Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League Twitter Followers

Salty_Seagull

Quality over quantity
Jul 2, 2015
Brighton/Hove
I know a lot of people won't care about this sort of stuff but I found it interesting. I was wondering how much recognition Brighton are getting globally over the years (and specifically more recently) and thought of a measurable metric using number of Twitter followers to find out (having seem something similar in The Atheltic last year).

It wasn't that easy to find out historical follower numbers but a few articles have been published over the years.

Here are some snap shots of what I found:

By current league position
1674156748393.png

Sorted by total number of followers in January 2023
1674156791948.png

Sorted by total increase since November 2018 (*some teams used later dates due to lack of data in 2018)

1674156869000.png

Sorted by % increase since November 2018 (*some teams used later dates due to lack of data in 2018)
1674156917764.png

We're still a way off a lot of teams in terms of total number of followers but we having been rising rapidly! The fastest in fact by looking at the % increase since 2018 (73%, final image). We had a huuuge jump since May 2022, probably due to summer transfer window (Cucurella saga/BHAFC vs Fab Romano) and also due to the World Cup and Alexis smashing it (he also rose from 400k followers on Instagram pre-WC to 3.4m as of today!).

Us fans don't care about this sort of thing but I'm sure the club does, with these sort of metrics being used for getting better sponsorship deals. Will be interesting to see how much further we rise up if the unthinkable happens and we achieve Europe.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I wondered about this sort of stuff since we seemed to be getting more global interest in the club. Our Instagram has jumped from 593k to 777k followers since August 2022. Seemed a big jump in only 5 months. Probably all Argentina fans.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I wondered about this sort of stuff since we seemed to be getting more global interest in the club. Our Instagram has jumped from 593k to 777k followers since August 2022. Seemed a big jump in only 5 months. Probably all Argentina fans.
Lots of Japanese too

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I think the most relevant platform at the moment is Instagram. Those numbers would be interesting.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I know a lot of people won't care about this sort of stuff but I found it interesting. I was wondering how much recognition Brighton are getting globally over the years (and specifically more recently) and thought of a measurable metric using number of Twitter followers to find out (having seem something similar in The Atheltic last year).

It wasn't that easy to find out historical follower numbers but a few articles have been published over the years.

Here are some snap shots of what I found:

By current league position
View attachment 155976

Sorted by total number of followers in January 2023
View attachment 155977

Sorted by total increase since November 2018 (*some teams used later dates due to lack of data in 2018)

View attachment 155978

Sorted by % increase since November 2018 (*some teams used later dates due to lack of data in 2018)
View attachment 155979

We're still a way off a lot of teams in terms of total number of followers but we having been rising rapidly! The fastest in fact by looking at the % increase since 2018 (73%, final image). We had a huuuge jump since May 2022, probably due to summer transfer window (Cucurella saga/BHAFC vs Fab Romano) and also due to the World Cup and Alexis smashing it (he also rose from 400k followers on Instagram pre-WC to 3.4m as of today!).

Us fans don't care about this sort of thing but I'm sure the club does, with these sort of metrics being used for getting better sponsorship deals. Will be interesting to see how much further we rise up if the unthinkable happens and we achieve Europe.
Surely the increase can't all be down to our Pascal? :laugh:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I keep reading comments like this regarding Twitter, I’m an avid user of it and noticed zero difference other than a few features changes. What exactly is it that you believe is ‘dying’ ?
Agree about Facebook, shambles.
Twitter’s dying on its arse, and I find the official FB page by the club unreadable now due to reply after reply of complete shite often originating in Africa

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As welcome as it is, The clubs are more likely to be looking closely at the video views, and engagement numbers (likes, comments, shares) as a metric of success rather than the admittedly impressive follower numbers.

Also Re: TikTok - to illustrate the growth of the platform as @Bozza hinted at, the club have posted more TikToks in the last 6 weeks than the entire previous 18 months - when they joined the platform in middle of 2021. The biggest so far is Mitoma's goal from Everton - a very hefty 12.1m views

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Japanese DAZN twitter account posted Mitomas winner from the FA Cup game, the views were in the millions soon after the game.

Now a staggering 20m views.

Even more staggering given its geo-blocked outside Japan. (all the PL social rights for goals and highlights are location specific/broadcast specific).

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Even more staggering given its geo-blocked outside Japan. (all the PL social rights for goals and highlights are location specific/broadcast specific).
It had millions of views before they geo-restricted the content, watched it after the game searching for the Japanese commentary but yes, you're right of course. The Japanese reach is significant thanks to Mitoma.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As welcome as it is, The clubs are more likely to be looking closely at the video views, and engagement numbers (likes, comments, shares) as a metric of success rather than the admittedly impressive follower numbers.

Also Re: TikTok - to illustrate the growth of the platform as @Bozza hinted at, the club have posted more TikToks in the last 6 weeks than the entire previous 18 months - when they joined the platform in middle of 2021. The biggest so far is Mitoma's goal from Everton - a very hefty 12.1m views

878k -> 1.2m followers on TikTok in about two weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here