Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Possible Subsidence Issues

el punal

I need some advice or information regarding the following. We had a patio area built using Yorkstone pavers next to our house twenty years ago. It was done professionally by a reputable builder. Over the last couple of years the level of the pavers has become uneven with some slabs sinking or rising from their original position.
Should this be a problem of concern, as in serious subsidence that could affect the structure of the house, or, a minor fault where the paving level is altered from age?

Look forward to your responses. :thumbsup:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
If its a few mm to a cm or two, then I would suggest its just age (settlement, some removal of the cement/sand base by water). If they look like Shane McGowans teeth, I reckon you have a more serious situation!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
any drains/soakaways under or near?

most likelty just settlement, possibly caused by water under?

nothing to be concerned about :rolleyes: clermont-florida-sinkhole.jpeg.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if there's no sign of cracks in the house brickwork/rendering over 20 yrs, i wouldnt concern too much about some paving gone wonky.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Soil type would be a big thing to consider in this. With clay, you get heave and shrinkage that can play havoc with paths and patios but won't necessarily impact foundations of a house.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Your house is fine.
Patio sounds like the sub- base was insufficient, or no membrane was underneath in which case the base can migrate into the soil beneath

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
If its a few mm to a cm or two, then I would suggest its just age (settlement, some removal of the cement/sand base by water). If they look like Shane McGowans teeth, I reckon you have a more serious situation!

Shane McGowan has beautiful teeth now. If they can be fixed, the OP shouldn't have any trouble.

You can Google the images, but his original nashers may be NSFW.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here