Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League signs new Sky Sports deal

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Please remove the 3pm blackout, it won't affect attendances, all lower division supporters will go to matchs because they support their club, they won't stay at home to watch TV.
Nothing stopping a trial for a couple of seasons and maybe some of the premier league money is set aside in a bond to cover any immediate provable loss to match day income for the lower leagues?

If it doesn’t work either redistribute funds or change it back

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sad thing is that most of the extra money will be spent on higher player wages (because they obviously need it) rather than reducing ticket prices or supporting lower league clubs. All a bit sick really.
Isn’t it less money than they are currently paying now?
Interestingly supporting EFL sides with PL cash wouldn’t advantage the likes of us currently in the PL. Why fund another club who ultimately wants our place in EPL.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Nothing stopping a trial for a couple of seasons and maybe some of the premier league money is set aside in a bond to cover any immediate provable loss to match day income for the lower leagues?

If it doesn’t work either redistribute funds or change it back
The famously altruistic Premier League setting aside money for the less fortunate?

Yep, that'll happen.

They definitely won't just spunk this new money on even more exorbitant wages and payouts to agents.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The famously altruistic Premier League setting aside money for the less fortunate?

Yep, that'll happen.

They definitely won't just spunk this new money on even more exorbitant wages and payouts to agents.
Meanwhile my kids can't play for weeks due to waterlogged pitches, facilities almost non-existent. Next door excellent Rugby pitches and clubhouse

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Meanwhile my kids can't play for weeks due to waterlogged pitches, facilities almost non-existent. Next door excellent Rugby pitches and clubhouse
It’s been a long time since the clubs voted to horde all the money for themselves (and ultimately funnel it out of the game to agents and players) instead of use it for the betterment of football in towns all over the country and for grass roots projects like you describe

Is football better for all this rapacious capitalism? Well the quality of football is better, because a middling club like us has managed to persuade one of the best players from Japan and Ivory Coast and Ecuador to play for us.

But is football better? That’s a different question.

I love watching our incredible team, but I admit to being uneasy about our part in this wealth hording, talent concentrating project. Just think of the good, a tiny fraction of this money could do

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Just waiting for a future game to kick off at 2am to take advantage of foreign markets. We're heading that way.

Could you imagine trying to get to the Amex in the middle of the night!
It's far more likely that 2pm/4pm on a Sunday becomes the new Saturday 3pm to accommodate the foreign (US) market.

The NFL is almost exclusively broadcast from Sunday afternoon until late and they won't want to try and compete with that market. The Premier League want to be the opener for a sporting Sunday across the US.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Isn’t it less money than they are currently paying now?
Interestingly supporting EFL sides with PL cash wouldn’t advantage the likes of us currently in the PL. Why fund another club who ultimately wants our place in EPL.
Take your point but in the same way I didn't want the albion to disappear into oblivion, I was sad for Bury fans when their club did. I'm not suggesting that prem TV money finances promotion campaigns but many clubs in the EFL and below count every penny to ensure survival and a few of the crumbs from the EPL table would make a massive difference to them

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It's far more likely that 2pm/4pm on a Sunday becomes the new Saturday 3pm to accommodate the foreign (US) market.

The NFL is almost exclusively broadcast from Sunday afternoon until late and they won't want to try and compete with that market. The Premier League want to be the opener for a sporting Sunday across the US.
If they can sort out a trio of meats / carvery in the concourse for our Sunday games I’m in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here