Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who do you want to become our new manager?

Who will become our next manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 102 15.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 161 24.5%
  • Rob Edwards

Votes: 38 5.8%
  • Vincent Kompany

Votes: 42 6.4%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Kjetil Knutsen

Votes: 53 8.1%
  • Liam Rosenior

Votes: 25 3.8%
  • Adam Lallana

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Gareth Southgate

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Sami Hyypia

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • Mark McGhee

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 166 25.3%

• Total voters

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
1.Chelsea were/are the problem.
2.Thought Potter was an idiot to go (it was NEVER going to end well)
3.Coaching teams leave with managers
4.In his third year, his team was just starting to click
5. Potter knows he made a mistake (see.2, Poyet)
6. If (IF) Tony reappoints him, he will have learnt and been chastened by his Chelsea experience
7. It is what Tony says it is

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the pragmatist in me says why not, give it a go, know what your getting, solid defense with nice football.

otoh 1 bad game and knifes will be out for him. scoring was a problem and continued at Chelsea iirc. would the dressing room accept him back, dont know how the manner of departure affected some senior players. it's higher risk than an untried manager at this level imo, because it could unravel very quickly.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
We had a huge transition under Potter, why wouldn’t it happen again? We were a team bound to be relegated last time he was appointed.

I think it would bring much needed stability to the club. He is a manager who has experience in the Premier League and at Brighton.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
My only worry is how quickly would he leave us again when things are going well and a top job comes up. It's like if your Mrs was super hot but she cheated on you, could you ever take her back and trust her again?

Otherwise I'm not entirely against it. Seems like a safe and sensible option.
Not sure I can agree with the analogy between someone taking a massive career move and your Mrs cheating on you.

I don't think this will happen as we've moved on technically since. Feels a bit like if we'd brought back Hughton when Potter left. Although I think as a modern coach Potter is no doubt more evolutionary in his approach.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
We had a huge transition under Potter, why wouldn’t it happen again? We were a team bound to be relegated last time he was appointed.

I think it would bring much needed stability to the club. He is a manager who has experience in the Premier League and at Brighton.
And the Champions League

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Other.

Just to add a fresh idea into the mix - One of my top choices would be American born, Fabian Hurzeler, as said on another thread. As a player, product of Bayern Munich youth academy and assistant manager of Germany’s U18 and U20. Has Pep, Areta and De Zerbi (largely) as his influences so already playing a similar system. Very young (31) like Farioli and just promoted St Pauli to Bundesliga . Seems to have found the ’Plan B’ to beating low blocks, conceding only 0.8 goals a game this season, as well as using long balls and focussing on defending set pieces, 4 areas we need to improve in. (We placed loan players with SP under Potter when Shultz was in charge and Hurzeler apparently visited Brighton in January to watch our match v Spurs for ’ideas’ so I would be very surprised if we have not been tracking him since he was assistant coach in 2020 and then took over in 2022.)

Renewed a contract in March that includes an exit clause and is attracting lots of attention in Germany so wouldn’t be cheap - also maybe too soon in his career for a mid-table EPL but then we are looking at McKenna apparently who a has similar level of experience.
Top spotting that!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can’t wait to be lectured by him on how we should learn our own history and he knows better than us about it

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Well, he probably wouldn't (a) be offered a top job after what happened at Chelsea, and (b) less likely to want to leave again.

To be honest this is one of the biggest things this appointment would have going for it. For the whole of the last 18 months to a year of Potter we had these rumours - when we were doing well there would be talk of him taking a big job, it would fade when we had a bad run only to come back in spades when we were hitting the heights by the end of his time. The same then happened with RDZ, within six months of his appointment he was being touted for big jobs and constantly throughout the last season. And exactly the same will happen with McKenna or any other young exciting manager we appoint, if they do well they will be touted and we will lose them within two and a half seasons.

I'm fed up of this. Yet look at Emery, he's deemed to have failed at a big club, so his name is never linked with a big job. We've got Maresca and Mckenna linked with Chelsea, Mckenna and Frank linked with United, RDZ linked to every club going, Kompany rocking up at Bayern. Yet Emery has taken Villa to 4th in the premier league, playing great football with a squad punching above its weight and nowhere near the income of the big clubs - but not being linked, presumably because he has failed, and presumably also because he's definitively told everyone he's not moving.

Then look at Eddie Howe, he was an exciting young manager in the lower leagues, did two years as coach at Bournemouth and then jumped up the leagues to Burnley. Didn't really work out there, went back to Bournemouth and managed them for another eight seasons, despite lots of speculation about him taking on other jobs. And completely changed that club for the better, probably for decades to come. After moving once he realised grass wasn't always greener.
You make a great point, particularly with Emery. I do however think you’re overlooking one very possible scenario - the England job. If he came back and did well then he remains very much the right type for the FA and would definitely be a leading candidate

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You make a great point, particularly with Emery. I do however think you’re overlooking one very possible scenario - the England job. If he came back and did well then he remains very much the right type for the FA and would definitely be a leading candidate
Yeah sure, it did cross my mind. But, its the England job. Every English manager should take it if offered. I can live with that.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Let’s not forget when he left we were flying high in 4th position as I remember. Things (scoring) were starting to click etc. I think he was learning to adapt more as learnt the squad and PL footy.

Much of that is still there so I would think less of the “lower” points of Potterball, and he would have seen how good we got at attacking after his departure, so hopefully would have learnt from that (esp things like how Solly developed).

I think we would be stronger defensively, which was a weaker point of RDZ, esp as other teams “figured his game out” and lack of plan B.

He certainly would not be my first choice ideally, but would be “proven” and knows the club so less of a shock to incumbent players etc., so should be able to hit the ground running.….

Anyway, in Bloom we trust, regardless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here