Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Poverty just now

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Listen to Teresa from 12:26 to 12:32, the entire 6 minutes.

Crikey, vulnerable people in real need are struggling to stay warm, a most basic need. A disgusting state of affairs.

Whilst waiting for any government to stop this madness, are there charities that can provide direct assistance exactly with this, without creaming off money for high admin costs?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Crikey, vulnerable people in real need are struggling to stay warm, a most basic need. A disgusting state of affairs.

Whilst waiting for any government to stop this madness, are there charities that can provide direct assistance exactly with this, without creaming off money for high admin costs?
Unfortunately, this government sees food banks and charities as the solution to what they have caused.

Awful situation where the most vulnerable are at the mercy of those benefitting from the wealth distribution - we are heading back to the 1800's

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Global warming is the only thing preventing us putting the heating on at the moment. Still in shorts and T-shirts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Many churches and halls are opening up premises to provide 'warm rooms' where those who can't afford their heating bills can go to warm up.

I will say it is cheaper to heat the person rather than the room, so in the evening, I have a warm blanket and a hot water bottle on the settee to watch tv.
The heating is on a timer and a thermostat with thermostatic valves on every radiator.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unfortunately, this government sees food banks and charities as the solution to what they have caused.

Awful situation where the most vulnerable are at the mercy of those benefitting from the wealth distribution - we are heading back to the 1800's
It won't stop some folk dying this winter and next, but I suspect there'll be a clean sweep of government in Dec 2024.

This has to be THE priority for them, on day one.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It won't stop some folk dying this winter and next, but I suspect there'll be a clean sweep of government in Dec 2024.

This has to be THE priority, on day one, for them.
Starmer and co seem to be full of good intentions, but will they deliver or make the same mistakes as the Tories?

Worthing is an apparent affluent area in the South East but my daughter who volunteers at the local food bank says they've got over 15,000 local people using this service now, replicate that around the country but in the arguably 'poorer areas' and we've got a poverty epidemic, which in the 21st century is nothing short of disgusting.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This is undeniably a complete failure of governance by the present incumbents (who have been in power for 12 years). This is squarely on them and I’m afraid I have zero confidence that they’re even vaguely competent enough to deal with it.

However, it is also a failing of our wider electoral system. Putting in systems which will fix this issue takes time and money, and no Government is prepared to do this lest it be seen as unpopular, see them kicked out and let the other side in at the next election. It’s the same issue that dogs major infrastructure projects, serious reform of public services and the like.

During the post-war consensus type politics which ran from 1945 to 1979 this didn’t matter hugely as while both sides were different flavours, they still did the same basic things while in power. Now we live in more adversarial times with Governments more interested in distracting “wedge” issues than putting plans in place for long term benefits, this is only going to get worse.

Arguably the only times recently when it has appeared a Government is secure enough electorally to be able to actually do big ticket things were 1982-1988 (post-Falklands Thatcher through to the start of her downfall) and 1997 - 2005 (when Blair was conquering all before him).

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
It’s bad enough in NY with the haves and have nots . I never thought I would see such extremes in the UK & certainly not in the south east .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Starmer and co seem to be full of good intentions, but will they deliver or make the same mistakes as the Tories?

Worthing is an apparent affluent area in the South East but my daughter who volunteers at the local food bank says they've got over 15,000 local people using this service now, replicate that around the country but in the arguably 'poorer areas' and we've got a poverty epidemic, which in the 21st century is nothing short of disgusting.
This country has been built on delusions of grandeur for the past 100 years, falling in and out of recession.
As always a few people are wealthy on the back of many, this country really could do with a political party that is for the people, not just the elite that go through the private education system, that control both the main political parties at the moment.

We have failed the education, healthcare, housing and social systems so badly ever since the 1970s we have not invested enough.

shocking.

As for the opposition, yes intentions are great, but where will the money come from ?
We are in debt and on our knees right now, where will it come from.
The minute Labour declare they will quite rightly ask for more taxes from big business like BP etc, those companies will be off, leaving Britain like a sinking ship, only to return on sunnier days in the future.

A massive dilemma, for sure.

Last edited:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

It's a really funny thing Ian.
There weren't any food banks at all back when Labour were last around to do anything about it.
Now we have over 2,500. What a record
And we will still have people slagging off the Opposition. No idea what they will do - but anything will improve on this load of bastds

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I got the answer on a good charity to donate to, near the end of that R4 You & Yours, The Salvation Army got heaps of praise.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is undeniably a complete failure of governance by the present incumbents (who have been in power for 12 years). This is squarely on them and I’m afraid I have zero confidence that they’re even vaguely competent enough to deal with it.

However, it is also a failing of our wider electoral system. Putting in systems which will fix this issue takes time and money, and no Government is prepared to do this lest it be seen as unpopular, see them kicked out and let the other side in at the next election. It’s the same issue that dogs major infrastructure projects, serious reform of public services and the like.

During the post-war consensus type politics which ran from 1945 to 1979 this didn’t matter hugely as while both sides were different flavours, they still did the same basic things while in power. Now we live in more adversarial times with Governments more interested in distracting “wedge” issues than putting plans in place for long term benefits, this is only going to get worse.

Arguably the only times recently when it has appeared a Government is secure enough electorally to be able to actually do big ticket things were 1982-1988 (post-Falklands Thatcher through to the start of her downfall) and 1997 - 2005 (when Blair was conquering all before him).
The Tory Party has divested itself of any meaningful policies to help the population and the country, it now just clings to power at any cost. As a nation and as a society we are grinding to a halt and going back to the 1800's.

I fear our country is doomed already and climate change will just accelerate the fall. We desperately need a government of national unity and a dash for green energy and jobs.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

What a sad story - I was sent a link to this similar story the other day https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/...s-in-the-dark-at-home-because-of-rising-bills. All too common, unfortunately.

Theresa mentioned she uses a food bank in Bournemouth called Hope for Food https://www.hopeforfood.org.uk/

I've no idea if they cream off loads in admin costs (lack of slick website would suggest perhaps not), but it checks out as a registered charity and there are details on there of how to donate. I've sent them a little something with the reference MerryXmasTheresa :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I got the answer on a good charity to donate to, near the end of that R4 You & Yours, The Salvation Army got heaps of praise.
I'm not sure about the SA, about 15 years ago there was a charities commission audit that found something like 78% of their income goes to maintain the SA !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im not clear what the expected solution is. we have a welfare system, thats apparently not enough. we have additional grants and payments for people, thats not enough. there are problems with cost of housing, and now cost of energy pressing, not enough assistance there. when i look abroad i see no country immune to these issues, none have a solution. where is the fresh thinking coming from?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Meanwhile we pay £7K a month in benefits to sub-human scumbags with 7 kids and 36 dogs.

What a disgraceful shambles 12 years of Tory rule has done to our country.

Yeah - but it would have been worse under Corbyn. :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Tory Party has divested itself of any meaningful policies to help the population and the country, it now just clings to power at any cost. As a nation and as a society we are grinding to a halt and going back to the 1800's.

I fear our country is doomed already and climate change will just accelerate the fall. We desperately need a government of national unity and a dash for green energy and jobs.
I've experienced to know that the likely Starmer government will face a crescendo of criticism in the media (far, far more than the Mail and Express) and social media, much of it from backstabbers on the left who detest centre-left politics.

I hope he/they can maintain focus and expertly navigate the hand grenades thrown from within e.g. ministerial resignations from grand-standing idiots.

For once, poverty must truly be tackled as well as housing needs.

It won't be easy.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Time will tell.

The question is, will people vote for the party with 'good intentions', or give the Tory party (that has proven itself incapable of doing anything about it) another term to make it even worse?

I know what I'll be doing...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
im not clear what the expected solution is. we have a welfare system, thats apparently not enough. we have additional grants and payments for people, thats not enough. there are problems with cost of housing, and now cost of energy pressing, not enough assistance there. when i look abroad i see no country immune to these issues, none have a solution. where is the fresh thinking coming from?
More equal distribution of wealth appears to be the only completely unacceptable solution according to most parties in most countries.

With the only obvious solution deemed unacceptable or impossible, you're right that none has a solution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here