Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Interesting article

Funny article more like.

‘Emotional intelligence’ is what swayed him… yeah right, as well as the wage packet Arsenal were offering allegedly being doubled, yeah NOTHING to do with that, emotional intelligence :lolol:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Interesting article

I am not doubting the veracity of this story* but I would note that if Chelsea want to keep faith in Potter, as I am sure they do, then they need to find ways to take some pressure off him and make fans like him more. This story will help. However, it did come from Fabrizio Romano, who would obviously never, ever, write a story 'leaked' to him from a big club. So I am probably being too cynical.

* I am doubting it.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Emotional intelligence. Love how the media are jumping on that. Emotional intelligence my arse. It's more like Artificial Intelligence. It's forced and scripted. Honestly wtf? Emotional intelligence is about processing your emotions and the emotions of others in a healthy and positive way. It's not just being pragmatic. It's not being stoic and withdrawn. There's no indication that he has any superior level of emotional intelligence, but because he's done some random course in it suddenly he is King EI. Big Sam has emotional intelligence. CH has emotional intelligence. Managers have to have emotional intelligence. Otherwise they'd have a break down. It's just nonsense. And he is the one looking like he's been dragged through a bush and losing his temper in press conferences. I mean the guys a good coach but he's not a guru.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I refuse to jump on the Potter is basically a bit shit bandwagon, and look to diss him at every opportunity, because he’s not, and he did a fantastic job here imo.

I am even happier with De Zerbi so far but he has Potter to thank for the foundations and he hasn’t been here long enough to hail him as the new Messiah

Potter will do well to come out of his Chelsea experience unscathed I reckon. Chelsea have gone upmarket Nottingham Forest in their hoovering up of players. Any manager would struggle with what’s going on there and I am not convinced he is a strong enough character to cope with it long term, assuming they don’t panic and replace him with a “big” name. Which is likely as things stand.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Swansman has a point here. Sweden, Denmark and Italy all have big hooligan elements in the bigger clubs. Brøndby in Denmark are notorious - the Leeds/Cardiff of the 70’s comparatively.

The problem is nothing is done about it, so you get 200 pissed/coked up angry racist Brøndby fans going to places like Horsens - who have no beef with anyone - and smashing up cafes and bars for no reason.

It sounds ridiculous, but both Sweden and Denmark teams do have some very nasty ultras actually
Ultras and hooligans are somewhat different things.

Ultras = football fans that engage a lot in tifos, banners, loud singing and so forth
Hooligans = people who fight and vandalise
They do indeed overlap sometimes but if we take the bigger clubs in Sweden, they have perhaps 10 000 ultras and maybe 200 hooligans

Ultras

Hooligans

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Ultras and hooligans are somewhat different things.

Ultras = football fans that engage a lot in tifos, banners, loud singing and so forth
Hooligans = people who fight and vandalise
They do indeed overlap sometimes but if we take the bigger clubs in Sweden, they have perhaps 10 000 ultras and maybe 200 hooligans

Ultras

Hooligans

I’m surprised you know so much about this as, to my knowledge, you’ve never actually been to a live football match. I was a season ticket holder at Odense BK and used to witness hooligan behaviour, by the ultras. You see how it works?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m surprised you know so much about this as, to my knowledge, you’ve never actually been to a live football match. I was a season ticket holder at Odense BK and used to witness hooligan behaviour, by the ultras. You see how it works?
No one on here has been involved in a football transfer or even played the game professionally but it doesn’t stop people writing about both subjects all day on here 😂

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
To my knowledge pretty much no one here has ever been to a game, aside from very few cases of photographic evidence. :shrug: I just assume most people go to games sometimes without actually having any proof of it.
There are hooligans among ultras but not all ultras are hooligans = they are different things.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Emotional intelligence. Love how the media are jumping on that. Emotional intelligence my arse. It's more like Artificial Intelligence. It's forced and scripted. Honestly wtf? Emotional intelligence is about processing your emotions and the emotions of others in a healthy and positive way. It's not just being pragmatic. It's not being stoic and withdrawn. There's no indication that he has any superior level of emotional intelligence, but because he's done some random course in it suddenly he is King EI. Big Sam has emotional intelligence. CH has emotional intelligence. Managers have to have emotional intelligence. Otherwise they'd have a break down. It's just nonsense. And he is the one looking like he's been dragged through a bush and losing his temper in press conferences. I mean the guys a good coach but he's not a guru.
100% agree. He’s studied it, he doesn’t necessarily have it in spades…..

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
not sure if this is the right thread but with so many people comparing potter with de zerbi i found the following

de zerbi first 15 games:

won 7
drawn 3
lost 5
goals for 32
goals against 22

potters last 15 games:

won 10
drawn 3
lost 2
goals for 30
goals against 10

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
not sure if this is the right thread but with so many people comparing potter with de zerbi i found the following

de zerbi first 15 games:

won 7
drawn 3
lost 5
goals for 32
goals against 22

potters last 15 games:

won 10
drawn 3
lost 2
goals for 30
goals against 10
That’s quite interesting, more interesting still would be Potters first 15 games compared to De Zerbi.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
T

de zerbi first 15 games:

won 7
drawn 3
lost 5
goals for 32
goals against 22

potters last 15 games:

won 10
drawn 3
lost 2
goals for 30
goals against 10
Your point?

Not a fair comparison. Nor is comparing Potters first 15 to RDZs first 15 games.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Swansman has a point here. Sweden, Denmark and Italy all have big hooligan elements in the bigger clubs. Brøndby in Denmark are notorious - the Leeds/Cardiff of the 70’s comparatively.

The problem is nothing is done about it, so you get 200 pissed/coked up angry racist Brøndby fans going to places like Horsens - who have no beef with anyone - and smashing up cafes and bars for no reason.

It sounds ridiculous, but both Sweden and Denmark teams do have some very nasty ultras actually
I agree. I lived in Copenhagen for a while quite a few years ago and was pretty shocked tbh.

Also I went to a few games in Poland we with some Polish mates and was surprised at the Ultras there too. Prior to that I'd bought the English media BS that it was just our fans.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I agree. I lived in Copenhagen for a while quite a few years ago and was pretty shocked tbh.

Also I went to a few games in Poland we with some Polish mates and was surprised at the Ultras there too. Prior to that I'd bought the English media BS that it was just our fans.
PL is a paradise compared to much of Europe, where open racism and crowd/police violence is commonplace. We have the best league in the world. German football is safe too.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
More interesting in what way? There's three players left from Potters first 15 games, its an entirely different team.
Interesting in so much as it’s comparing how Potter got on in a new club environment and players he’d not met or worked with before with De Zerbi’s first 15 games in the same situation (albeit in a new country where he speaks little of the language)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting in so much as it’s comparing how Potter got on in a new club environment and players he’d not met or worked with before with De Zerbi’s first 15 games in the same situation (albeit in a new country where he speaks little of the language)
Its not the same situation. GP took over a team that finished 16th, RDZ one that finished 9th - it would be very odd if the first 15 games didn't have different outcomes.
Mind you, the "GPs last 15 vs RDZs first 15" is not a fair comparison either for the reasons you mention, though the numbers can be used to kill off some entirely mythical things such as the hallucinatory idea that GP couldn't get the current set of boys to put the ball in the net.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Its not the same situation. GP took over a team that finished 16th, RDZ one that finished 9th - it would be very odd if the first 15 games didn't have different outcomes.
Mind you, the "GPs last 15 vs RDZs first 15" is not a fair comparison either for the reasons you mention, though the numbers can be used to kill off some entirely mythical things such as the hallucinatory idea that GP couldn't get the current set of boys to put the ball in the net.
Nobody is saying we weren’t playing the best we ever have under Potter - maybe ever. That’s the very reason Chelsea wanted him, they’d hardly want a failing manager.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Well it’s interesting to me to compare those stats.

How about this stat. Potter has a win rate of 45% with a team that finished 3rd in the PL the previous season compared to De Zerbi’s 46.2% win rate with a team that finished 9th. That’s quite interesting too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here