Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pompey Clowns

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pompey Clowns sounds like the name of a really shit football hooligan fillm. Probably starring and directed by Danny Dyer. Current Danny Dyer. Not Danny Dyer when he was somewhat tolerable.
Was then when he was in Baghdad, or.....?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Don't forget the Gaydamaks. Long history of inferred gun running in Angola and wanted by the French. Although Arcadi was never officially involved in Pompey as his son was listed as owner, it was often assumed he was. This is a man of Russian birth and 9 passports of 9 different countries.
And then of course, there is the financial wasteland often left in the aftermath of El Tel 🙂
In 97/98 the weeks I didn‘t make it up to the Garden of England, I did some work for what was then the Hampshire Latest Magazine, ended up down at Fratton a couple of times and it was clear El Tel was having at least some but not necessarily everyone’s trousers down.

Interviewed an Aussie footballer, Hamilton Thorp, lovely aborigine lad, who Terry had signed for an undisclosed fee from his contacts Down Under, bear in mind this was Championship level, I was a tad surprised as were a few at the club that Hamilton, by his own admission, had only been playing football for under two years!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You’ve got to have a chuckle over dear, old Pompey. When they got relegated to League One back in 2012(?) they have since become the perennial favourites to get promoted - ‘big club, old school, we shouldn’t be in this division’ sort of shit. Well they are stuck there, and as each season goes by it seems to be more difficult for them to escape the clutches of being a lower league side. I suppose they could welcome some dubious sheik to bail them out - but I believe that little venture has already run its course. :drink:
I was involved about 10 to 12 years ago with recruitment to a new job in Portsmouth for the organisation I worked for. During a break and talking about football it came out that I was Brighton rather than their hated Southampton. the main local contact laughed dismissively and said: “and he calls that a football team!”

we were certainly higher than them in the leagues at the time! Poor deluded Mick!:LOL::bloom:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep, I remember that game. Think we then had to beat already promoted Ipswich away on the last day to stay up. Which we didn't.
I was at that game at Ipswich, dressed as Zorro. They confiscated my plastic sword at the turnstile. Had to find a sodding Woolies to buy a replacement before I took the costume back.

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In the spirit of this thread, when I occasionally remember them and cast my eyes way, way, waaaayyyy down the classifieds, I too have been revelling in the plight of that tragic club, still floundering around in the noddy leagues. Like Diane Abbot trying to haul herself out of a fetid fly-infested swamp using greased-up vines and threadbare ropes, they can only get so far before slumping back uselessly into the stinking cloying morass of their lower-league existence, doomed to flail around again in their own FILTH for yet another season in abject obscurity.

Its lovely. Checking on them is like finding a forgotten fiver in a coat pocket. Always gives you that little boost.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Yep, I remember that game. Think we then had to beat already promoted Ipswich away on the last day to stay up. Which we didn't.
I got nicked outside a pub Portman Road dressed as Elvis in his Vegas years, thankfully it never got to court as my response when the said arrest had taken place was “ You can’t nick me, I’m the King of Rock N Roll”, which might not have appealed to the sense of humour of the magistrates. 🙈

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here