Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pogba - £100 million

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/16/paul-pogba-hits-out-at-manchester-uniteds-300k-a-week-nothing-offer

Sounds like Pogba is appalled at his treatment at United and their derisory £300k per week offer to stay. Sure he will prove them wrong.

Weirdly, if he's on £300k and is only offered a £10k pay rise to stay then I can understand why a football would be unhappy with that because that's the market the game has created. Should he go elsewhere, I expect he'll end up on more on account of him leaving on a free.

I also think that he's been a lightning rod for United's continued ineptitude, when they never moved to properly give him the platform he needs. Pogba was best at Juve with Pirlo in behind him, so he had an older head to keep him in check. United needed something similar and he ended up in a rotating midfield of bit part players in which he had no defined position.

Of course, if he's truly "world class" he should be able to make the most of it but United are a shambles and have been for years. Pogba wasn't the cause, and him leaving isn't the solution.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Weirdly, if he's on £300k and is only offered a £10k pay rise to stay then I can understand why a football would be unhappy with that because that's the market the game has created. Should he go elsewhere, I expect he'll end up on more on account of him leaving on a free.

I also think that he's been a lightning rod for United's continued ineptitude, when they never moved to properly give him the platform he needs. Pogba was best at Juve with Pirlo in behind him, so he had an older head to keep him in check. United needed something similar and he ended up in a rotating midfield of bit part players in which he had no defined position.

Of course, if he's truly "world class" he should be able to make the most of it but United are a shambles and have been for years. Pogba wasn't the cause, and him leaving isn't the solution.

He could just be concerned about the cost of living crisis, £10k is only a 3.3 % in real terms it's a pay cut

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Worst transfer in PL history?

Let him go to Juve on a free

Paid 80 million and 300k a week to get him back

Left of a free after 5 years of average.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
He could just be concerned about the cost of living crisis, £10k is only a 3.3 % in real terms it's a pay cut

Absolutely, realistically he would probably expect a pay RISE so something like 5% on top of inflation so approx 16% pay rise if inflation as expected peaks at around 11% so more like £350k per week. He's probably miffed at seeing the likes of Wimbledon being able to increase their prize money by over 10% to protect the tennis stars from the inflationary increases and the US Open golf has increased prize money by as whopping 40% this year to reward the players for their work and success.

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Worst transfer in PL history?

Let him go to Juve on a free

Paid 80 million and 300k a week to get him back

Left of a free after 5 years of average.

I don't know... Lukaku for Chelsea hasn't been great:

Signed for £10m;
Sent on loan for 2 seasons where he scored goals;
Sold to Everton for £28m where he scored 1 in 2;
Bought him back from Inter 4 years (and 130 goals) later for £100m;
Now loaning back to Inter because he's not actually been any good for them.

That's about £85m spent on a player that's scored 8 goals for them over two stints. At least Pogba had flashes of class in a United shirt in those 5 years, Lukaku has never looked like he was going to succeed at Chelsea.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't know... Lukaku for Chelsea hasn't been great:

Signed for £10m;
Sent on loan for 2 seasons where he scored goals;
Sold to Everton for £28m where he scored 1 in 2;
Bought him back from Inter 4 years (and 130 goals) later for £100m;
Now loaning back to Inter because he's not actually been any good for them.

That's about £85m spent on a player that's scored 8 goals for them over two stints. At least Pogba had flashes of class in a United shirt in those 5 years, Lukaku has never looked like he was going to succeed at Chelsea.

Good shout - I think chelsea not losing him on a free first time is a positive and they will get a fee this summer, those loan stints would have at least covered his wages, May have even got a fee as well.

Still Pogba for me I think.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
let us not forget he will be taxed 45% on that, unless of course he banks in Jersey, Guernsey or similar.

I would be distraught to £100k plus a week to this Tory government

You might be, but we'd all thank you for it as we need the money - and think you should pay it. (The same as we do). And if some entrepreneur (or even a corporation like Google) boasted that they didn't like the Tories and that they'd managed to avoid paying UK tax, I'm pretty sure you won't be saying 'Good on them!'

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The sooner this binner pisses off to Italy the better.

Year after year after year there is transfer speculation about Pogba. It is SO boring. He was brought it to be the new Bryan Robson / Roy Keane talismanic midfielder but has flopped badly.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
let us not forget he will be taxed 45% on that, unless of course he banks in Jersey, Guernsey or similar.

I would be distraught to £100k plus a week to this Tory government

There was a time when players wage rates were discussed 'after tax', either way, these players pay a lot of tax.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Year after year after year there is transfer speculation about Pogba. It is SO boring. He was brought it to be the new Bryan Robson / Roy Keane talismanic midfielder but has flopped badly.

Yeah can't imagine Roy Keane reacting badly when faced with a badly run team and poor management.

And Robson was thoroughly professional throughout his playing and management career

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

i think he has done an outstanding job at United and will be sad to see him depart...:lolol:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Where he banks has no impact whatsoever on the UK income tax on his UK work (i.e. the majority of his income from MU).

Potentially it shields his non-UK income from UK income tax*, but it will still be taxable in the country where the work was performed.

* because of the nonsensical way the remittance basis of taxation works.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here