Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Police seize the UK’s 2 millionth uninsured vehicle

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed. A bicycle running a red light is just the same as a car....

I cross the road to walk the dog at the OSR / Hangleton Road / Carlton Terrace interchange 4 times per day - pretty much every single full cycle of the lights a vehicle jumps a light. That is just the 4 waits I have at that junction. Every day. No one loses their shit.

Already the posts on here are the same attitude many Americans have toward guns. It's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people. As Eddie Izzard exclaimed in response 'the gun surely helps'...

The comment I included is a glib jab at those replies, getting the defense in early if you like.
[MENTION=13905]Seasidesage[/MENTION] is probably right to call me out on it as it isn't in the spirit of the discussion.
But that said, it's rather telling that if I hadn't included that jibe then someone would have to do it eventually.

On Twitter I follow a fair few with accounts pushing cycling culture and town planning.
The All Party Commons Cycling and Walking group are forever posting the cost of car culture and it's frightening what's out there on our roads.

That's before taking into account the rest of us law abiding drivers who can easily maim or kill from a genuine accident.

Yet the moment a scheme it bought in to redress the balance the objections are deafening.
We all need to wake up to this.

Not praise the 2,000,000 cars off the road but question the 'illegal' accident every 20 bloody minutes.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The solution to speed related accidents will come in time - we have the technology already.

Every new car will come fitted with a GPS connected speed regulator - GPS already knows where you are on the planet and what the speed limit is for that particular road.
Not, then, difficult to build in a speed regulator to the car, linked to this. So that it will not be possible for folk to drive faster than the speed limit for the given road you are travelling on.
Emergency vehicles will, of course, have an override on this restrictor when their blue lights are on.
These high-speed police chases will be a thing of the past, as will traffic hold-ups due to accidents that were caused by speeding idiots.

There will be OUTCRY from the civil liberties mob - I want to drive as fast as I like, folk - but would this not be a good implementation, long term?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) can confirm the UK’s 2 millionth uninsured vehicle has been seized.

MIB data provided exclusively by UK police forces showed in January 2020, more than 2 million uninsured vehicles had been seized since powers to stop and seize uninsured vehicles were introduced in 2005.

Every 20 minutes someone in the UK is injured by an uninsured or untraced ‘hit and run’ driver, with many suffering life-changing injuries. This equates to 26,000 injuries each year or nearly one in every five road traffic casualties.

https://www.mib.org.uk/media-centre...seize-the-uk-s-2-millionth-uninsured-vehicle/

Although I once saw a cyclist riding through a red light, so that pretty much evens things up.

And apparently, there are one million - one million! - uninsured drivers on the roads.
In some places there are more people nicked for uninsured driving driving than for speeding.
Scary stats, to me -
https://www.tempcover.com/front-cover/news/uninsured-drivers-uk-region-map

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Problem is that cars can be purchased cheap and for cash. With insurance costing £1000 plus for under 30's it's cheaper to buy a banger and either run it into the ground or have it taken off you. When you get stopped you get a ban and/or points on a license that you don't have anyway. Plus a fine that you can't and therefor never will pay.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I had some cretin clone my number plate so they could avoid paying to insure, TAX and MOT the car. The only reason I found out about the **** was because he had had an accident with a bus meaning I got a phone call from my insurer. Thankfully it was all cleared up and the police were informed and managed to catch the *******.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Regardless of the legal element - its also a sad reflection that people are selfish and dont give a **** anymore.

Following on from another thread about faith in humanity - no - as people are lazy and selfish. And this is just another thing.

I could stop paying insurance - probably wont get caught, I could stop paying for the BBC, Spotify etc and just stream everything, not worry about the rules at the dump and just fly tip - someone will clear it up, spend all my money without thinking of the future as the government will be obligated to look after me etc etc.

I don't have any answers and whatever the government try to do will be attacked but I do get fed up with people pushing against a system or trying it on.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm sorry but I can't see any of these "x millionth y" things without immediately thinking of this

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
We should go back to tax discs and also insurance discs and an MOT disc. I know there is a database but a visual record would aid traffic wardens, police etc or the public to grass on them. its too easy for the scrots to get away with it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yet the moment a scheme it bought in to redress the balance the objections are deafening.
We all need to wake up to this.

Not praise the 2,000,000 cars off the road but question the 'illegal' accident every 20 bloody minutes.

I've calculated that the Police seize 4.5 cars every 20 bloody minutes. Seems they're just seizing the wrong ones. This wouldn't happen if we had a good old Stasi-style grassing system in place.

D

Deleted member 2719

So is there a breakdown on who these individual are? Young? Old, unemployed, Scottish, English, irish, welsh, Eastern European, leftie, righty, palace lovers?

I would hazard a guess?

And what are they driving Renault, mercs, range rovers, ford anglias?

I would hazard a guess?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We should go back to tax discs and also insurance discs and an MOT disc. I know there is a database but a visual record would aid traffic wardens, police etc or the public to grass on them. its too easy for the scrots to get away with it.

Isn't the point that they are catching more now because of ANPR?

The problem is that the fines don't act as a deterrent. They should represent something like 4 times the premium to cover that driver in that vehicle (not including any NCB and the like). Plus of course the car should be seized and auctioned off, or crushed if it's a lump of shit.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Isn't the point that they are catching more now because of ANPR?

The problem is that the fines don't act as a deterrent. They should represent something like 4 times the premium to cover that driver in that vehicle (not including any NCB and the like). Plus of course the car should be seized and auctioned off, or crushed if it's a lump of shit.

This plus some pressure brought to bear on the insurance companies. My 21 year old daughters insurance for a 10 year old Fiat 500 is over £2k pa which is ridiculous and thats with 2 years no claims bonus. That in itself is not an excuse for driving without insurance but it is an impediment to getting it for young people.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
This plus some pressure brought to bear on the insurance companies. My 21 year old daughters insurance for a 10 year old Fiat 500 is over £2k pa which is ridiculous and thats with 2 years no claims bonus. That in itself is not an excuse for driving without insurance but it is an impediment to getting it for young people.

Have you shopped around?

That premium seems ridiculous - who is the policy provider charging that?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
yet any insurance company charging much less than that is probably selling the policy at a loss because of the high risk of under 25s having an accident and the ridiculous costs incurred when an accident does happen. The insurance company I used to work for stopped providing cover of under 25s in most circumstances because they were getting too many high cost claims from it and it made their whole motor insurance business unprofitable.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That does sound over the top! Should consider things like a black box. Definitely shop around and do so every year. I'm guessing she's been driving for at least two years so that should bring the premium down. Problem is if you live in a city and park on the street that's going to bump up premiums.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here