.

Boris appointed Priti because Boris knew that she was the best placed, best skilled and best qualified to be the finest Home Secretary this great nation has ever seen, as you rightly point out above. There's no 'may' about this. She IS.

Boris knows exactly what he's doing, just like Priti, so all this criticism is totally unfair.

Back Boris. Protect Priti. Stay at Home Office.

My apologies.

:)

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, he employed her because she is very right of centre and neo liberal.

It has little to do with her qualities to be Home Secretary. I can tell you from those in the inside she is ****ing useless.

Boris is very liberal in fact if he had it his way he would be negotiating the continuation of freedom of movement post Brexit.

Fortunately his lawyers managed to slam down the reports of his discussions he was having as foreign secretary on that subject with foreign ambassadors.

Those on the right wing neo liberal wing of the party know they haven't got anyone electable but Boris was very popular with the members. For Boris to win he had to fill his cabinet with them.

The government is a marriage of convenience.

If that wasn't the case Gove wouldn't be there.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I think [MENTION=34106]ManOfSussex[/MENTION] was being facetious.....

Apologies if you've whooshed me.:lolol:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Priti Patel has sparked anger by refusing to cut or axe the huge fees paid by foreign healthcare workers to help fund the NHS – just three weeks after promising to “review” the controversial charges.

It means the immigration health surcharge is still due to soar from £400 a year to £624 from this October – to be and extended to all EU citizens from next January, when Brexit is completed. Because it is also paid by spouses and children, the total cost can reach a crippling £8,000 for a family of four on a five-year work permit, or with limited leave to remain in the UK.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/priti-patel-nhs-fees-foreign-health-staff-immigration-surcharge-a9517356.html"]https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/priti-patel-nhs-fees-foreign-health-staff-immigration-surcharge-a9517356.html[/URL]

Well thanks for putting your lives on the line to protect us.

Maybe one of the regulars would like to step up to defend this ?

We need as many foreign nurses and doctors as we can get, I can’t stop clapping those workers we have from poorer countries than the U.K. That said I am sure we all agree we shouldn’t strip those countries bare of their health workers.

Back in the day when this country had an empire when we took poorer countries natural resources, it must be right in our more enlightened times we don’t take take their limited Human Resources by dangling NHS money. Otherwise it’s no wonder their compatriots would leave their countries to reach somewhere their doctors and nurses get to.

Of course, these days when we are sensitive about the affect of the virus on our communities it’s a tragic reality that our BAME health workers are some how more susceptible to the illness. I trust this isn’t a numbers game though otherwise the flip side of that view would be that we don’t have enough white people dying.

That wouldn’t sell many papers though......Merry Christmas.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
That women shouldn’t even be in government with the things she’s been caught doing.

Both Boris and Priti Patel were relieved from their respective parliamentary positions a couple of years ago, yet now leading the show? If alarm bells aren't ringing at this point then a lot of the sheeple aren't paying attention.

They are highly paid puppets for the the big corporations/deep state/Israel and couldn't give a shit about you. Wake up ffs!

Just do a google on Priti Patels previous work lobbying for tobacco industries. Or her secret meetings with Israeli officials without UK Parlimentry consent. This isn't some tin foil hat conspiracy, it's facts. Honestly blows my mind how taken in and manipulated people are by these scum bags.

Edit: Wasn't directed at you Justice :)

Last edited:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
That women shouldn’t even be in government with the things she’s been caught doing.

With the Bully-don Club prat at the helm you've got two peas in a pod unfortunately. The only thing in Johnson’s favour is that he possesses a modicum of self-awareness and can tone down the narcissism when required, unlike complete mentalist Patel.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With the Bully-don Club prat at the helm you've got two peas in a pod unfortunately. The only thing in Johnson’s favour is that he possesses a modicum of self-awareness and can tone down the narcissism when required, unlike complete mentalist Patel.

I just watched Gove on Andrew Marr. Now that man, Gove, is frightening. A zealot who would claim that while his shit is brown, it is less brown than it was a month ago, and all steps are being taken to make it less brown, and the experts predict that it will soon be less smelly. The alternative is that he never shits himself again and we can't have that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here