Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Powell gone

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What the f*** does the level of quality have to do with the amount of entertainment?
how else do you explain the difference in crowds between top and lower leagues? do people just want to pay more to see lower entertaining, better quality football? or do they equate quality with better entertainment?
accepting of course better quality does not always mean better entertainment as Italian and South American leagues show.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I feel you're violently agreeing with me in paragraphs one and two. In part, I'm stating what I've heard / read from others. The "girls need positive role models" is very much where I am. Promoting the game will grow interest which will improve the quality.

I'd temper that with the fact that you can lead a horse to water but not make it drink. Despite us watching the England games in the Euros in the summer and having a football mad dad and brother, my daughter couldn't give a shit about the game. At my son's old club they started a girls only team and got a Brighton player to come along to the first training session. After three weeks less than half had come back compared to the first day.
The benefit of the women's team winning the Euros will be in getting more of the youngest girls involved in playing from the start (and, probably more importantly, their parents interested in sending them to try football as a a sport as early as possible [Note: I'm not suggesting they are then forced to keep going]).

I'm involved with a kids football team currently. Started out when my 6 year old son was going. He decided he doesn't want to do football anymore, so he doesn't go now, but I'm still helping out the team. It's mostly boys, as you'd expect, but there's a few girls playing as well - and one of them is among the top 3 players in the group currently (a large enough group of U7 players that we put two teams out with 5 on the pitch and at least 1 sub per team). For the age group, she's got a very good defender's head on her shoulders and really gets stuck in.

What's needed, off the back of that Euros win, is encouraging girls into the sport at Under 6 age group and then doing what we can to keep them in the system as long as possible, bring them through the age groups.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
how else do you explain the difference in crowds between top and lower leagues? do people just want to pay more to see lower entertaining, better quality football? or do they equate quality with better entertainment?
accepting of course better quality does not always mean better entertainment as Italian and South American leagues show.
The same way I explain the difference in crowds going to McDonalds to eat the eyeballs of some antibiotic-fed Belgian Blue compared to those going to eat the burgers at Johnnie's Local Burger Shack where the cow tastes like as if it was treated like a king before getting strangled - with love - by Johnnie himself: marketing. McDonalds know how to make their food look and smell like Gods gifts to mankind while Johnnie doesn't have the tools, resources and skills to do it and used a picture of his hemorrhoidic arsehole as the logotype of his business. Does it make his burger worse than McDonalds? No. But the people will go to McDonalds. Then there's also the nature of the sport - the glory of winning the top league etc

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The benefit of the women's team winning the Euros will be in getting more of the youngest girls involved in playing from the start (and, probably more importantly, their parents interested in sending them to try football as a a sport as early as possible [Note: I'm not suggesting they are then forced to keep going]).

I'm involved with a kids football team currently. Started out when my 6 year old son was going. He decided he doesn't want to do football anymore, so he doesn't go now, but I'm still helping out the team. It's mostly boys, as you'd expect, but there's a few girls playing as well - and one of them is among the top 3 players in the group currently (a large enough group of U7 players that we put two teams out with 5 on the pitch and at least 1 sub per team). For the age group, she's got a very good defender's head on her shoulders and really gets stuck in.

What's needed, off the back of that Euros win, is encouraging girls into the sport at Under 6 age group and then doing what we can to keep them in the system as long as possible, bring them through the age groups.
When I was coaching my son's team we had a girl playing who was easily in the best five players and a really good defender. I can also remember doing a tournament at Waterhall and seeing Mile Oak play with a girl at the centre of their team who was the best player of anyone in every game she played and that hard she ran pretty much through boys her own age, sending one to the floor for a good few minutes.

All that was between U8 and U11 level though. Once puberty kicks in there are very few girls who can live with the boys physically, and it's at that point you need girls only teams for them to go to.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
When I was coaching my son's team we had a girl playing who was easily in the best five players and a really good defender. I can also remember doing a tournament at Waterhall and seeing Mile Oak play with a girl at the centre of their team who was the best player of anyone in every game she played and that hard she ran pretty much through boys her own age, sending one to the floor for a good few minutes.

All that was between U8 and U11 level though. Once puberty kicks in there are very few girls who can live with the boys physically, and it's at that point you need girls only teams for them to go to.
Which is why we need more girls coming into the system at 6-and-under who can then carry on and graduate from kids football to teens football and support those girls-only teams with enough players. The group I'm with is a year or two too old to have been influenced by the Euro's win (although might help influence them to stay in longer!). What we need to see is the U7 group that starts in 2 years time to be much closer to a 50-50 boys/girls split. The group I'm with is closer to 80/20.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here