Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Please help Southwick FC!

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
in the 70's and 80's the standard of the County League was quite high with young players released from the Albion, ex pros living in the area and those not wanting all the travelling involved with the next level up, all playing CL football. Many CL players represented Sussex and it was considered an honour. Sussex and CL rep sides were scrapped when no-one wanted to play (if they didn't get paid).

Not sure if it's a coincidence but since the advent of Sky, FIFA games, etc fewer young men play football on a Saturday afternoon (or at all). I've heard that the ones that do try to emulate PL players by wearing headphones when walking from their car to the changing rooms, eat a special meal at an exact time before ko, dose up on high energy drinks, spend fortunes on the latest boots, tattoos, and …….you know ………. !!! The similarities end when the whistle blows for ko!

Thanks for that. When I’ve played Sunday League it always seemed like there was a psycho on each side who’d be up for hitting someone at any minute. Put me right off. I’d play football every day if I could, it’s what I love doing most, but none of my mates want to play these days. Too close to 30 to join any team too! Do County League players get paid? Is the standard that much different from Sunday League? Is it mainly to do with fitness?

I hate all that ‘mixing football with fashion’ crap and energy drinks are bad for you.

Anyway, good to keep this thread ticking over. As I said before, my grandad was on the Southwick FC committee during the 70’s/80’s. I’ve got to help somehow.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Thanks for that. When I’ve played Sunday League it always seemed like there was a psycho on each side who’d be up for hitting someone at any minute. Put me right off. I’d play football every day if I could, it’s what I love doing most, but none of my mates want to play these days. Too close to 30 to join any team too! Do County League players get paid? Is the standard that much different from Sunday League? Is it mainly to do with fitness?

I hate all that ‘mixing football with fashion’ crap and energy drinks are bad for you.

Anyway, good to keep this thread ticking over. As I said before, my grandad was on the Southwick FC committee during the 70’s/80’s. I’ve got to help somehow.

Each year in the CL a team seems to come from nowhere with great ambitions for winning the league, gaining promotion and improving their facilities. They attract the better players by paying money they can ill afford. The cracks start to appear around Xmas when wages fail to get paid, clubs try to renegotiate what has been promised and players leave. So yes a few clubs pay a lot, some pay modest amounts (£25 pmatch?) and some nothing.
I’d say the standard is much better than the Sunday League, that I understand gets smaller each season. CL is better organised than SL with referees, enclosed grounds, floodlights, decent facilities, usually no subscriptions, and where your “psychos” are called “tough tackling midfielders”. Most CL players are fairly fit, whereas SL teams often struggle to get 11 players.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Huge progress is being made already as the local community rallies round the bid to return to Old Barn Way as a community club and the first game for Southwick 1882 is 2pm tomorrow on Southwick Rec, top pitch.
Thanks to a certain Big Al for the banner!
All welcome but PLEASE observe the COVID-secure measures in place.
At least we're playing 200 yards from the old ground not 70 miles.
And I hope it won't take 14 years to get the ground back :)

The banner.jpeg

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Good Luck Wickers.
I knew Shep pretty well and a few of my old school mates played in their famous FA Cup first round game at Bournemouth. A great day out despite the result.
Let’s hope all the pressure pays off and they can secure their rightful place in Old Barn Way.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Ralf Rangnick, the massively successful German manager who just took RB Leipzig (yes, I know.. :)) to the semifinal of the Champions League and played for Southwick in 1980 while studying in Brighton, has donated £1000 to the #bringhomethewickers campaign and sent us a message of support. Vielen Dank Mein Herr.
Getting loads of local and national support. 130 watching last week. Next game tomorrow 2pm at Southwick Rec, top pitch, socially distanced, Covid-19 tracing app. I like you shall be watching the Albion on my phone of course (multitasking for the last 20 mins) but if you're local you could stagger along afterwards ;)

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Ralf Rangnick, the massively successful German manager who just took RB Leipzig (yes, I know.. :)) to the semifinal of the Champions League and played for Southwick in 1980 while studying in Brighton, has donated £1000 to the #bringhomethewickers campaign and sent us a message of support. Vielen Dank Mein Herr.
Getting loads of local and national support. 130 watching last week. Next game tomorrow 2pm at Southwick Rec, top pitch, socially distanced, Covid-19 tracing app. I like you shall be watching the Albion on my phone of course (multitasking for the last 20 mins) but if you're local you could stagger along afterwards ;)

What a great gesture from Herr Rangnick :clap::clap:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
:clap:

Football coming home to Southwick

Football is set to return to Southwick with Adur District Council agreeing a deal with a former Premier League footballer’s charity to take over the facilities in Old Barn Way.

Due to significant mismanagement issues and safety concerns, the Council ended the agreement with the former leaseholder at Southwick FC last year. Initial estimates suggested up to £500,000 of repairs would be required to bring it back into use. Since then, a widespread search for suitable operators has been carried out with terms for a new 25 year lease now being agreed with the Russell Martin Foundation (RMF), a Southwick-based not-for-profit organisation which uses the power of football to help change people’s lives.

The charity, which is backed by the former Norwich City and Rangers player, has plans to work with the council to refurbish the entire site, transforming it into a community football hub, which promotes health, wellbeing and education in the area. RMF has also agreed to offer the newly reformed Southwick Football Club (1882) the chance to use the ground for their home fixtures, meeting the ambition to return affiliated football to Old Barn Way.

While there is much work to do to make the site fit and safe for use, it is hoped the ground can be ready in time for the new season starting in September.

Cllr Emma Evans, Adur District Council’s Executive Member for Environment, said:“This is very much a home win, a great result for everyone involved.“We are well aware of the importance that Old Barn Way plays in the wider community which is why we havetaken time to ensure we found a suitable tenant who could add value to the site and offer a sustainable home for Southwick Football Club.

“The Russell Martin Foundation has gone from strength to strength in recent years and has a really good track record of using sport to help change people’s lives. They are locally based, committed to investing in the site and have experience in running similar facilities in a responsible and inclusive way.

“We’re really pleased to be entering into a long-term partnership with them and confident this deal will see the reformed Southwick Football Club returning to their spiritual home.” With terms for a new lease agreed, RMF along with the council will begin the process of making urgent repairs to make the site safe and secure. The ambition - pending the lifting of COVID restrictions and fundraising efforts to invest in the site - is for academy sessions to start in August ahead of league football beginning in September.

Longer term, RMF wants to install a sustainable cork based 3G pitch which will enable the ground to be used regularly all year round regardless of the weather and seek to upgrade facilities at the site to create a modern and fit for purpose community football hub.

To support these ambitions, the Council is set to agree the release of £50,000 of Section 106 seed funding to the charity to be spent directly on the ground.

Alan Sanders, Chief Executive of RMF, said:“We are under no illusions about the task ahead of us given the condition the site is currently in. However, we have been extremely pleased with the discussions we’ve had with the Council and Southwick 1882 who, like us, are fully committed to ensuring that we make a real success of this fantastic opportunity. We can’t wait to get started.”

Tony Kybett, Chairman of Southwick Football Club (1882), said:“We are absolutely delighted that we have been given the opportunity to return to our home at Old Barn Way and look forward to working in partnership with the Russell Martin Foundation and being an integral part of the community based football project that the residents of Southwick and Adur can be proud of. “Without the tremendous support we have received locally, nationally and internationally the football club would have ceased to exist. Although it has been a frustrating ten months we acknowledge the work carried out by the officers and staff at the Council during these extraordinary times. They have ensured the proud history of football in Southwick will continue.”

The Council has also agreed direct tenancy terms to retain Saferide Motorcycle & Scooter Training on the site, providing it with security from future tenancy issues and providing an ongoing income for the local authority.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here