Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police Chases

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
a simple solution would prevent car chases ever happening:

Fix a date in the future when all cars need to be fitted with gps tracking and 'speed governors' that prevent any vehicle exceeding the speed limited designated for the road that it's on.

It would also mean all speed ramps could be abolished!

Would probably save several hundred lives per year too.

Won't be adopted, of course, because all the jeremy clarksuckers out there (and their motor manufacturing parliamentary lobbyist pay masters) would object to drivers not having the 'freedom' to choose to buy a car that can do twice the legal limit of any road in the country.

green alert!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having only just watched the video and not read all of the comments so this may have been mentioned previously,if so apologies, why 9 cars in a line chasing a vehicle why not just 2 or 3 so if they lost the vehicle they could go down other routes or I dont know the cost involved but could they not have the helicopter patrolling all of Sussex and could be called in and be on the scene in minutes or a small spotter plane like Capital Radio use for their traffic updates. As regards the actual chase instead of 9 cars why not use a couple of motor bikes which are more manoeuvrable and could probably pass the van or car on a narrow road and riding side by side could probably gradually slow the van down or give a report to pre play a stop for the vehicle.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Won't be adopted, of course, because all the Jeremy Clarksuckers out there (and their motor manufacturing parliamentary lobbyist pay masters) would object to drivers not having the 'freedom' to choose to buy a car that can do twice the legal limit of any road in the country.

Thank **** for that, I would be wasting my time paying extra on insurance,tax (road fund licence) and fuel servicing costs on the high performance cars.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Having only just watched the video and not read all of the comments so this may have been mentioned previously,if so apologies, why 9 cars in a line chasing a vehicle why not just 2 or 3 so if they lost the vehicle they could go down other routes or I dont know the cost involved but could they not have the helicopter patrolling all of Sussex and could be called in and be on the scene in minutes or a small spotter plane like Capital Radio use for their traffic updates. As regards the actual chase instead of 9 cars why not use a couple of motor bikes which are more manoeuvrable and could probably pass the van or car on a narrow road and riding side by side could probably gradually slow the van down or give a report to pre play a stop for the vehicle.

Read the comments it answers your questions.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

All the answers to your questions are in this thread, start from page 1.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
As regards the actual chase instead of 9 cars why not use a couple of motor bikes which are more manoeuvrable and could probably pass the van or car on a narrow road and riding side by side could probably gradually slow the van down or give a report to pre play a stop for the vehicle.

Transit van V a motorbike :facepalm: did you see the state of the police cars ?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Read the comments it answers your questions.

No, it gives opinions. Can I just say that, just because something has always been done in a certain way, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best way. And as for the poster that said that this man had to be stopped because he was drunk and drugged up, how is it better to cause him to drive at speed? Once the adrenalin starts pumping he was going to stop at nothing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Transit van V a motorbike :facepalm: did you see the state of the police cars ?

I would think that police motor cyclists are expert at gradually slowing down without it being too noticeable and if in danger could accelerate away quicker than a car. A police car couldnt overtake the van on those roads but a motor bike could.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
No, it gives opinions. Can I just say that, just because something has always been done in a certain way, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best way. And as for the poster that said that this man had to be stopped because he was drunk and drugged up, how is it better to cause him to drive at speed? Once the adrenalin starts pumping he was going to stop at nothing.

It still clearly answers his questions and saves another 3 pages of going over the same stuff, if he reads the 3 pages it saves the same OPINIONS ETC ETC of being given all over again!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

I wouldn't regard Edna's comments as an opinion due to the fact she is in the job and has first hand knowledge.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I would think that police motor cyclists are expert at gradually slowing down without it being too noticeable and if in danger could accelerate away quicker than a car. A police car couldnt overtake the van on those roads but a motor bike could.

And what if the driver of the stolen vehicle suddenly decided to ram the police motor cyclist? He wouldn't stand a chance.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage

Clueless ! Are you honestly saying its a good idea to put a 3T van up against a bloke on a bike ?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Ahh but what IF the Police motorcyclist had a pillion rider who was equipped with a missile launcher? the car wouldn't stand a chance!

This is a good idea, but an even better idea would be to have the helicopter equipped with machine guns, then he could hover over the van and unleash shock and awe on it, Blue Thunder style !

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'm not wading through the whole thread but I saw this chase, we'd just left Drusilla's, heading west. Van driver was overtaking like a maniac and we thought "blimey, he's quite the danger man". Only to then have around 6 OB whizz past, then another couple, then a few more... And thought that surely they couldn't ALL be after the van!!? Turned out they were when I saw the Argus!

I know.. That is a pretty cool story bro.

Is the meerkat enclosure still the highlight of the visit? Been years since I last went to Drusillas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here