Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Poker

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
So I've got a Poker night tonight with a group of mates from football. I played a little bit a few years ago but I am very much a rookie and I think a few of the guys going play a bit.

I know there a number of Poker players on NSC so wonder if I could get any tips that might help me at all?! We'll be playing Texas Hold 'em which is just as well as it's the only variation I know!

Pickles

May 5, 2014
If a young chap called Tay is playing, cut out the middleman and give your cash straight to him.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Stay at least as sober as the others. Drink won`t change the cards you get but will massively affect your ability to keep "Poker Face" when dealt a great hand.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I did this last December. I was sober, everyone else was drinking.

I won £260, cleaned up.

Afterwards, one of the guys (in the final 2 with me) admitted he thought I was drunk because I went through a whole bottle of gin. But it was Gordon's 0.0%!!!!! So maybe that's the advice I give. Get a bottle of 0, maybe stick another label over it for added effect!

Jul 7, 2003
Download one of the free play games (not the true gambling apps) and get a bit of practice in advance.

We have an annual poker game in memory of a friend who died in an accident tomorrow. First few hands are never great as most of only play once a year and we have the winning hand guides printed off to help us get up to speed.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Bet the first few hands whatever you've got. Ideally make sure your mates see them. Hopefully, they will think you are stupid.

Then tighten up and bet decent hands.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can highly recommend having a train to catch home. Works for one of our poker school's regulars who always seems to need to leg it for the last train when doing well in a tournament or up in a cash game.

Once you're a bit more experienced consider inserting breaks for smoking and cheese into the evening,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh, and make sure if you go out that you buy back in and immediately go all in blind. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here