Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter In or Out

Potter in or Our?

• Total voters

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agreed . . .I don't remember arguing in the pub about Team Brady/Case/Dinner lady/Gritt in the 90's it was universally agreed most of us on the teraces were better players and better (or at least regularly) paid!, it was all about club survival. How times change.

Very much so. Never mind team Horton vs team Wood

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
That's an honest response and I understand why you are looking at what sits behind the games and seeing potential. I get that.

In response, from the other side of the fence, I feel that data is inaccurate. Our xG is higher - in the case of the Wolves game, higher than theirs - and yet we are not seeing results go our way, and this is the consistent picture over the past year.

I don't think TB is going to make a change now because I don't think TB thinks a change will change things at this stage of the season. I think that any manager TB might want would simply not move now. After all, who is going to move during the middle of this season while we are in the midst of a pandemic. The managers TB might want are probably already employed and are unlikely to up sticks. So support for GP from TB should not be seen as support for the results to date.

All the said and done, I desperately want GP to be a success. I think most of us in the OUT camp would say the same. We're not anti-GP but aware of his short comings and concerned that he will take us down.

Personally, I don't think GP alone is to blame. He needs a striker and the board should have acted on this sooner. It's a mistake and knowing this board they'll admit it privately but never publicly. They are a tad too proud.

Perhaps Zeqiri is the answer, or one of our other signings that we sent out on loan, but again that was a mistake.

TB and the management team have done a brilliant job over the past few years and they have our full support. Even a brilliant team make strategic errors. We've made one.

If GP gets his striker we might stay up, but that won't explain away some of the naive selections and tactical set ups GP has made.

Let's hope that in a year's time you are right and we're in the top half of the Premier League. I hope so.

I’m fairly certain that should the worst comes to the worst and we go down, there’d be an inquest for sure. I don’t think Tony is the kinda guy to back someone up just because he’s a nice bloke and he works well with him.

There’ll detailed analysis of games, stats, trends, player development, projections and so on. If Tony still sees a lot of potential in these things Potter will be kept on.

Guys, you lot in Potter out. We have an amazing, unbelievable owner. We are so blessed. Really. Firstly he thinks outside the box. He doesn’t buckle to any knee jerk opinions, he’s pretty bloody sharp at analysing data.. and best of all, he’s an Albion fan. He’s literally one of us.

You surely have to trust the guy. Potter has started rebuilding this club from top to bottom and improved it so many areas already. He’s undoubtedly shown real coaching credentials and he’s not afraid to play young players.

If Tony backs him, I’m more than happy to trust our owner. Why aren’t you?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
From what I have heard Potter has lost the dressing room. Thats pretty hard to come back from.

I have a friend who works for a current first team player, never really says much but having a drink over Christmas he did tell me that the feeling was if the manager changed, what would be different without major changing of personnel in the squad, which was unlikely. Slightly telling I thought

Potter’s job not at risk as Bloom and Brighton play the long game https://theathletic.com/2297392/2021/01/04/potter-future-brighton/?source=user_shared_article

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Underestimate Big Sam at your Peril.

His feet are hardly under the table yet - Wait till he gets into the Transfer Market and then judge the guy.

. Three or four additions to his Squad could change things massively for him so people gleefully rubbing their hands might be a bit premature. He doesn't have a magic Wand to go in there and make bang average players better players but what he can do is bring in better players and by doing so could create a totally different proposition when it comes to their Relegation Fight.

They aint cut adrift just yet so I wouldn't be writing them off just yet. If it was Graham Potter going in their you would be claiming that he needs a bit of time to get some players in to give himself a fighting chance.

Sam's methods work - He just needs the Personnel to make them work, which he doesn't have just yet.

14 May 2016: “We have this massive problem of producing our own players in this country … it’s probably why we should vote out of the EU! If we can vote out then we won’t have to take Uefa law because that is crap” – Sam Allardyce, then Sunderland manager.

4 January 2021: ”I have found three players already who were capable of coming here and they’re not allowed. It’s a shame. It’s not so much the pandemic, it’s the change of rules because of Brexit” – Allardyce struggles to find foreign imports for West Brom.

(Apols - may be fixtures, just re-reading the posts above)

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
Interesting to watch Southampton tonight. A year ago their home form was like ours and they even lost 0-9 at home. Most of their fans wanted the manager gone. It is not always the answer to sack the manager.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I don't think TB is going to make a change now because I don't think TB thinks a change will change things at this stage of the season. I think that any manager TB might want would simply not move now. After all, who is going to move during the middle of this season while we are in the midst of a pandemic. The managers TB might want are probably already employed and are unlikely to up sticks. So support for GP from TB should not be seen as support for the results to date.

This is the crux of it for me. I am very much on the fence of 'Potter out'. I appreciate that he is part of a longer term picture and that he is improving our playing style and bringing through some younger players. But our football isn't as good as some are making out and the lack of home wins is pathetic.

However, realistically, in our current position, we aren't going to be able to attract a quality manager as a replacement.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
I'm a Potter in at the moment because he has created a side that outside of two boxes is superb. I think it fair to tell him though that he will lose his job unless he sorts out the weakness in defending set pieces and also puts his forwards on shooting practice. In for another 5 games but then under review because the problems need to be addressed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is the crux of it for me. I am very much on the fence of 'Potter out'. I appreciate that he is part of a longer term picture and that he is improving our playing style and bringing through some younger players. But our football isn't as good as some are making out and the lack of home wins is pathetic.

However, realistically, in our current position, we aren't going to be able to attract a quality manager as a replacement.

Our style of play under GP is infinitely more palatable than that under CH. What we need is to convert more chances, either our existing strike force become more confident and take them or we try and bring someone in. Under GP I would suggest that we are fine margins from climbing the table. Under CH we were only ever really looking for a pt per game.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
14 May 2016: “We have this massive problem of producing our own players in this country … it’s probably why we should vote out of the EU! If we can vote out then we won’t have to take Uefa law because that is crap” – Sam Allardyce, then Sunderland manager.

4 January 2021: ”I have found three players already who were capable of coming here and they’re not allowed. It’s a shame. It’s not so much the pandemic, it’s the change of rules because of Brexit” – Allardyce struggles to find foreign imports for West Brom.

(Apols - may be fixtures, just re-reading the posts above)

I didn't say he was a lovely bloke - I just said his methods work

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Our style of play under GP is infinitely more palatable than that under CH. What we need is to convert more chances, either our existing strike force become more confident and take them or we try and bring someone in. Under GP I would suggest that we are fine margins from climbing the table. Under CH we were only ever really looking for a pt per game.
Five goals scored in three games and we still haven’t won :shrug:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'm a Potter in at the moment because he has created a side that outside of two boxes is superb. I think it fair to tell him though that he will lose his job unless he sorts out the weakness in defending set pieces and also puts his forwards on shooting practice. In for another 5 games but then under review because the problems need to be addressed.

Bloody Hell....another 5 games....Man C ( a )....Leeds ( a )....Fulham ( h )....Tottenham ( h )....Liverpool ( a ).....how many points do you expect him to get from that lot? He will do well to get 4 in total. Three extremely likely defeats. One tough away game at Leeds and the ' game of the season ' v Fulham, with all the pressure that brings.
After these games....Burnley ( a )...Villa ( h )...Palace ( h )....WBA ( a )...six points a must......so I am saying 10 points from the next 9 games. After that, there are 12 games left, including Leics, Saints, Man U, Everton, Chelsea and we finish with Man C and Arsenal.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

I agree that the style of play is fine. What is clearly the problem is our struggle in playing it at the right tempo. It drops away too often and simply becomes a rather tedious, possession based exhibition, played in front of the opposition, who sit back, regroup and eventually wait for us to give it away. Very little is created as the ball keeps going sideways, occasionally forward, then quickly backwards again.
The players feel comfortable when it is slower, as they feel in control. The opposition are sitting off them and they can knock it around with less pressure. The trouble is, it doesn't get us anywhere. Against Arsenal, both sides played the first half at too slow a tempo. The game was crying out for us to raise the level at the start of the second half but we didn't and we allowed Arsenal to dictate. Against Wolves, we started brightly but let the tempo drop mid-half and paid the penalty. In the second half, we looked a different team. Right pace, right tempo, getting the ball forward quickly, unsettling the opposition.
There is no question that Lamptey helps with the tempo. He gets the ball forward really quickly and lifts the whole side. We seem to be carried by him and we miss him when he is not there. The same used to apply to the forgotten man...Izquierdo....who did the same job for CH...upping the tempo, relieving the pressure. We have to reach these levels more often. Potter has to find ways and players to keep raising the tempo. We can't allow ourselves to keep slipping back into spells of turgid, possession based stuff, creating little and ultimately playing into the hands of the opposition.
The quicker we play, the better we become.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I agree that the style of play is fine. What is clearly the problem is our struggle in playing it at the right tempo. It drops away too often and simply becomes a rather tedious, possession based exhibition, played in front of the opposition, who sit back, regroup and eventually wait for us to give it away. Very little is created as the ball keeps going sideways, occasionally forward, then quickly backwards again.
The players feel comfortable when it is slower, as they feel in control. The opposition are sitting off them and they can knock it around with less pressure. The trouble is, it doesn't get us anywhere. Against Arsenal, both sides played the first half at too slow a tempo. The game was crying out for us to raise the level at the start of the second half but we didn't and we allowed Arsenal to dictate. Against Wolves, we started brightly but let the tempo drop mid-half and paid the penalty. In the second half, we looked a different team. Right pace, right tempo, getting the ball forward quickly, unsettling the opposition.
There is no question that Lamptey helps with the tempo. He gets the ball forward really quickly and lifts the whole side. We seem to be carried by him and we miss him when he is not there. The same used to apply to the forgotten man...Izquierdo....who did the same job for CH...upping the tempo, relieving the pressure. We have to reach these levels more often. Potter has to find ways and players to keep raising the tempo. We can't allow ourselves to keep slipping back into spells of turgid, possession based stuff, creating little and ultimately playing into the hands of the opposition.
The quicker we play, the better we become.

Excellent post, sums it up perfectly...

Well said Mo.

As I thought all along when we failed to sign just anyone in the last window, the plan was to hold out until we could bring in Percy and Andone is fit again. Which seems was the plan and I am confident Percy will deliver exactly what we need along with Lampty a sense of urgency and pressure. The forwards as a result can thrive on more forward driven urgency which will give them the confidence to make more forward runs into the box more often.

Onwards and upwards Thee Albion

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Bloody Hell....another 5 games....Man C ( a )....Leeds ( a )....Fulham ( h )....Tottenham ( h )....Liverpool ( a ).....how many points do you expect him to get from that lot? He will do well to get 4 in total. Three extremely likely defeats. One tough away game at Leeds and the ' game of the season ' v Fulham, with all the pressure that brings.
After these games....Burnley ( a )...Villa ( h )...Palace ( h )....WBA ( a )...six points a must......so I am saying 10 points from the next 9 games. After that, there are 12 games left, including Leics, Saints, Man U, Everton, Chelsea and we finish with Man C and Arsenal.

It is more that there is evidence that he is addressing the failure to defend set pieces (13 from 17 is shooting ourselves in the foot) and evidence that the strikers have been working on their shooting morning, noon and night is what I would be looking for. But ultimately, the club, players, manager and fans have to deal with what is in front of us. I'm a Potter in, but with firm words about the failings in both boxes. If he doesn't sort them out immediately, then he will be gone. That will be a great shame, because his midfield is superb.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Fence.

Even though I did vote 'in' originally, if we can't beat #teamslikearsenal to go second in the League, how on earth are we going to qualify for the Champions League.?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
In

And thankfully we have got back to playing 'the Brighton way'.

All the success and excitement was starting to wear a little thin.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Out.

I preferred it when we were in League 1 and we were treated like fans and not customers.

And take Barber with you!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here