Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A wonderful piece of writing about Graham Potter at Chelsea by Barney Ronay in the Guardian.

"I always wanted Potter to do well because he had shown such promise. Now I want to be his friend. I want to go for a walk with him around the historic churchyards of Sussex where he says things like, it’d be rude not to when you suggest stopping for flapjacks in the abbey garden. I want him to help me move house, turning up unannounced and knowing how to work the boiler, then leaving just as promptly to put in an hour at the hedgehog sanctuary."

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ter-chelsea-todd-boehly-european-super-league

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Our ex-manager swore and it's top of the board all afternoon. Find that a bit sadder than the f-bomb tbh.

Should be long forgotten by now given how well things are going for us. Very much straying into obsession territory for more people than just Swansman.
Yet you are opening and posting on the Potter/Chelsea thread to tell others they should move on 🤔

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A wonderful piece of writing about Graham Potter at Chelsea by Barney Ronay in the Guardian.

"I always wanted Potter to do well because he had shown such promise. Now I want to be his friend. I want to go for a walk with him around the historic churchyards of Sussex where he says things like, it’d be rude not to when you suggest stopping for flapjacks in the abbey garden. I want him to help me move house, turning up unannounced and knowing how to work the boiler, then leaving just as promptly to put in an hour at the hedgehog sanctuary."

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ter-chelsea-todd-boehly-european-super-league
And a wonderful cartoon to go with it! :lolol:
Screenshot_20230318_083101_Chrome.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Agreed, although I am still pissed at the way he left, I have gotten over my desire to see him f*** up and instead hope he does ok. We wouldn't be in the position we are without him and in hindsight he left at a perfect time for us.
Probably more 'he wouldn't be in the position he is without us'. And I liked Potter, but Bloom could easily have lost patience in one of Potter's many underachieving spells, and then he'd have blotted his copybook and probably managed a decent championship side again with no chance of a big 6 club.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014

Barney Ronay really is wonderful isn't he.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Probably more 'he wouldn't be in the position he is without us'.
I think we were both well suited. In TB he had an owner who looks at the longer game and could see the benefit in being patient, which got him noticed, and we had a manager who transformed the squad and the way we play. He left a very stable platform that allowed RDZ to do what he has done very quickly. Other than the feeling of betrayal in how he dumped us, from a pragmatic point of view what a bloody brilliant course of events.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I want him to do well, but this season I feel like finishing below Chelsea ruins our chances of European football!

I want him to do well, but this season I feel like finishing below Chelsea ruins our chances of European football!
I don't have any interest in him whatsoever neither doing well or doing badly. All I care about is how we're doing and Roberto De Zerbi. We've moved up a level and have a coach who is very passionate albeit at times, possibly too passionate?(red/yellow cards)🤣. Chelsea will finish above us possibly this season almost certainly next season with or without Potter in charge.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Potter took nearly three seasons to start achieving a significant improvement in results. The press only chose to look at the last 15-16 games of his career with us, describing his whole tenure as fantastic and what a great job he had done. A win percentage of 31% doesn't suggest this. He was wildly inconsistent. One minute looking like world beaters, next minute didn't know where and when the next point or goal was coming from. He stabilised the side, improved the style of play but didn't have the dynamism to push on a la RDZ.
He has created his own persona of being a youngish, thoughtful and inventive manager. The press bought into this and made him a media darling. He courted them and they lapped it up. They are still lapping it up. He is fiercely ambitious and project Potter was set in place some time ago.
How good is he? Time will tell. I don't see him as a multiple trophy winner. Good manager but not elite.
RDZ is all about risk and reward. More wins. More defeats. Less draws. Lets try and win but accept the risk of losing. Potter is more cautious and this spreads through his teams and results in barren periods of goalscoring. We have moved to another level and it is all for the better.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Two things that will always irritate me about the Potter to Chelsea saga...
1. Although we knew he would go eventually, he went as soon as the first bigger opportunity came; It was ill timed, he filleted our club of established, highly regarded coaches and in spite of his open letter of thanks he was generally quite graceless, telling another audience that if had 'wanted an easy life' he would have stayed with us.
2. Any club but Chelsea would have been more acceptable....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
1. Although we knew he would go eventually, he went as soon as the first bigger opportunity came; It was ill timed, he filleted our club of established, highly regarded coaches and in spite of his open letter of thanks he was generally quite graceless, telling another audience that if had 'wanted an easy life' he would have stayed with us.
This neatly summises how I feel. So reflecting that, it's not outright dislike from me, more annoyance and disdain at him. And like.most same people, I always hated Chelsea at the best of times anyway. Far more than any other big club.

Not forgetting the 'history lesson' comment after a few frustrated boos against Leeds (the very same this season against Nottingham Forest) also, with Roberto.. constant 'we are what we are' analysis in terms of being only Brighton. Compare now to RDS believing we can compete for Europe and anything is possible with current crop of players.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potter took nearly three seasons to start achieving a significant improvement in results. The press only chose to look at the last 15-16 games of his career with us, describing his whole tenure as fantastic and what a great job he had done. A win percentage of 31% doesn't suggest this. He was wildly inconsistent. One minute looking like world beaters, next minute didn't know where and when the next point or goal was coming from. He stabilised the side, improved the style of play but didn't have the dynamism to push on a la RDZ.
He has created his own persona of being a youngish, thoughtful and inventive manager. The press bought into this and made him a media darling. He courted them and they lapped it up. They are still lapping it up. He is fiercely ambitious and project Potter was set in place some time ago.
How good is he? Time will tell. I don't see him as a multiple trophy winner. Good manager but not elite.
RDZ is all about risk and reward. More wins. More defeats. Less draws. Lets try and win but accept the risk of losing. Potter is more cautious and this spreads through his teams and results in barren periods of goalscoring. We have moved to another level and it is all for the better.
Some people - not a lot to be fair - in the press actually know quite a bit of football and had the ability to look beyond the results. Of course today people are saying "why didn't Graham Potters team in the first season do as well as Roberto De Zerbis team in the first season?", which is obviously part of the narrative since everyone understands that the squad in 2019/20 was nowhere near a top 10 side while the current squad is. The completely ridicilous afterthought that Potter was the reason Brighton didn't score a bunch of goals is just silly. If people actually think this is the case, the club should just sell Mitoma, Welbeck, Ferguson, Pervis, Veltman, Alexis, Caicedo etc for good money and then replace them with Maupay, Connolly, Jahanbakhsh, Burn, Montoya, Stephens and Pröpper, who would all (maybe except for Burn) be very cheap and apparently capable of making the team score 60 goals in the Premier League.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Some people - not a lot to be fair - in the press actually know quite a bit of football and had the ability to look beyond the results. Of course today people are saying "why didn't Graham Potters team in the first season do as well as Roberto De Zerbis team in the first season?", which is obviously part of the narrative since everyone understands that the squad in 2019/20 was nowhere near a top 10 side while the current squad is. The completely ridicilous afterthought that Potter was the reason Brighton didn't score a bunch of goals is just silly. If people actually think this is the case, the club should just sell Mitoma, Welbeck, Ferguson, Pervis, Veltman, Alexis, Caicedo etc for good money and then replace them with Maupay, Connolly, Jahanbakhsh, Burn, Montoya, Stephens and Pröpper, who would all (maybe except for Burn) be very cheap and apparently capable of making the team score 60 goals in the Premier League.
Before covid the team wasn’t playing well and it was all going down hill rather rapidly, the drop looked likely at that point. We ended up with two more points I think than CH managed in his first season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here